Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 4th April 2019, 18:05

deggsy is on a distinguished road

Yesterday I borrowed my friends metal shrinking/stretching machine to make a lip for the boot aperture.
before.

After

Not too bad its now ready to be bonded and riveted when my new riveter arrives my old air one died a few weeks ago so iv'e sent for a standard hand one.
I also sprayed the screen frame and fitted the screen it was a very right fit due to some distortion during welding as usual I messed up and managed to mark the frame so it will need some flatting back and spraying again
Old 4th April 2019, 18:12

molleur is on a distinguished road

Nice!
Old 18th April 2019, 19:53

I finished the boot stay this week the load spreading plates and the bracket are simply bonded on with Tiger seal.

The one inside the boot is bolted. It all seems to work OK I wanted a nice smooth boot lid of course I'v taken it all apart again now to flat it down and etch prime it also working on the doors which are a bit of a pig I keep finding voids on the edges
I got a bit fed up with that today so I painted the Garage with another coat of ducks back
Old 4th May 2019, 15:34

well yet again I got fed up with filling in and flatting back so i decided to have a go at the seized brakes after trying for a whole day to free up the calipers i gave in and ordered some new ones. I fitted the nice new disks crass drilled and vented, I didn't realize until I fitted the first one to the hub that these things are handed.

The outward side of the grove points towards the rear of the car.

i don't like the spacers much but the decent ones are about £200 a set and no one seems to have them at the moment anyway so i'll have to stick to what i'v got for now.
looking forward to Stonleigh tomorrow I'll try to pop over to see u if i can.
Cheers for now.
Old 9th May 2019, 17:43

Default Stonleigh

Sorry I missed everyone at Stonleigh but I just couldn't find the pitch wandered round for ages but no luck just me being dull i think.
I have fitted the new calipers and ETB brake pads but haven't bled them yet (I need to rope in the wife for that)

And managed to do some more flatting down and managed to get some etch primer on the bonnet.

Though knowing this car I'll probably have to rub it all down again
I also found a couple of company's that can make me some decent wheel spacers I am waiting for the quotes not too expensive I hope.
Old 21st May 2019, 20:29

As fast as I flat one bit of bodywork I find another that needs filling and flatting I think they are breeding

It took me a week to finally get the whole car covered in a coat of etch paint from rattle cans

Unfortunately a friend who was going to spray the car for me may now not be able to so I now have to chose, find another (cheap) sprayer or invest the money I was going to spend on a decent compressor and spray gun and spray it myself something I have never done before Hmmmm
Old 21st May 2019, 20:47

Just do it! Not that hard. Key is in the prep.
Old 25th May 2019, 08:43

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Deggsy - What kind of paint finish do you want?

I made a lot of mistakes painting my car and the tarpaulin cover has made things worst.

The only good news is that I have managed to create the 'survivor' look without really trying.

However, there are also first time painters on here who have achieved a relatively high quality finish.

Obviously, professional painters should be able to achieve a showroom finish.

But, as always, as long as you are happy with the paint, that is all that matters.

Good luck, Paul.

PS
Congratulations on getting the whole car in primer.
Old 25th May 2019, 09:15

Thanks for the input gents I have managed to persuade my friend to spray the car for me probably some time in August he's not a professional but can get decent results hopefully it will all go to plan. until then I will carry on with all the other jobs yet to be done i will keep you updated.

cheers

deggsy
Old 25th May 2019, 09:46

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by molleur View Post
Just do it! Not that hard. Key is in the prep.
+1 from me.
Get the preparation right and you can always sand back to it.

Then- make sure the finish is not too thin- that way you can mop/polish out any surface imperfections.
Old 25th May 2019, 10:02

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
+1 from me.
Get the preparation right and you can always sand back to it.

Then- make sure the finish is not too thin- that way you can mop/polish out any surface imperfections.
Sound advice. I have been researching DIY painting for lambretta scooters. The advice is per above. Luckily, there is a lot less surface area to fix, so it will be a good start point for me. But that will not be until later in the summer.

There is plenty of advice on the internet, where to source large garden polytunnels at best prices, how to make inexpensive air extractors etc.
Old 25th May 2019, 21:12

Thanks gents good advice I was looking into all that when I thought I would have to do it myself hopefully now with my friend agreeing to spray it I should get a half decent job? I have decided to go for a deep cream color which should go with the green seats odd that I have to chose the color to go with the upholstery should be the other way around but beggars can't be choosers as they say.

Cheers

deggsy
Old 25th May 2019, 23:18

Cream with green seats. Nice combination!
Old 6th June 2019, 19:40

Default rear driveshafts

I am back on the mechanical bits this week I am fitting the longer driveshafts from a spitfire 1500 they are about 20 mm longer than than the herald ones I replaced the wheel bearings and trunnion bushes I also had to fit the smaller driveshaft flanges for the herald diff new universal joints were fitted at the same time.

I had one small hiccup I bought a pair of adjustable radius arms off a Vitesse as the herald ones were now too short only when I went to fit them did I realize the bushes are larger so dismantle it all and start again I had to spread the brackets wider to accept the wider bush and then drill through to accept the larger bolt. If you do it the other way around the bolt holes wont line up

All done now but i will have to get the rear wheels tracking sorted when it's on the road and the front ass well of course. Ho I have to make some extension plates for the handbrake cables as they are now too short.
Until next time cheers
Old 7th June 2019, 09:03

Paul L is on a distinguished road

It must feel good to see parts going back together.

Does it feel like you have broken the back of the build and there is an end in sight?

Good luck, Paul.
Old 8th June 2019, 20:54

Paul Yes it most certainly is I Fitted the hand brake extension plates today and bled the brakes again the car is back down on it's wheels now and the longer drive shafts make the wheels fill the rear arches a lot better.
It's just doing as many of the small jobs whilst waiting for the paint job which wont be for a few months yet.
almost there tough. phew
Old 9th June 2019, 00:20

clinkadink is on a distinguished road

Just read this. Wow. That is some effort you have put in, with excellent results. Love the look of this car, especially now its primed. Well done!
Old 10th June 2019, 17:35

Thanks for the encouraging comments almost there just waiting for the spray job then i can put it all back together.
Old 10th June 2019, 17:51

clinkadink is on a distinguished road

Croeso, Pob lwc!
Old 27th June 2019, 20:32

Hi All whilst waiting for the paint job I decided to follow Paul's lead and do some paneling namely a hard half tonneau cover if that's what its called?
I started off with a very thick piece of cardboard.

cut it to approximately the shape I wanted then fixed a piece of 15mm x 15mm mild steel folded angle as the center support

and I must admit it looks ok so far? now I have to get some more angle for the curved supports for which I will need to borrow the metal shrink / stretchy thingy again and I'll pick up a sheet of aluminium some time next week
Then I can look forward to installing hundreds of pop rivets