Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 8th September 2013, 09:02

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, it drives very much like a new car. It picks up and sheds speed quickly, stays straight under braking and has nice, positive steering (reconditioned Spitfire rack, £35 exchange from Canley's).

The suspension is too stiff for the road at the moment though. Although it does handle like a go-kart there are a couple of sunken 'A' roads across the fens round here where I have to back off to about 50mph or risk going into a low orbit because the suspension isn't able to absorb the dips and crests.

I plan to soften and raise it over the winter to give me a bit more confidence at speed and stop the exhaust fouling the speed bumps outside Argos (those stupid black rubber wedges that even some conventional cars grind over).

I have a pair of 150lb Spitfire front springs on back order (must ring Canley's Monday), which I'll probably cut down by about 50mm (currently on 200lb Vitesse springs cut down by 95mm), and fit the heavy duty front arb to compensate for the reduction in roll stiffness at the front.

For the rear suspension I've considered going down the swing-spring route as one or two people have commented that it improves the ride, but what I might try first is to take out the 75mm lowering block and remove one, or perhaps two more of the leaf springs from the stack.

That'll need a couple of the clamps cutting from the stack of springs, but I'll make some new ones to hold the remaining leaves together. From the picture below you can see that the inner clamps hold three upper leaves together and I might just take out the top two first and see what happens...

The final suspension mod will be to replace the 175/70/14 tyres with 175/80/14's. These should fit without fouling once the front suspension is raised a couple of inches, and should soften the ride slightly due to the taller side-walls while also filling the arches better. They'll also raise the gearing a tad, giving me a potential top speed of...

137mph.
Old 8th September 2013, 13:56

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

Very nice. All of your hard work has paid off. Have a lot of fun.
Old 9th September 2013, 14:52

Took my car to have the engine set up properly on the dyno this morning.

When it was new, the mk1 Vitesse engine was supposed to have 95bhp at 5,000rpm and 117lb/ft of torque at 3,000rpm, and I was hoping for something close to that...

First power run with the settings where I've had them for the last couple of months gave a figure of... 65bhp

The man with the spanners, well, a wireless keyboard actually, then made some adjustments, setting the ignition advance to 13 degrees btdc and leaning off the mixture a little.

Result? The best we could get was 79bhp at 4,455rpm and 106lb/ft of torque at 2,975rpm. Much better, but not quite what Triumph intended.

The chap who runs the dyno says the Strombergs aren't supplying enough fuel to make any more power above 4,500rpm, and it would benefit from a head skim to raise the compression ratio.

Bearing in mind that it's supposed to have had a lower compression, unleaded cylinder head fitted, that's not a bad result. To put it into perspective, the mk2 Triumph 2000, which effectively ran the Vitesse engine with lower compression, produced 84bhp and 100lb/ft when it was new.

My options now are:

Leave it as it is;

Have the head skimmed;

Fit a pair of 175 Strombergs;

Switch to fuel injection.

To be honest, 79bhp on the road feels plenty in a car that only weighs around 600kg's. Now it's set up properly it picks up speed much more easily and there's enough torque for it to storm away from less than 30mph in top. I think I'll leave things alone for a while as it's really nice to drive as it is, but I do have a spare engine in the garage that I might just rebuild over winter with a few modifications...
Old 9th September 2013, 15:53

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Mr T, if I were you I would run it round this year and early part of next year, and enjoy it.
Look out for parts at Exeter and other shows - maybe even go for Weber 40's and a new manifold from Jigsaw racing.
As you say, the power is fine for everyday use on the UK's roads, and any more power will start to throw up more issues!
The joy in these cars is the ability to pootle around with a big grin and lots of attention wherever you go.
Take a break from tinkering and enjoy!

T
Old 9th September 2013, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtone View Post
Mr T, if I were you I would run it round this year and early part of next year, and enjoy it.
Look out for parts at Exeter and other shows - maybe even go for Weber 40's and a new manifold from Jigsaw racing.
As you say, the power is fine for everyday use on the UK's roads, and any more power will start to throw up more issues!
The joy in these cars is the ability to pootle around with a big grin and lots of attention wherever you go.
Take a break from tinkering and enjoy!

T
Sounds like a plan
Old 9th September 2013, 19:35

Paul D is on a distinguished road

Or you could go for this......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2513340012...84.m1438.l2649

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVhtgVhTWlA

Last edited by Paul D; 9th September 2013 at 22:44..
Old 9th September 2013, 20:55

andrewhush is on a distinguished road

Years ago I bought Dave Vizard's "Tuning Standard Triumphs over 1300cc" which gave up to the minute (1970!) advice on engine tuning and suspension mods. Someone has scanned a copy which you can read at http://www.triumphexperience.com/art...phs_Vizard.pdf

Enjoy!
Old 9th September 2013, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Nice. And it even looks like it might fit under the bonnet.

Shame it's about £511 more than I want to spend with five days left to run

So, wife has been building up to driving the spyder for a couple of months now, and finally had a go today (click on pics) -

After spending half the day trying to get the engine running like a locomotive, it's a shame she didn't get it above a fast idle for the camera, but at least she got home safe, with my car...

It's the first time I've seen it on the move from outside and I can see why it gets so much attention now. Without blowing my own trumpet too much, after all, I didn't design it, I just built it, it looks bloody fantastic!

And I also got my son to have a go at videoing on the move. Sick bags to the ready...

Old 10th September 2013, 09:17
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Just drive it and enjoy it for a while.
Then wait a few weeks and try my Pilot with a BMW 1.8i power plant.
That's well over 100bhp standard and it'll rev to 7,500, coupled to a 5 speed box it should be real fun

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5c118c2c.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3d24b2ef.jpg
Old 10th September 2013, 09:17

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

You might want to check the permissions on the links. There are just black screens with the play button crossed out on the videos. The pictures show the car on the drive, at Pizza Hut and a yoof dressed for his first appearance in court ;-)
Old 10th September 2013, 14:29
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Links worked OK for me but I missed the Pizza hut and the "yoof"

Looking good
Old 10th September 2013, 16:20

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Video links work for me too.

( Well they do when I use my daughter's lap top as my Mac still refuses to play any video. )

Mr T - They is a brief glimpse of you driving with hat and shades, any problem with wind buffeting?

Also I think it is about time one of your great photos of "602" became your avatar.

Finally, I think you can still take a lot of credit for the final look of your car.
You have a lot of individual touches that make it really stand out.

Enjoy, Paul.
Old 10th September 2013, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
Just drive it and enjoy it for a while.
Then wait a few weeks and try my Pilot with a BMW 1.8i power plant.
That's well over 100bhp standard and it'll rev to 7,500, coupled to a 5 speed box it should be real fun

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5c118c2c.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3d24b2ef.jpg
Now, if it was a BMW straight six you were squeezing under the bonnet I might be tempted to start a new build...

The four pot does look like a neat installation though.
Old 10th September 2013, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Video links work for me too.

( Well they do when I use my daughter's lap top as my Mac still refuses to play any video. )

Mr T - They is a brief glimpse of you driving with hat and shades, any problem with wind buffeting?

Also I think it is about time one of your great photos of "602" became your avatar.

Finally, I think you can still take a lot of credit for the final look of your car.
You have a lot of individual touches that make it really stand out.

Enjoy, Paul.
Thanks Paul, I'll see what I can do about the avatar.

The shades aren't really for wind buffeting, I wear contact lenses and they dry out when driving any open top car unless I wear sunglasses, while the hat was to keep my head warm as there's not a lot else up there to do that. I need to get some clear glasses for night driving (shotgun/ballistic glasses will do the job) although I do already have a pair of clear goggles for emergencies.

You are exposed to the elements while driving one of these. The flyscreen does what it says on the tin - it deflects insects over your head - but the airstream still whips round the sides and things get a bit frantic at anything above about 60mph. You can still have a conversation at 70mph, but I'll be wearing my pudding basin TT helmet with the leather scarf zipped in for the motorway journey down to Goodwood on Thursday. That makes high speed running much more comfortable, even if I do look like the crazy frog in it.

I'll write a report of that epic journey on Thursday evening. The hotel I'm staying at is 136 miles from home so it'll be a real reliability/endurance test for my car. The back up plan if I break down is to have the RAC bring me home and restart the journey in my modern tin top. I really hope I don't have to resort to that plan though.
Old 10th September 2013, 22:24

seanick is on a distinguished road

Good luck with your trip Towed!
Looks like we will need an umbrella for Friday
Old 11th September 2013, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
Good luck with your trip Towed!
Looks like we will need an umbrella for Friday
Yes, weather forecast doesn't look too good. Will have to pack brollie and waterproofs for both me and car.
Old 11th September 2013, 13:52

slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Hope to meet up with you at Goodwood Mr T . All things being equal I shall come down in my 1966 Ragtop Morris. Still not heard from you...!
Final thing ... is your tacho working properly? from your video it didn't seem so.
ATB
Slarti
Old 11th September 2013, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
Hope to meet up with you at Goodwood Mr T . All things being equal I shall come down in my 1966 Ragtop Morris. Still not heard from you...!
Final thing ... is your tacho working properly? from your video it didn't seem so.
ATB
Slarti
Hi Slarti, sorry, I thought I'd replied 'in post' - I got your pm and I'll give you a ring on Friday to see where you are. I know you're going to be a spiv, but what'll you be wearing?

Well spotted, my tacho doesn't work. I'm not worried about over revving though for two reasons: I have a rev limiter on the ignition; the dyno figures show that the engine's best work is done by about 5,000rpm anyway and you can feel the power tailing off so that's when it feels right to change up.

Having said that I'll probably fit an electronic replacement some time over the winter so everything works.

See you Friday
Old 12th September 2013, 07:54

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

I have an ex-Vitesse tacho (and speedo) sitting in the loft. I checked it by attaching it to a variable speed drill and it appears to work fine. If you want it, it's yours.
Old 12th September 2013, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
I have an ex-Vitesse tacho (and speedo) sitting in the loft. I checked it by attaching it to a variable speed drill and it appears to work fine. If you want it, it's yours.
Thanks for the offer Oxford. Unfortunately, I believe it's the distributor drive that's worn out rather than the tachometer - I had to drill a broken drive cable end out of it - hence wanting to convert to an electronic one.

It's just the price that's stopped me ordering one yet -

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produc...FXMQtAodvAYAPQ

(before anyone points it out, I just clicked my own link and found it's for the 80mm version and it won't let me change it to the 100mm one).

Right, time to pack for Goodwood...