Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 5th April 2014, 20:35

swifty is on a distinguished road
Default Swifty's Navigator

The first post for my Navigator build and the start of a great journey.

Bought a rather tired looking GT6 engine off flea bay for a reasonable price local to where i live which is handy.

IMG_3992.jpg
Engine out of the van and ready for a full strip down.

IMG_4001.jpg IMG_4005.jpg

She does look like she needs some TLC so here goes

IMG_4021.jpg

Last edited by swifty; 26th May 2014 at 18:43..
Available from eBay
Old 5th April 2014, 20:44

IMG_4021.jpg IMG_4024.jpg

Rocker cover off then head removed to find six domed topped pistons as this is from a 1973 GT6 the later version, stronger crank etc.

IMG_4027.jpg IMG_4032.jpg
Now it's the turn of the head which has the larger inlet valves, a little bit of carbon build up and few burnt valve seats which will be fixed later.
Old 5th April 2014, 20:52

Engine turned through 180 degrees to strip the bottom end.

IMG_4040.jpg IMG_4046.jpg

View into the crank case where the sump goes, all pistons con rods, main bearing housings and rocker shaft laid out in order. You can see a slight build up of carbon deposit around the piston skirts where the hot gases have been passing the piston rings, also there is a little rub wear adjacent the gudgeon pin axis which is normal for an engine of this age.

The engine was then sent off to an engine machine shop to be De-greased, the crank shaft journals polished, cylinder bores honed, the cylinder head was also converted to run on unleaded with hardened exhaust valve seats along with new valve guides and a 6th head skim.

IMG_4051.jpg

A very clean degrease crank case is ready for re assembly, all the oil and water channels have been cleaned and blasted with compressed air before the re assembly begins to make sure the engine has many more years ahead. New core plugs fitted.

IMG_4053.jpg IMG_4055.jpg

Crank shaft fitted and torqued down with new main bearings. New crank shaft oil lip seal in place.

Well that's it for now, its time for a cuppa, i will load more photos soon.

Last edited by swifty; 6th April 2014 at 21:09..
Old 5th April 2014, 21:03

Exciting time the donor spitfire has arrived looking worse for wear but ready for a complete make over to a 50's sports car, roll on.

IMG_4058.jpg

Cant wait to start the strip to get a better look at the chassis.

IMG_4073.jpg

Body midway from being removed.

IMG_4091.jpg

First major hurdle the body tub is off and time to inspect the chassis for problems.

IMG_4076.jpg

The chassis is not too bad just a couple of front outriggers to replace but will get a better idea once the engine is removed.

Well i now have loads of bits to sell hopefully i will get back most of the purchase price for the spitfire.
Old 5th April 2014, 21:05

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Welcome, Swifty. I look forward to following your build. And to think, somebody said that you would never build a car. You've made the right choice.

Last edited by oxford1360; 5th April 2014 at 21:10..
Old 5th April 2014, 21:44

Thanks Oxford, i have followed your build and you have an eye for quality and detail which is the type of build i am hoping to achieve.

I do have more photos as i know the guys on here love to see what your up to and I've been busy manufacturing parts on the CNC gear we have so exciting times ahead.

Last edited by swifty; 23rd January 2016 at 10:04..
Old 5th April 2014, 21:45

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
Welcome, Swifty. I look forward to following your build. And to think, somebody said that you would never build a car. You've made the right choice.
Never build a car? Who said that then...

Welcome to the fold Swifty, looking forward to seeing your build come together.
Old 5th April 2014, 22:43

christinedmc is on a distinguished road

Hi Swifty,

This is looking very productive and thoroughly at the same time. Looking forward to see the progress on this project.

michiel
Old 5th April 2014, 22:44

Has anybody attempted to hinge the hump like in this photo, it looks like a cool solution for a rear boot lid.

53_Alfa_Bucci_Special_TV_05_PBL_03.jpg
Old 5th April 2014, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinedmc View Post
Hi Swifty,

This is looking very productive and thoroughly at the same time. Looking forward to see the progress on this project.

michiel
Thanks Michiel i have also followed your build which is to an exceptional high standard, are you an engineer by trade as the metal work on your build is spot on.
Old 6th April 2014, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Has anybody attempted to hinge the hump like in this photo, it looks like a cool solution for a rear boot lid.

Attachment 1128
That hinged head fairing wouldn't be particularly difficult to pull off and it sure looks cool. There is no right or wrong with these cars, it's your project and you build it how you want it, so if you'd like a hinged hump just go ahead and make one!

Without trying to blow my own trumpet too much, some of the modifications I made along the way show what's possible if you put your mind to it. Near the end of my build I saw a 50's Jag with loads of louvres in its bonnet and I thought 'I'd like some louvres in my bonnet...' So, a £3.49 aluminium airing cupboard vent from ebay and a little ingenuity later -

I also wanted a different dash design to the 'standard' flat panel, so I sourced a moulding taken from a Porsche 550 Spyder and made it fit -

This is the traditional dash layout as expertly put together as it's possible for it to be (Barry's car) -

Very nice indeed, but I wanted the instruments ahead of the driver rather than in the centre of the car, so this was my solution -

Dash moulding from a 550 Spyder.

Not a great fit out of the box.

Bit of 'cut and paste'

To end up with something a bit different -

Just remember what Yoda has to say about Sammio/Ribble building - impossible, is nothing.
Old 6th April 2014, 08:07

christinedmc is on a distinguished road

Hi Swifty,
Thanks. No I'm not a engineer by trade. Just an enthoustiast like most of us.

Mars'69 which is building a sammio CV, made a large boot lit which include the two humps he has. So the whole lit is hinged at the back of the seats. But you have to acount for the back of the seats. When the lit opens, the humps could bump into the seat backs, if you haven't sorted this. Also the lit has to strengthened with a frame to make it strong enough.

This Bucci Alfa looks superb BTW. What a beautiful car.

Michiel
Old 6th April 2014, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinedmc View Post
Hi Swifty,
Thanks. No I'm not a engineer by trade. Just an enthoustiast like most of us.

Mars'69 which is building a sammio CV, made a large boot lit which include the two humps he has. So the whole lit is hinged at the back of the seats. But you have to acount for the back of the seats. When the lit opens, the humps could bump into the seat backs, if you haven't sorted this. Also the lit has to strengthened with a frame to make it strong enough.

This Bucci Alfa looks superb BTW. What a beautiful car.

Michiel
Thanks for the heads up on Mars69.

Mister Towed..... the dash blends in beautifully and looks the part along with the rest of the car, its a credit to you, the use of an air vent is a simple and effective solution.

Well its time to go back out and remove the engine from the chassis, oh happy days.
Old 6th April 2014, 11:23

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

Welcome top the fold Swifty. You've started your project in the right place, getting the Engine (Heart) of the car sorted. I hope the chassis is in as good condition when you're done. Ring or pop in for a chat when you can as we're doing a few interesting things to the Navigator kit that may help you along.
Old 6th April 2014, 19:27

Thanks Andy, will contact you soon more than likely by phone.

Been busy today removing the redundant engine and gearbox, its sooo easy with the open front end which will come in handy for future work once the car is complete.

IMG_4096.jpg

Engine out, its an easy task to complete with an engine crane, a couple of bolts to remove and hay presto job done.

IMG_4116.jpg

The chassis not too bad especially when you consider it's 41 years old, some area's even have the original paint which when removed has clean steel. The area around the oil leaker parts is as good as the day it was manufactured, its a shame the oil had not traveled all over the chassis.

IMG_4103.jpg IMG_4104.jpg

The two front outriggers will require attention, i think i will fabricate complete new parts as the replacement's cost £109 and a piece of 2mm plate will be no where near that, one more part on the ever growing list of replacements.

IMG_4097.jpg

Thought i would include a picture of my electrolysis tank which is excellent at cleaning all the crud and rust off the metal parts before painting. It's very easy to put together and if you fancy one too then Google electrolysis metal cleaning for lots of info, some good guides on YouTube. Just be careful with ventilation as the gases given off i believe to be hydrogen and chlorine.

Last edited by swifty; 6th April 2014 at 19:32..
Old 6th April 2014, 19:35

Sure I've seen one of those vats somewhere before...

Oh yes, that's right, Crystal Meth making chemistry teacher Walter White had something similar for dealing with business rivals.

Best of luck with the chassis restoration, it was my most onerous task.
Old 6th April 2014, 19:47

Nice one Mister Towed , i can do with one of those masks when spray painting.

Last edited by swifty; 6th April 2014 at 19:54..
Old 8th April 2014, 08:00

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Swifty - Good to see another Spitfire based build on the go.

Given the improvements to the Navigator body shell and internal framework, you should have an easy build.

OK, there is no such think as an "easy" build, but at least it will not be my Cordite based nightmare.

Although the sight of dismantled Spitfire, open driveway & tarpaulin are sending shivers down my spine.

I really hope that is a garage I can see in one of the photos and that is where the building will take place.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 8th April 2014, 15:49

AndyP85 is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard the good ship Ribble Swifty

I look forward to seeing how your build progresses

Good to see another Navigator build

Cheers

"Lil" Andy
Old 8th April 2014, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Swifty - Good to see another Spitfire based build on the go.

Given the improvements to the Navigator body shell and internal framework, you should have an easy build.

OK, there is no such think as an "easy" build, but at least it will not be my Cordite based nightmare.

Although the sight of dismantled Spitfire, open driveway & tarpaulin are sending shivers down my spine.

I really hope that is a garage I can see in one of the photos and that is where the building will take place.

Good luck, Paul.
Hi Paul yes the build will be indoors, i'm trying to keep the majority of the muck outside, once the chassis is clean i will move indoors, thinking of having the chassis galvanized but will do the repairs and mods first.

Type 9 gearbox should be here in the next couple of days then i can sort out the adapter plate, make a cad drawing etc.

I have heard some stories about a few problems the cordite kit had one in particular with the body not being symmetrical but all has been rectified by the Ribble team, great job lads, i have seen first hand the navigator which looks great.

Looking forward to start the clean build instead of stripping old parts down but all in all it's being pleasurable so far.

Thanks AndyP85, will speak soon.

Last edited by swifty; 8th April 2014 at 19:17..