Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Seven Style builds

Seven Style builds Westfields, Caterham, Dax Rush, Luego, Robin Hood, Tiger, Locust, MK, RAW, Quantum, you name it, you're building it, share it here.

Old 17th April 2008, 16:00
Kit Car Dreamer

rab_floyd is on a distinguished road
Talking help building budget caterham from scratch!!

hi, i'm going to attempt to build a caterham. it's my first ever build but there's a twist; i'm going to build the whole thing from scratch, I will need to get a donor car and lots of metal. i have got plans for frame and chassis but need to find out lots and ask loadzzz of questions.
first off, what is a suitable donor car which i could pick up at an auction? where can i buy moulds or how can i make them for making a fibreglass shell? do you have any extra knowledge i should know about making this car?
i will have plenty more so watch this space.
i have also posted some adverts on the freecycle network for 1" box section for the frame and bits n' peices, so hopefully sum1 will give me some.
also, what would be an ambitious but acheviable budget...i know about the £250 sports car book but even from scratch this would be impossible. at the same time, i dont have much more than that i can budget for the project, might be able to squeeze grand into it over time. its a project i want to put in more time than money.
thanks in advance!
Available from eBay
Old 17th April 2008, 17:35
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

If you haven't already found it look up the following web site

www.locostbuilders.co.uk

Hope your welding is good!

Robin

Also google locost kit car - you will be amazed at the amount of info out there!
Old 17th April 2008, 17:40
Kit Car Dreamer

thanks! my welding is well......lets say i will ned more practice. i welded a roll cage for a dune buggy and when i fliped it, only a few welds were broken, but i have picked up some tips, like gringing a small rebate to fill with weld on the joints, but haven't tried it yet. is arc welding ok? do you have any tips about welding? thanks again
Old 18th April 2008, 01:11
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Welcome to the forum Rab. Will be very interested to see your progress on this as its something I was planning on doing too once I've got the extension finished (will it ever end!!)

Was going to see how cheaply I could build one for doing everything from scratch. Unfortunately its got no further that buying the 'Build you own sportscar' book, which is currently just gathering dust. Using freecycle could be an inspired idea.

Budget currently -£13.50

John
Old 19th April 2008, 00:28
Kit Car Dreamer

looks like we have the same ideas then. just make sure you incorporate a nice garage into the extension.lol
Old 21st April 2008, 20:41
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road
Default Near Reading?

Rab

If you really want to carry this through, and it is possible with an iron will and a lot of determination, I have a couple of friend who did it as a joint project, who live in Reading.

If you are anywhere close I can put them in touch with you and you can hear how they felt after doing it the hard way.

Their car is a work of art and stunningly finished but has taken them a long time to get there.

Hope this helps.

eaa53
Old 9th August 2008, 01:36

alvin is on a distinguished road

personally ... mad! i ran the ''whitton special '' flat head ford to austin to wolesley ! amazing car cost me 32 pounds to build way back when ; wish u luck .
now am running a mirage lambourghrini countach v8 anniversary ... mad .. yes been declared so on paper!
rebult a moggie minor with v4 gas flowed corsair engine with bullet box and vauxhall magnum rear axle .. some 3k pounds (cost).. willis front .. fb .. loved her to bit s .. only one metric nut.
in 6 months and i was working .. you CAN DO IT PAL..
FORGET BHP unlees its bras hose panties .. .. hve fun ... buy .. make build whatever a kit car . !
u know it makes sense!!!
alvin

Last edited by alvin; 12th August 2008 at 03:01.. Reason: typos
Old 16th June 2009, 07:37

bit_burnt is on a distinguished road

and he never returned did he not!
Old 24th September 2009, 08:27

mikeross is on a distinguished road

I wanted to build a caterham too.. the superlight one.. And it's also my first time to build one.. starting from scratch and everything.. I'm currently looking for parts and all the other car accessories i will be needing.. I think kit cars are really cool and I cant wait til i have one myself.. The big problem though is i still need a lot of practice when it comes to the welding..

Last edited by mikeross; 5th February 2010 at 07:57..