Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 26th December 2012, 19:18

The 1958 Rocker is on a distinguished road
Default New name

Hi Andy,
like the rest, I am not sure about the name change, but respect you have your reasons which you may or may not be able to disclose at present.

I am not too sure about the ribble name, after all what if you were located next to a massive sewage works? Would it be called the Ribble Sh*t bag or T*rd.

I got interested in the Sammio concept because of the name being so suited to the ethos of the car. As all us older members will agree, never forget your roots. Really like what you are doing and where you are going, but feel that while you might need to distance yourself from the names, we all need to "belong".

I think it must be hard to defend your decision, when I get the feeling it is not a good time to explain why. Due to my marital situation this year the car has gone on hold and hence I didn't buy a "Sammio Spyder" body. I still want one and hope to buy one shortly now things are almost totally over. I will buy your Ribble valley whatever but will exercise my ability to use the Sammio name. On a more serious note can you tell me what the implications might be if I start with a Sammio chassis and reciept, and then "fit" a Ribble body with it's reciept and then take it for inspection with our lovely VOSA people.

Good luck and Happy Christmas/New Year

1958 Rocker (Simon)

Last edited by The 1958 Rocker; 26th December 2012 at 19:19.. Reason: missed word
Old 26th December 2012, 19:48

Default Ribble Pilot

Hi Andy,
just a quick one. Are you aware that there is a pub probably close to you guys called the Ribble Pilot? Just didn't know if there would be some sort of copyright or legal right on the name before you committed to it,
Regards
1958 Rocker
Old 27th December 2012, 15:53

Cycle2worker is on a distinguished road

Hi all

Hate my first post here to be negative in anyway but Ribble are a fairly well established and respected bicycle manufacturer in Lancashire with a well established web site it.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/

I've been lurking here a while since I first discovered the Spyder via Ebay and watching the various build sites and blogs. I'm slightly dismayed now that it sounds like its all going to go a bit up market (expensive) before I can get the money together for a kit but I suppose that’s better than going bust before I get the money together.

Good luck with the move and rebranding, even if I'm not a fan of the name, it has moved me to join the form which is one step nearer buying a kit

Last edited by Cycle2worker; 27th December 2012 at 15:58..
Old 28th December 2012, 08:44

CarNoob is on a distinguished road

ribble wibble tiddle
not exactly a power name to inspire.

Aston Martin, AC, Triumph, choose something with some umph.

can you imagin wow great car what is it .

ITS A RIBBLE! sounds te,ribble
Old 5th January 2013, 08:40

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Gents, A Very Happy New Year to you all. I've just popped my head above the parapet and will be posting much more about the changes being made soon but I thought it a good idea to allay the fears set above:

1958 Rocker: Yup, I know of the Ribble Pilot Pub and have had a few nice pints there whilst looking over the old Preston Docks. The pub is named after the same historical navigational assistant as the cars are now and as such, hold no ownership of that name. It's unlikely there will be any confusion around buying a kit car or a pie 'n' pint. As for DVLA, there won't be a problem there as the donor V5 will say Triumph ******, the receipt from us will be for a 'pilot' shell from 'Ribble Kits and Classics' and you can call the finished product whatever you like (For a precedent, there is the 'Martlet Special' seen here some time ago). I certainly don't have an issue with the naming of the final car. It's YOUR blood, sweat and tears that have gone into it and you certainly have the right to name it!

Cycle2Work - Yes, I do know of Ribble Cycles, as I also know of Ribble Motor Services, Ribble Steam Railway and many other local companies who have a pride in their location. Once established, it shouldn't be too confusing to people searching for Kit Cars or Bicycles to differentiate between companies. Your worry about going up market is completely unfounded. I have no intention of exceeding inflation, if at all, and if anything, I'm looking for ways of bringing the cost DOWN! (Mainly by introducing commonality between models and easing production times).

CarNoob - Each to their own with regard to liking the name. As I said before, the name of the finished car is up to the builder but your examples... AC, Is 'Auto Carriers' really a power name? ... Aston Martin, the Surname of Lionel Martin, one of the founders and their location (look! a precedent) of Aston Clinton combined? ... Triumph, yes I give you that as a good name, created by two Germans in 1885 building bicycles in Germany... Names get a 'hold' once the product is known and really it's the product and not the name that does the selling.

There is, as you would expect, a lot of work going on in the background so at present I have to make a call between fixing the current moulds, keeping production going (albeit slowly), designing a new model for the line up (and writing software to keep the bills paid whilst the slow period takes its toll) so writing to the forum may be sporadic but I'm here to read your comments when I take a breath. I look forward to a full re-launch at Stoneleigh (maybe with a new product on the line) and look forward to seeing as many of you there as possible. Intentions are currently to take an outdoor patch so as many of your vehicles as possible can join in the fun.
Back soon with more news

Last edited by AndyP57; 5th January 2013 at 09:25..
Old 5th January 2013, 09:07

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Good reply, with details and background info.

The new face of customer service?

I wish you all luck. Keep us forumites informed from time to time with postings like this and you will win the doubters round.

Happy new year
Old 5th January 2013, 09:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Nice to hear from you again, Andy.

You're absolutely right about the product making the name memorable - anyone fancy buying a product from Morris Garages ?

And by way of a competition, can anyone come up with a name, real or imagined, for this rather swish looking supercar?

Mmm, nice.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:32

Who gave you the 'leaked' photo of the Ribble Riot!
It wasn't supposed to be seen until Stoneleigh
Old 5th January 2013, 09:34

How about AUDI for a convoluted naming...
'The company name is based on the surname of the founder, August Horch. "Horch", meaning "listen", becomes "Audi" when translated into Latin'
Old 5th January 2013, 09:35

My first thought was the Ribble Dibble - the driver has to have loads of burnt cork dotted on his face (I wonder how many non ex RAF will understand that one?)
Old 5th January 2013, 10:55

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
And by way of a competition, can anyone come up with a name, real or imagined, for this rather swish looking supercar?
That would be a Gumpert! Terrible name (Quite like apollo though) but fantastic cars.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:12

That would indeed be a product from the catchily named Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur GmbH. Well done.
Old 5th January 2013, 15:50

seanick is on a distinguished road

Thank you for you reply Andy. Good to hear things are happening behind the scenes. It would be good if you could list pics and a few words of what you are doing to keep us all interested. This 'development in progress' is fascinating for us lurkers, and maintains interest and momentum. This technique seems to have worked well for Gary and also the very successful Tribute Automotive. I think you will generate more sales andwebsite hits if we can see what you are up to. It only takes a few moments! I have to say though if you are going to get done what I think you re going to do, and do it part time you had better get a wiggle on!

Last edited by seanick; 5th January 2013 at 17:51..
Old 5th January 2013, 17:48

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

The plot thickens
Old 5th January 2013, 18:10

Default Thanks

Hi Andy,
thanks for the reply. I hope you were not offended by the tongue in cheek comments, as we all only want what's best for you and the product. Good luck for the future and will speak soon
Regards
Simon
Old 5th January 2013, 21:08

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
... It would be good if you could list pics and a few words of what you are doing to keep us all interested...
[Completely Biased Opinion]

Especially on the Ribble Navigator Demonstrator build.

[/Shameless Self Interest]

Jokes aside, thanks for the PM Andy and you know I will back your new venture.

If I get the chance I will update the Useful links thread tomorrow with the latest company history.

Good luck, Paul.