Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 10th October 2014, 22:54

DapperDan is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Alert !!!!

Hi Chaps (and any Chapettes?)

The dreaded newbie intro thread/post! Apologise if there is a dedicated intro thread somewhere but I couldnt see it?

So..... probably like a good few of you in the past, last night I stumbled across the whole Ribble/ Sammio / Miglia - world by accident... I think I was looking at classic brit sports cars on ebay and stumbled upon the red ribble demo car for sale for 5 grand?...thought it was a typo or error at that price!! so delved further....discovered the ribble and Miglia website, then got only about 3 hours sleep last night like an over excited schoolboy searching the entire net for info, pics and then a good fews hours in youtube land watching anything sammio/ribble/ Miglia related... have spent all day with a grin talking about this new car/triumph/kit that ive discovered and how great and stylish and on point they all look....how simple the conversion looks (im no mechanic)...I even went out today and bought Triumph World magazine... lol
By tea time tonight I had decided I need to build about 3 as I cant decide on just one colour/wheel combo or which exact models/ variations I prefer .

So of course ultimately late today I landed here! and have spent a good few hours trawling through pics and threads and have established you are mostly a seemingly very nice and helpful bunch of people! .. But I also now discover there is not only yet MORE changes recently regarding the various kits, names, who owns what company etc....but I also read things are not quite as quick and simple as the various sites make them out?...but...going by some pics of finished cars....excellent examples are achievable!

So...I suppose first off....Hi everyone....Im Dan.... 41, obsessed with vintage and classic cars and historic motorsport.... love anything old or vintage full stop...antiques, style, fashion.. you name it. I wish Goodwood Revival was 365 days a year!...

So before I get any more excited and continue planning my un purchased project or kit in my head....can someone briefly (if thats possible) just sum up what is the current state of play? who now owns what? what are the models now available? what are they based on? whats in the pipeline?

it seems most are leaning toward the spitfire based stuff over the herald? what is the reason?...is the shorter wheelbase better? in looks or handling?

and secondly (lastly for now)...I stumbled upon someones build blog online who had fitted 15" wire wheels which if its possible would definitely be my choice as it (to me) fills the arch more and looks better.....how easy is this? he fitted a sleeve to the steering to stop the wheels rubbing on full lock? and if so can 15" (presumable have to be triumph) wires fit all the different kits and models?

Bye for now....jesus...I went on a bit sorry! (excited schoolboy in the house!)

Dan

p.s.. can the two guys who film all the youtube sammio vids buy themselves a new video camera that doesnt go all bendy and distorted ha ha....thought I had an inner ear infection !
Available from eBay
Old 10th October 2014, 22:56

Default Pics thread/ gallery

I forgot to ask.... is there a thread on here anywhere which is just pics/gallery of finished ribble/sammio/miglia cars?...ive belonged to other forums (VW etc) with such threads?..makes it easy to just scan through a thread of images for ideas/ decisions/ colours etc rather than hunting via google etc?.
Old 10th October 2014, 23:51

swifty is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the fold DapperDan i am sure you will not be disappointed which ever kit you decide on, each has it's own benefits and i believe the guy who now has the rights to the Sammio is sorting out the spitfire body issues which I've no doubt you will be aware of after reading some of the threads, just remember one thing once the bug gets a hold it does not let go.

Which ever kit you go for i look forward to reading all about it and good luck.

Last edited by swifty; 4th December 2014 at 21:16.. Reason: typo
Old 11th October 2014, 00:18

Thanks swifty!

To be honest....after having a nose through your own build thread I reckon ribble/ sammio or the other bunch should be hiring you!! Incredible work

Cant they copy your frame design and take a mould from your fixed symmetrical body? then everything will be just perfect ...I have OCD so im already worrying about having a wonky body (not my 41 yr old one....thats way beyond wonky!)

Anyone have an answer on the 15" wires question? turns out the page I saw was a miglia not a sammio from a guy called Tony? (is he on here?) Im kind of keen to start keeping my eyes open for a set if they pop up on ebay and get them restored/ powder coated (black) with chrome spinners...that way...if I own a set of finished rims...it will mean I HAVE to pull my finger out and buy a donor and a kit

Last edited by DapperDan; 11th October 2014 at 00:37..
Old 11th October 2014, 09:42

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Hello matey and welcome.

As good a place to start as any is here: http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3526

It's got links to a number of completed cars.

15" wires, yup - possible and I had them on my old Spyder, there is a link to the build and on-the-road thread on the above page. Just be prepared to alter the rack or apply garage-tool-No.1! (big ammer!)
"MGB Hive" should be your first port of call if you're after a 2nd hand set!

As far as Donors are concerned, Spitfire/Herald/Vitesse, I don't think there is a hard-n-fast reason to choose one over another. Personally I prefer the straight-6 in the Vitesse!

If you want to source a donor, and for _lots_ of help with bits, try "Spitfire Graveyard" as they normally have a whole tons of stuff lying around! e-bay tends to be a bit overpriced as that is where all the sofa surfers and dreamers go, but if you put in some legwork ringing around the old-skool suppliers you can normally get a much better deal!

You've already picked up on the fact that this is generally a nice bunch of people on these forums who are here to post, chat and blatantly steal each others ideas

Best of luck with whatever you do!
Old 11th October 2014, 09:55
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Hi DapperDan, as you might have read the whole RIBBLE/SAMMIO thing is now in my charge.

Right now the " body conversion " (have to say that for the DVLA forms) are not available because in my opinion the are not up to standard, to be honest I am too embarrassed to sell them in there current state . That said the Herald body conversion is not to bad so might be available.

Over the next few weeks the moulds will be re-worked and will actually fit some where near right

14" wire wheel are easy to find and at a fair price. These are normally fitted and fill the arches well but it's your car so if you want 15" wheel then you fit them

My work shop is in Swindon, Wiltshire, 10 min from J16, M4.
Why not call-in, have a look-see and a chat the kettle is always on

I also have a secret weapon in the fact that I,m only down the road from a major retail outlet village so you can drop off the other half and call-in

I'll PM the details.

Regards
Mike
Old 11th October 2014, 10:06

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi DapperDan, welcome to the forum.

It looks like you're at the stage I was just over three years ago when I stumbled upon the Sammio Spyder whilst trying to find an unstarted GP Spyder (Porsche 718 RSK) kit on ebay. It leapt out at me as a stunning looking homage to the fifties racing car that I could actually afford to build, and, like you feel now, I just had to have one.

Two years later and I was driving this home from the MOT centre with the world's biggest smile on my face -

To answer some of your questions, I believe the move towards Spitfire donors is solely due to numbers available - there are just less Heralds and Vitesses left so prices are rapidly rising - rather than anything to do with the looks or handling.

With the easily available adaptors and spinners - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMMIO-SPY...item51c2caec6d http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-4-M...item3a9893e87b - you can fit any 42mm splined wheels from the MG or TR5/6 range.

MGB 4.5x14's are cheap, plentiful, look the part and (with a bit of preparatory bulkhead bashing) fit perfectly with the right tyres, typically 175/80/14's.

15" wires in various widths from the MGA/MGC or Triumph TR5 or TR6 are harder to come by, tend to be more expensive and restrict your choice of tyre rather more if they're going to fit without serious fouling issues.

As a guide, 175/80/14 tyres just fit, so anything with a larger diameter is going to need more modification to the bulkhead and possibly the steering rack. You can use this calculator to compare different tyre sizes -

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/vis...ize-calculator

Interestingly, for a more modern look on a budget, MGF wheels have the same PCD as Triumph hubs so bolt straight on. I understand you need spacers on the back and you'd need to pick your tyres carefully, but the MGF 'minilite' style wheels don't look out of place on these cars and are really cheap - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-MG-TF-...item51c16da0d4

And finally, don't worry about the lack of symmetry in the body shells, nobody has ever pointed out that as an issue on my car as they're all too busy admiring and complimenting it.

If you go to Goodwood Revival and take a good look at the multi-million pound 50's racers there, you'll notice that they too tend to have little idiosyncracies in their designs that were forced by constant development, so a really 'true' body would actually look less authentic.

After all, these three Sammio 'originals' don't look too shabby now, do they.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 11th October 2014 at 10:14.. Reason: MFG wheels, really?
Old 11th October 2014, 11:17

garyh is on a distinguished road

Morning Dan, i'll have to read this later... as the wife is organised some more painting!
Old 11th October 2014, 17:44

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Dan where are you?
Mac
Old 11th October 2014, 18:35
Enthusiast

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I still think the original grills are just right for the car so I'm trying to get a supply to sell with the new bodies
If anybody can help with this please do

Forgot to say welcome DAPPER DAN
Old 12th October 2014, 17:42
Enthusiast

Hi Dapperdan,
Here a photo of the MGF "minilite" wheel Mr T was going on about

The tyres are 195/55/15.

You will need the correct wheel nuts and will need to save the lugs of the rear hub.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:19

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
I still think the original grills are just right for the car so I'm trying to get a supply to sell with the new bodies
My 2p on this would be that the egg-box grills are superb and are a good part of the Sammio 'look', but they were/are heavy steel items!

Now i know that we're not exactly scraping around for weight saving with our cars! But i always wondered if it would be possible to get one of the old steel ones and take a rubber mold from it so you could quickly and cheaply knock out resin ones?

Just an idea
Old 13th October 2014, 13:39

Sorry for late replies...have had a hectic few days!....just wanted to say how great all of your replies are! very helpful, lots of info, great links and advice thanks chaps.
Mr Towed, im curious where that waterside pic was as it looks like somewhere near to me?
I am in Kent by the way...
Also thanks for all the wheel advice...im pretty set on wires...just not decided 14 or 15" yet but I do like the 15" look.... most likely going to be either black powdercoat and chrome spinner or silver...but saying all that ill probably end up with chrome spokes lol.

Im not so keen on the more modern minilite look.... I do love minilites on some cars though....

As for my choices/decisions... what with all the advice and messages and wotnot im still unsure which kit/maker/body style/donor ill plump for...I like a lot about the Miglia....but I also like a lot about what im hearing regarding the new re birth and all the corrections to the sammio....so I guess ill wait until they appear before deciding but one thing is for sure...I WILL have one of these awesome cars whether it be sammio, miglia or anything similar....
I also think Swifty should start producing some of his little trick bits he machines!!...I know I would want them!

Lastly...I saw somewhere in a build thread someone who had a set of 15" TR6 wires but was opting for dunlop looking steels?... just wondered if the 15" wires were going to be sold?

DapperDan.
Old 13th October 2014, 14:16

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

It's Wells Next' The Sea, 17 miles East of Hunstanton on the North Norfolk coast. Well worth a visit in your 50's sports car.

Old 13th October 2014, 14:34

Ha...lovely!
Not the Shipwright arms at Oare Marshes in Faversham Creek then lol... looks great though!
Old 13th October 2014, 15:57

Just curious....are there any sammio/ribble/miglia owners in the Kent area?
I would love the chance to view a finished car in the flesh?

just a thought.
Old 13th October 2014, 16:16

garyh is on a distinguished road

I don't think there any finished ones...
Old 13th October 2014, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
I don't think there any finished ones...
Ha haa....you know what I mean
Old 13th October 2014, 17:07

Paul L is on a distinguished road

DapperDan - A belated welcome to the forum from me.

The good news about all the various choices you have mentioned above is that they can be built by amateurs.

I'm an accountant by trade and, like many others on here, I have learnt to weld and work with fibreglass during my build.

Just make sure you have a garage to work in and allow a lot more time that you originally think you'll need to build the car.

I think the original, Herald based, Sammio Spyder (assuming Micky1Mo would sell you one) is a still a good choice.

However, I am really looking forward to seeing what the new Spitfire based "Spyder" is going to look like.

The various name changes can be hard to keep up with, so here is a brief summary:

- Original Sammio Spyder - Triumph Herald based - Became Ribble Pilot.

- Original Sammio Cordite - Triumph Spitfire based - Became Ribble Navigator.
The original design of this model was abandoned, then re-built and re-launched with the same name.
( Although it is some times known on here as the Navigator MkII. )

- The Ribble Navigator is currently being re-designed and this MkIII version will be come the new Sammio Spyder - SWB.

- My understanding is that the Short Wheel Based version will then become the basis of a LWB version to fit the Herald.

- Similarly, the original Miglia Speedster - Triumph Herald based - now comes in a SWB version to fit the Spitfire.
( The first Spitfire version has just been delivered, so I am not sure if will have a different name )

I really hope I have got the hang of what is going on, but I've been wrong before.

Good luck with what ever you choose to build, Paul.

PS
Once upon a time this map of builder locations was started, but it isn't up to date.

Location map for all Sammios
Old 13th October 2014, 17:19

Cheers Paul!... I think that is all mostly how I had it in my head too but I am not going to lie and say I am still not confused by it all. It doesnt help that nearly all the models and makes looks identical to my eyes all bar doors or no doors ha ha
I do (I think) prefer the look of the longer wheelbase/longer nose herald versions but ive seen none of any model in the flesh so.....

Right now I just want a set of 15" wires to play with and get restored...Ill decide what they will go on later