Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 27th January 2008, 11:16
Enthusiast

MikeN is on a distinguished road
Default Suspension

Hi gent's long time since I posted anything, due to the fact that it has been many many months since I last worked on the car (work commitments as always).
Anyway am now back working on the car and enjoying it.
What I have started working on is the front side panels and under tray. Now to install them I have had to disassemble the front suspension. No problem with that, except that prior to disassembling, the suspension has always seemed really tight. The wishbones do not move freely at all.
Looking at the wishbone suspension bushes I cannot get it into my head as to how they work! The steel inner spindle that fits into the bush is smaller than the bush length.
What I mean is the spindle looks recessed. I will try and post a picture I have taken when I can work out how to reduce the file size to upload the picture?).
Anyway if this is the case how does the suspension work? From what I can see the bushes are gripped by the wishbone mounting lugs due to the centre spindle bolt pulling them together. As the spindle seems to short it will be basically floating. So for the wishbones to move the plastic/rubber bushes have to twist in the mounting lugs! That does not seem right at all.

I originally tightened the bolts up so tight in an effort to compress the bushes that one of them has now started to split!

Would really appreciate any ideas on this.

Regards

Mike
Available from eBay
Old 27th January 2008, 13:24
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Following BigRich's expereinces, I cut ~5mm off the narrow diameter section of each bush, and packed the assembly with copper slip.
Old 27th January 2008, 18:15
Enthusiast

Ric H is on a distinguished road

Mike, I spent a while looking into the best way and I know others have too. Lots of conversations about the same topic on the locostbuilders forum you'll find as well. I'll describe my conclusions (and then please everyone else feel free to disagree!):

It is important that when the bolt is tightened, the bracket hardens up tight onto the crush tube, and isn't left clamping the poly only. This ensures the tube stays fixed and the bush rotates around it.

My final assembly process was:
1) Clean all powder coat out of the wishbone sleeves (otherwise bushes are too tight). I used sandpaper wrapped around a bolt mounted in a drill. Worked a treat.
2) Fit poly bushes into wishbone and offer up to chassis.
3) Sand off from either end of either bush in order to make wishbone fit chassis - aim to leave the bush maybe 1mm longer than the chassis mount (i.e. a tight push fit). In my case I had to remove asymmetric amounts from the bushes which did concern me a bit with castor angles, but ho hum.
4) offer a crush tube up to the bush, and shorten if necessary to leave it about 1mm shorter than the bush (i.e. about the same as the chassis mount spacing)
5) grease up the crush tube good and proper (as John says I know some people have also made a grease reservoir in the bush. I didn't find it was necessary - ymmv.
6) press tube into bush then mount in chassis. Bolt up good and hard on to crush tube.

Done! Your wishbones now move smoothly around the crush tubes, just as the suspension gods intended (well, smoothly-ish - should then loosen up with use).

Anyone with different experiences?
Richard
Old 27th January 2008, 18:43
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

This will probably bite me at some point, but I just trimmed the bushes, applied liberal amounts of grease, and wanged the bolts up. I did them up "white knuckle" tight, and then checked the arms moved freely.