Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 2nd December 2019, 11:44
hondekop

Default Single piece roof: where is it stored?

Hi Guys,

My Deon has got a 2 part roof, The original 246 GTS has a got a single piece roof. Where is the single piece roof stored on the original while driving open, as I can find no place where it would possibly fit?

Cheers, Kai
Available from eBay
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:27

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondekop View Post
Hi Guys,

My Deon has got a 2 part roof, The original 246 GTS has a got a single piece roof. Where is the single piece roof stored on the original while driving open

Cheers, Kai
Hi Kai
On the original GTS the roof was stored behind the seats during open air driving.

If you have a look here http://dinorestoration.com/carpeting-complete/ you will see that the transmission tunnel on the original is a lot smaller than on the Deon or Classic replicas car. The larger replica transmission prevents storage of a one piece roof in the correct place in those replicas.

A friend of mine has a classic replicas Dino which had a single piece roof which he converted to a 2 piece so that he could store the individual pieces behind each seat.

Neil

P.S. I've just found a picture showing that the original also has a cut out in the roof which allows the roof to straddle the transmission tunnel when the roof is stored behind the seats. https://www.fantasyjunction.com/sold...otos#photos-18

Last edited by NeilF355; 3rd December 2019 at 10:11.. Reason: P.S.added
Old 4th December 2019, 17:58
hondekop

Quite extensive answer, no single part roof for me then. Thanks, Kai
Old 4th December 2019, 18:46

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quite extensive answer, no single part roof for me then. Thanks, Kai
Why not? it wouldn't be difficult to graft on a 'transmission tunnel shaped' piece on to the roof - indeed the bit you cut off the panel can be used!
GRP is the ideal 'can be repaired forever' material. Doing it this way is certainly a lot easier than making a 2-part roof.
Old 7th December 2019, 19:42
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Aaaah, so that is the reason for that extra bump in the roof behind the seats of the GTS Neil! I always wondered.
Old 8th December 2019, 12:07

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
Why not? it wouldn't be difficult to graft on a 'transmission tunnel shaped' piece on to the roof - indeed the bit you cut off the panel can be used!
GRP is the ideal 'can be repaired forever' material. Doing it this way is certainly a lot easier than making a 2-part roof.
With the deon and early classic rep cars the transmission tunnel is massive that's why the roof was split in to 2 pieces. I doubt you could make a 1 piece roof section that would fit behind the seats
ian
Old 9th December 2019, 09:14
hondekop

The advantage of added chassis stiffness (compared to the Dino's, which cannot be impressive) is more important for me than the benefit of a single piece roof, so I guess I will have to live with it.

BTW.: Have you all managed to get your cars water tight like a bog standard car? Or is it more like a Smart Roadster where only a fraction is really water tight?

Cheers, Kai
Old 17th December 2019, 20:09

Fibreglass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The advantage of added chassis stiffness (compared to the Dino's, which cannot be impressive) is more important for me than the benefit of a single piece roof, so I guess I will have to live with it.

BTW.: Have you all managed to get your cars water tight like a bog standard car? Or is it more like a Smart Roadster where only a fraction is really water tight?

Cheers, Kai
The GTS chassis is very different from the GT coupe chassis, the rear bulkhead is completely different with larger tubing and a lot more of it, there are also more gussets. It is a very rigid chassis. I have actually been making the targa roof today for the GTS I am now building. Even the handbrake centre console is different on the GTS to allow the targa roof to sit behind the seats. Here are a few pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0969 small.jpg (91.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1006 small.jpg (91.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1008 small.jpg (94.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1009 small.jpg (85.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 17th December 2019, 22:43

molleur is on a distinguished road

Nice work Kai