Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 14th August 2014, 20:23
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Tempting, but my next project(s) will almost certainly wear the prancing horse -

Just look at the front and profile of this and compare it with the above
Ideas stolen perhaps

Old 14th August 2014, 20:46

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Actually, you've got a good point there. Will there be a hump-free option?

Given that a famous 375 MM Spider is going to auction on Saturday (last one sold went for U.S. $9,075,000 in 2013) it could be an opportune time to offer a kit...

http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/07/11/1...ecum-auctions/
Old 14th August 2014, 20:51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvs6PdyhSRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hgp6UCPM5c

Last edited by Mister Towed; 14th August 2014 at 20:54..
Old 15th August 2014, 09:52
Enthusiast

Quote:
Actually, you've got a good point there. Will there be a hump-free option?

]
There sure will be now, maybe even a little work to the nose and an air scoop on the rear arch
Old 15th August 2014, 10:17

garyh is on a distinguished road

The yellow numbers with black keyline look good too.
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:59
Enthusiast

Well I am afraid I'm going to have to eat loads of "humble pie". because I got it all wrong

This past few weeks I have been shocked at the amount of interest still remaining in the Sammio/Ribble bodies.
The little car just won't die!! Gary J must have got it right first time

Already I have taken 2 firm orders , (deposit paid ) and are both are from France.
I also have a French chap saying he wants to buy Sammio's on regular basics ( we'll wait and see on that one ).

So the bottom line is the Navigator/Cordite now has to stay in production but we just have to look at "Swiftys", "Viatron", " Paul L", build threads to know how much work is need to make it presentable on a chassis, in fact every thread has some reference to the poor shape of the body.

Andy57 and Viatron tried to make it better but time and money was against them.

After much thought, plenty of Hob-Nobs, a large overdraft and much help from Chris and Dan at TRIBUTE AUTOMOTIVE, I have decided to re-work the original buck where Viatron and Andy57 left it.
The original buck was collected today from Ribble HQ and will be delivered to Chris and Dan next week.
I am hoping the new bodies will be ready late November time but as we all know this might change

It will be called the SAMMIO SPYDER and built around the Spitfire chassis but a LWB Herald version will be available if demand is there.

The body featured in this listing will still be developed and (again hopefully) be ready for 2015 Stoneleigh show.
This will be called the "A1 ALPHA".
Again I have already sold the prototype AI ALPHA to a forum member who will have some in-put on the build.

A change in direction I know but business is all about supply and demand so while the Spyder is in demand I'll keep supplying it
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:09

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mike - I look forward to seeing what the new Sammio Spyder looks like.

I am sure the "Cordite MkIII" will finally be the car that I thought I was buying.

Mac and Swifty have certainly provided great guides to what is required to get a good body shell.
( Despite all my efforts, my car will always look a bit lopsided. )

Good luck, Paul.

PS
Do Chris & Dan ever rest?
Old 3rd October 2014, 08:55

Good luck with the project, I didn't think there was much wrong with the Spyder body in the first place.

I identified six issues on the body, none of which were serious:

The bonnet wouldn't fit over my Vitesse engine without the addition of a scoop (to be fair I could have modified the engine mounts as my motor sits at a much higher angle than Phil and Barry's donors' engines do);

There was a flat spot at 11 o-clock on the offside front wheelarch;

The nearside cockpit edge had a dip in it;

The rear lower corners of the bonnet needed shaping so they matched the curve of the body tub;

The offside sill didn't drop low enough to cover the outer chassis rail;

The bottom edge of the rear valance was angled down from the offside to the nearside;

None of these proved to be too difficult to rectify, but sort those out and you'll save builders a fair bit of time.

There are other irregularities in the body I got, but none significant enough to detract from the overall effect. In fact, if you don't like random people of all ages and backgrounds gushing about how much they love your car, don't build one of these!

Old 3rd October 2014, 09:09
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Mike - I look forward to seeing what the new Sammio Spyder looks like.

I am sure the "Cordite MkIII" will finally be the car that I thought I was buying. :icon_wink

Third time lucky, this time we will try and get it right
Up until now everyone has accepted the "faults" with-in the whole Sammio/Ribble range but why should they.
It is my feeling that every body is pis**ff with the poor quality of the Sammio/Ribble bodies but just accept it, WHY.

The new bodies will look no different just "fit for purpose", fit being the main point.
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:22
Enthusiast

Quote:
Good luck with the project, I didn't think there was much wrong with the Spyder body in the first place.

.There are other irregularities in the body I got, but none significant enough to detract from the overall effect. In fact, if you don't like random people of all ages and backgrounds gushing about how much they love your car, don't build one of these!

Well said MrT, these little cars hit the spot fist time, and appeal to a huge range of people but they could be better.
One main area you forgot to mention is the schuttle panel "hump" is off centre (throughout the range), simple things like this really winds me up because it should have been sorted long-ago.
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
One main area you forgot to mention is the schuttle panel "hump" is off centre (throughout the range)
Erm, hadn't actually ever noticed that one. Still, I won't say anything if you don't.
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:11

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Up until now everyone has accepted the "faults" with-in the whole Sammio/Ribble range but why should they.
It is my feeling that every body is pis**ff with the poor quality of the Sammio/Ribble bodies but just accept it, WHY.
I think you'd be surprised, in a pleasant way!

IMHO a lot of the appeal of the Sammio range (whoo hoo for the reintroduction of the Spyder name BTW!) is that it _is_ cheap-n-cheery and you get what you pay for. And that has always been made clear right from the start and so people embark on their projects accepting that.

Yes i know there are some well documented projects on here that demonstrate some of the 'quirks' of the old girl. my Spyder build included! and others like Pauls that show what is needed if you are after perfection. or symmetry!

But Given that there have been well over a 100 Spyders sold (that i'm aware of) the majority of people that i have talked to that have built them have been more than happy with what they got and most thoroughly enjoyed the 'personalisation'

That said... i can't imagine that a bit more symmetry wouldn't go amiss

Best of luck matey!
Old 3rd October 2014, 13:30

As far as the original Sammio Spyder is concerned, I think "cheap & cheerful" is a fair description.

However, the politest way that I can describe the original Sammio Cordite was "cheap & nasty".

Gary looked me in the eye and told me all the small symmetry issues with the Spyder (see Mr T's post above) had been fixed on the Cordite.

So I honestly believed there was going to be less work required on the Cordite compared to the Spyder.

If Gary had not sold the business I would have returned everything to him under the sale of goods act.
( As it was neither as described, of satisfactory quality, nor fit for purpose. )

But as AndyP57 had just taken over, I decided to support his new venture and work with what I had.

Obviously I had no idea just how much work would actually be required, but that is another story.

If Chris & Dan can help Micky1Mo produce a body shell that works "out of the box", with no modifications required, it will be a real winner.

There is still plenty of scope for each builder to add their own individual touches to areas like the dash, cockpit interior, rear lighting, etc.

I'd love to see more Spitfire based Sammio Spyders on the road, as there seems to be a lot of abandoned Cordites out there.

Anyway, I hope that didn't come across as too much of a RANT, as I wish Mike all the best.
( And will update the useful links thread properly when the dust has settled. )

Good luck, Paul.
Old 3rd October 2014, 14:06

garyh is on a distinguished road

I agree Paul, i'm sure it has put many people off... ashame, as we would have some builds on here.
Old 3rd October 2014, 19:38
Enthusiast

DAVECYMRU, I think there have been nearer 200 Sammio/Ribble bodies sold
You are welcome to come and have a nose around my workshop anytime, kettle is always on

PAUL L, That's an honest answer, thank you.

GARYH, I think a re-worked body sold at a far price will attract a few more forum members.

Mr T, Have you checked your hump yet.
Old 4th October 2014, 12:17

Quote:

Mr T, Have you checked your hump yet.
Looking at it now I see that the original bonnet bulge isn't quite central. The overall undulating shape of the body hides that asymmetry though and I'd honestly never noticed it before.

The addition of a random scoop here and there further disguises the issue and nobody's ever commented on it to me.

You wouldn't believe the positive attention these three amateur built specials get when we're in convoy or parked up together or individually. Sammio Spyders really are great looking cars, despite all their inherent irregularities -

Old 4th October 2014, 13:19

Quote:
... Sammio Spyders really are great looking cars ...
Fully agree with you Mr T.

The first time I saw "66" in a magazine it hooked me so completely that I joined the forum and look where that lead me.

I've always loved those photos of you, Phil & Barry and dream of the day I can join your convoy.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 4th October 2014, 15:56
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas123mas View Post
Do you mean one of these:-

Being a fan of the Vintage style of car I always thought the AF Sports was a lovely car so would love to see it make a come back. Was kicking myself a few years ago for passing up on an unstarted kit that came up for sale on Madabout, was only £500 at the time but funds were going elsewhere.

What are your thoughts with regard offering it again, based on a Triumph chassis or do you have the chassis jigs as well?

John
Old 4th October 2014, 18:12
Enthusiast

Quote:

You wouldn't believe the positive attention these three amateur built specials get when we're in convoy or parked up together or individually. Sammio Spyders really are great looking cars, despite all their inherent irregularities -

I also fully agree, builders turn them into great cars.
But why should a buyer spend (what is to some) a large sum of money, accept what is a sub-standard projuct and then spend time, money and pleny of effort trying to putting it "somewhere near right".
Why not make it "somewhere near right" in the first place

Without the "accepted inherent irregularities" or should I say "built in faults" they can only be better and maybe attract more builders.
Old 4th October 2014, 18:54
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
What are your thoughts with regard offering it again, based on a Triumph chassis or do you have the chassis jigs as well?

John
The wheel base is about 110" so Reliant GTE chassis would be the next best thing.
The moulds are here so may-be next year unless you want a body laying-up over the next few weeks ?