Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 19th September 2012, 15:04

andrewhush is on a distinguished road
Default G46 No.3 Build record

At last I have got to point where it is worth letting others know what I am up to. I have had my engine running after wiring up its ecu and many other things and completed the overhaul of the rear axle which was all that was left to do on the chassis. The body has now been taken down from its resting place

and placed on two wooden goalposts which are clamped to the main chassis rails. This allows the body to be slid forwards, backwards and sideways and the height and twist can be altered by raising or lowering each of the four goalpost legs and reclamping them.

Last edited by andrewhush; 24th September 2012 at 12:18..
Available from eBay
Old 19th September 2012, 15:07

The doors are held in place temporarily to pull the body apertures into approximately the same shape as the doors. I am goig to be cutting the body sides to move the doors back, approx 5" and the doors will stay clamped in place when this is done.

Old 19th September 2012, 15:09

Here is the body with the bonnet sitting on the spare wheel in its scimitar storage position with a little bit of clearance packing

Old 19th September 2012, 15:26

My approach to building this car is to try and maximise space within the body for luggage. The scimitar grp floorpan has various humps and bumps which rise above the chassis to retain the rear seats and raise the front ones. Also space is wasted at the sides behind the trim panels. I am going to start with a flat floor (might put dropped footwells in later) followed by the rear wheelarches cut from the scimitar and add bulkheads, tunnel and bellhousing cover next. Once all that lot is bonded in I will give it a skin of resin and fibreglass matting and remove the body to do the same underneath. Then the body will go back on and I will move the sides back. After that will be making up the frames to give strong point for the steering column, dashboard, door hinges and locks, seatbelts, windscreen and hood frame.

Here are some more pics to show where I am up to.

Main floor (right hand side)

Left side in place

Both sides

Right rear arch in approx position.

bonding paste applied along side of floor. Grp roughened first with angle grinder/twisted wire brush first.

rear support removed after paste set

replacement struts to allow access to fit rear boot floor. These struts have a 5/8th hole in their lower end which fits over the upper tie rod bolt end with a ply square spreading the load at their upper end

Last edited by andrewhush; 19th September 2012 at 15:47..
Old 19th September 2012, 15:33

Last bit for a couple of days.

Rear boot floor cut to match wiggly shape inside body.

heelboard (or it was in the scimitar)

with a smaller opening to clear the front of the diff. This will be enlarged when I have measured the ammount of vertical movement available to the axle. I suspect the tunnel doesn't need to be as high as it is in the scimitar

boot floor in position. Once these last two bits are bonded in (must remember to tape up the chassis tops to prevent sticking) I can fit the rear arches and extend them to meet the body sides with grp.
Old 19th September 2012, 16:09

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Top working! Great to see another G46 on the go. Keep the pictures coming.
Old 19th September 2012, 21:48

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Fascinating stuff, looking forward to more details as it progresses...

Are you planning on keeping the spare up front and are you...dare I say it... retaining the ahem, 'non-round' wheel arches?
Old 19th September 2012, 22:03

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Andrew - Nice work.

I'm just thinking about plywood panels myself and it is nice to see what others are doing.

Do you know how you are going to treat them yet?

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhush View Post
... At last I have got to point where it is worth letting others know what I am up to...
I know the G46 is a rare breed, but I still think there would be interest in what you have done before reaching this stage. (condition of your donor, how you got the chassis in such great shape, any issues with the switch of engine, etc.).

Just a thought, Paul.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:44

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default Chop Shop

Andrew great to see your progress your route is very much on the lines of our build.

We know what you mean about humps in the floor and your solution would have suited us better to put flat ply floors in as it is we still have to cut out the hump because we moved our bulk head back 8" there is not enough room below the back of your lower legs to operate the pedals.

We are also going to drop our seat into the rear foot well recess, unfortunately its quite small and oddly shaped but feel we need to as you would be sitting to high on the flat floor above the chassis rails.

Talking of Humps! I see no humps!!!!!!!!!! no head fairing?

We are taking exactly the same approach as you once we have the shell bonded to our new bulk heads we will hoist the body up and then attend to the underside of the wheel arches etc etc, have just installed a Universal beam down the centre of the garage 3.50m above the garage slab and 4.50m long with a 1 tonne chain hoist on a push trolley. Such a good mod I took out and replaced a V8 engine and box in our chassis single handed and with one hand, just to fabricate gear box mountings.

Love the coil over shocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they will be a little harsh! We are just getting around to ordering coil overs for ours talking to a man from Damper Tech we are going to set the car about 50mm lower on the springs approx 25mm lower ground clearance but using 15" wire wheels and having adjustable platforms to do the final setting. It's just the spring rating we are toying with at the moment which can only be a estimated judgement I think we are going to use 250llb rated springs and then change them to softer or heavier latter as they are only £22 per corner, have you thought that far ahead yet.

We have just fitted up the engine bay with rads water and oil plus ancillaries batter boxes, servo alternator etc to get them located before the front wings are fixed forever, I will get Charlie to post some pictures soon.

Good luck with the bulkheads.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike55 View Post
Fascinating stuff, looking forward to more details as it progresses...

Are you planning on keeping the spare up front and are you...dare I say it... retaining the ahem, 'non-round' wheel arches?
Yep,

keeping spare wheel up front to maximise luggage space elsewhere. Haven't decided on arch profile yet, need to see where the scimitar arches met the inside of the body. I am planning to use the front ones as well, bonding them to the bonnet (very like a herald bonnet) so that they rest on the suspension towers and front outriggers when the bonnet is closed.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Andrew - Nice work.

I'm just thinking about plywood panels myself and it is nice to see what others are doing.

Do you know how you are going to treat them yet?

Also...

I know the G46 is a rare breed, but I still think there would be interest in what you have done before reaching this stage. (condition of your donor, how you got the chassis in such great shape, any issues with the switch of engine, etc.).

Just a thought, Paul.
I plan to weatherproof all of the ply surfaces with one layer of chopped strand mat and polyester resin. I will use a couple of extra layers for strength along where the ply meets the grp body.

Chassis was very good when I got it (in 1996!). I only had to weld on new front outriggers and side rails and a couple of small patches near the back before getting it hot dip galvanised. The engine swap came about because I wanted better fuel economy, similar performance and lighter weight than the original ford setup. The sr20 nissan engine has an alloy block and head and the type 9 gearbox is lighter than the overdrive box it is replacing. I had assumed that a serena or sx200 reardrive gearbox would fit my primera engine but the blocks are different, hence the homemade adapter plate and ford t9 box. The bellhousing is the frontwheel drive one unbolted from the frontwheel drive gearbox with the bit that housed the diff carefully removed (with an anglegrinder). Centering the bellhousing up with gearbox was easy using the outer race of one of the gearbox ball bearings as a spigot.

The engine is longer than the ford v6 and it has the distributor at the back of the head where it would interfere with the scimitar bulkhead. However the engine /gearbox combination puts the gearstick approx 5" further back moving the driver/steering wheel/ pedals /bulkhead further back as well. Exactly where I am going to put the front bulkhead is yet to be decided.

Last edited by andrewhush; 20th September 2012 at 18:45.. Reason: missed a bit
Old 20th September 2012, 18:26

Quote:

Yep,

keeping spare wheel up front to maximise luggage space elsewhere.

Haven't decided on arch profile yet, need to see where the scimitar arches met the inside of the body. I am planning to use the front ones as well, bonding them to the bonnet (very like a herald bonnet) so that they rest on the suspension towers and front outriggers when the bonnet is closed.
I haven't seen the G46 'in person' so not sure about inner arches - but will probably be needed. I'm just going from photographs.

Silly question probably... but is there room for the battery under your bonnet...on my SE5 the battery sat in a depression on the fwd n/side inner wing section, which no longer exists..
Old 20th September 2012, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charman.tech View Post
Andrew great to see your progress your route is very much on the lines of our build.

We know what you mean about humps in the floor and your solution would have suited us better to put flat ply floors in as it is we still have to cut out the hump because we moved our bulk head back 8" there is not enough room below the back of your lower legs to operate the pedals.

We are also going to drop our seat into the rear foot well recess, unfortunately its quite small and oddly shaped but feel we need to as you would be sitting to high on the flat floor above the chassis rails.

Talking of Humps! I see no humps!!!!!!!!!! no head fairing?

We are taking exactly the same approach as you once we have the shell bonded to our new bulk heads we will hoist the body up and then attend to the underside of the wheel arches etc etc, have just installed a Universal beam down the centre of the garage 3.50m above the garage slab and 4.50m long with a 1 tonne chain hoist on a push trolley. Such a good mod I took out and replaced a V8 engine and box in our chassis single handed and with one hand, just to fabricate gear box mountings.

Love the coil over shocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they will be a little harsh! We are just getting around to ordering coil overs for ours talking to a man from Damper Tech we are going to set the car about 50mm lower on the springs approx 25mm lower ground clearance but using 15" wire wheels and having adjustable platforms to do the final setting. It's just the spring rating we are toying with at the moment which can only be a estimated judgement I think we are going to use 250llb rated springs and then change them to softer or heavier latter as they are only £22 per corner, have you thought that far ahead yet.

We have just fitted up the engine bay with rads water and oil plus ancillaries batter boxes, servo alternator etc to get them located before the front wings are fixed forever, I will get Charlie to post some pictures soon.

Good luck with the bulkheads.
Yes the space between the centre outrigger and the rear tubular one is too narrow to fit the scimitar seat bases down into. I have sat on the standard scimitar front seat on my 1/2" ply floor and the body in front of me seems quite high. It is 24" above the floor at the front of the cockpit, 23" at the rear.

Yes, we have no humps! This is because I hope to make an MG midget screen, side windows, hood frame and hood somehow fit the g46!

The solid suspension means that the car stays at the intended ride height as the build progresses. It has made it easy to keep the chassis level so that I could check the body for level even when I was climbing in and out.

As regards spring rates, see this link (which I think has appeared before on this forum)
http://www.racingaspirations.com/?p=292
Old 20th September 2012, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike55 View Post
I haven't seen the G46 'in person' so not sure about inner arches - but will probably be needed. I'm just going from photographs.

Silly question probably... but is there room for the battery under your bonnet...on my SE5 the battery sat in a depression on the fwd n/side inner wing section, which no longer exists..
I am hoping the front of the passenger footwell will be approx 6" back from the front edge of the floor panel which is sitting on the front outrigger. This should leave a shelf to put the battery on.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:55

Quote:
I am hoping the front of the passenger footwell will be approx 6" back from the front edge of the floor panel which is sitting on the front outrigger. This should leave a shelf to put the battery on.
Thank you. I thought space might be an issue. I had an idea to put the batt elsewhere (tbc).
Old 20th September 2012, 20:59

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

The battery in mine is behind the passenger seat where the original rear seat was. The plan is to have access through a flap in the panel behind the new seats. There is loads of room in front of the engine if you want to build a battery tray there.

I am planning a windscreen, side screens and some form or roof and I have two humps, could be challenging.
Old 20th September 2012, 22:06

Challenging is the word....
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:22

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default G46 Battery position

Quote:
looking at our bulk head from the engine bay, left hand side (drivers) will be taken up Break & clutch master cylinders at high level, servo in the middle and exhausts on top of chassis rails.The right hand (Passenger) side only has exhausts so that is probably the favoured position for the battery, however there is room to put it with the bulkhead centre section above the rockers covers or even in front of the top pulley, between it and the rad.

Spoilt for choice really?
Old 23rd September 2012, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charman.tech View Post
looking at our bulk head from the engine bay, left hand side (drivers) will be taken up Break & clutch master cylinders at high level, servo in the middle and exhausts on top of chassis rails.The right hand (Passenger) side only has exhausts so that is probably the favoured position for the battery, however there is room to put it with the bulkhead centre section above the rockers covers or even in front of the top pulley, between it and the rad.

Spoilt for choice really?
One advantage of a 4 cylinder engine, exhaust down one side only!
Old 23rd September 2012, 19:26

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One advantage of a 4 cylinder engine, exhaust down one side only!
Oh yes, exactly the same as a straight six, but with less cylinders...