Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 20th December 2014, 11:22

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

I bought a set of them off ebay towed.....

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=331411577308
Old 20th December 2014, 22:51

jones is on a distinguished road

Yeah they're the same ones Danny although bit disappointed with the quality, will do for now but will replace at a later time. The plastic bulb holder piece is poorly finished and both of mine have a crack.
Old 21st December 2014, 07:25

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

Mine seemed to be ok, however they wernt from that listing that just came up after an ebay search. I think I payed a little more for mine too
Old 21st December 2014, 09:54

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

They appear to be a bit over priced for a bad copy.
Do look nice though.
Old 21st December 2014, 18:25

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_HUFC View Post
I bought a set of them off ebay towed.....

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=331411577308
Thanks Danny, will save the link.
Old 24th December 2014, 18:00

Default Baby Steps...

So I had an hour or so spare today but as I am still awaiting the postman to bring me more goodies I am kind of stuck with regards to measuring and fitting out rear lights and the frond headlights I thought I would crack on regardless and start with my front indicators and checking the aperture for the great looking Marchal fogs.

And yes it even works

Sad to get so happy about this but glad after having the kit for a while but distracted by lots of life things to get it moving forwards even if only small baby steps.

Last edited by jones; 9th January 2015 at 19:33..
Old 28th December 2014, 14:34

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Even baby steps get you closer to completion! Just takes longer.
Old 31st December 2014, 19:03

So today I woke up and brewed myself a strong coffee and to my amazement managed to get some smaller DIY jobs done, this appeased the wife and finally the headlight buckets came so great start to the day.

During the days after Christmas I had listed my mx5 front end parts with a caveat at the end mentioning I would in the future have some rear parts available. Within 2hrs the front wings were gone and a couple of days later everything but the rear bumper is sold

so with 2.5hrs to play today I removed the bootlid and bumper and everything is ready for the people to pick up on Saturday so I couldn't resist it. Time for a dry test fit, everything went on relatively easily and the roll cage is a great design. However the race against the light fading meant no pictures other than the car put to bed. Tomorrow I have permission to have the whole day playing on it, planning on having all front lights fitted and working. Can't do the rears yet as still waiting for a company to get back to work on the 5th to send the rear reflectors.

One thing I am pleased about is how straight my donor is and therefore how easily everything is unbolting - i bet the rest of the build will not be so smooth!

Last edited by jones; 16th August 2015 at 09:39.. Reason: Typo
Old 8th January 2015, 21:06

So its been a while since the last update, I have however been able to spend a few hours here and there and actually last Sunday managed to do a proper dry fit using all panels.

The pictures in the previous post are bit of a cheat I hadn't removed the hood etc from the vehicle and as I didn't want to ruin the bumper skin and the plastic retainer clips I took had removed the whole bumper including the impact bar. This is now back on the car with skin removed.

The one thing that i did spend hours on was trying to fit the roll cage properly - nothing seem to line up to a point that i was worried i had purchased a dud car! So out came the tape measure and started to do cross measurements to ensure the car was in fact square. Good news it was bang on It took a number of strategic bolts, a hydraulic jack and a lump hammer but it all lines up OK, has anyone else had the same issues? The question is do I now prep it and paint it on the car or risk going through that again and potentially scratching the new paint finish?

I have also been waiting on one pair of crucial parts before I could start cutting and fitting the rear lights - my Carello reflectors. Well pleased to say I got home tonight to find that they had finally arrived.

Now I have to admit although the right brand and style they are slightly the wrong size for the lights but only slightly so I am sure I can get away with it. Sorry Scottie I am already making compromises

I have also purchased some lowering springs however they will be stored until closer to the end as its nice to have such easy access at the moment to the car with its weight loss and thus rise in chassis height.

I have found as well that when you get into doing jobs on the build you kind of forget to take a picture at times that might be useful to other new to building kits such as I, compounded by the lack of daylight meaning when you do stop its normally because daylight has gone

It appears the -1 degree caused camera shake too!

The next quest is to bl**dy buy a MIG welder unless any of you live close and would be prepared to help me do some welding?

But this weekend will be positioning rear the lights and getting those wired - although still waiting on some electrical connectors to come in the post.

Last edited by jones; 9th January 2015 at 19:36..
Old 10th January 2015, 20:39

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian. Sorry to hear that you had some issues fitting your roll cage. It's a bit odd as all the cages are fabricated on our stripped out MX5 "jig" shell. Try loosely fitting one bolt per flange first, then you may need to put a screw driver in the holes to line up second hole, then tighten the first bolt up to hold the flange in the correct position, then insert the second bolt. From experience gained from the cars we have built the trickiest bolts are the 4 at the head of the windscreen, they don't enter the bodywork at 90 degrees as expected, but vertically, if you see what I mean. Give me a call if you need anymore pointers.
Old 12th January 2015, 22:44

Hi Chris thanks for the response, I have to admit there was no question about build quality as I was there with you unbolting the frame off your jig shell.i did end up doing exactly as you described actually.

The wind put any hope of getting anything done over the weekend to bed. So status quo apart from the fact I ordered some more parts including some professional looking connectors that I will use for all the wiring for the lights enables the front to be easily removed if needs be.

The rest of the parts were for my XF daily runner that eats through brake discs and pads but I do a few miles... over 20k per year. I source genuine parts and then take the car to Jag to get them fitted - they hate it but they are yet to be able to get them for the same price.

Anway I digress back to my previous post? No volunteers to help with the welding!?!? Seriously though anyone based close or in Northamptonshire?
Old 25th January 2015, 02:45

pauleouellette is on a distinguished road
Cool MIG welder ??????

I've read with interest several of the MX250 build threads, particularly the MX250c, and do not recall the use of a MIG welder in this kit's build instructions. Entirely new to kit work and a ways off in Florida but do find the MX250c to be fascinating. We do have a similar MX5 based kit at Simpson on the west coast. It does a bonnet (hood) hinge connected at the front bumper that allows the bonnet to tilt forward ala Jag XKE. Very interesting. I wonder if it could be adapted to this kit. Also saw a story about a very expensive Swiss car that has its doors do a 90 degree spin to vertical on opening. Just noting some things that will make the car unique.
Old 25th January 2015, 09:58

pauleouellette - you absolutely do not need a welder at all. I am just trying to make my life more difficult than needs be. Well I would be if the weather would allow me that it is!
Old 25th January 2015, 17:15

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
pauleouellette - you absolutely do not need a welder at all. I am just trying to make my life more difficult than needs be. Well I would be if the weather would allow me that it is!
I have my old MIG welder under a bench at the workshop (2 when I think about it) you are welcome to borrow one if you don't mind buying some gas and wire for it. You could arrange a courier to collect it, to save the journey down.
Old 25th January 2015, 19:25

Many thanks Chris, I'll try and give you a call tomorrow.

I did manage to drag myself outside to enjoy a 'fresh' afternoon working on the car. I managed to 'persuade' the metalwork behind the lights to accept the headlight bucket accordingly. I had some new connectors I have replaced the bullet connectors for the indicators so its more inkeeping with the existing wiring. So headlights now fitted just the spots to go and front will be just bodywork.

Last edited by jones; 25th January 2015 at 22:10..
Old 13th February 2015, 19:23

So not been active as of late due to work and some family stuff, oh and some freezing conditions that honestly just got the better of me! However things have moved forwards, I now have a welder (on loan) purchased a welding mask and a few other safety bits.

I did however realise I was not going to be happy with the gas cap I had purchased... so a did manage to buy a genuine original Enots Aston style cap. Today I got home to find the flange kit and fuel hose had been delivered so I really don't have any excuses to get on other than the fact I still haven't decided on colour of the headling yet. Well that could be because I haven't chosen the colour for the roll cage!

well no post of mine would happen without some token picture so here is todays...

Old 13th February 2015, 22:34

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Braver than me, not playing in this weather!
Old 15th February 2015, 13:00

So the risk of running the project outside is that when it constantly drizzles the whole weekend you get sod all done. Frustrating but thats the way this cookie crumbled this weekend. I have managed to tidy up the garage and sort a few bolts and nuts in size order and wire up the new connectors to the rear lights but small gains on what I was hoping to achieve.

ah well onwards and upwards they say.
Old 15th February 2015, 18:09

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Jones - You have my sympathy when it comes to drizzle.

I have also been playing "indoors" with wiring, just to keep my project ticking along.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 7th March 2015, 11:24

So unfortunately as I write this I am a few hundred miles away from the build and seemingly the car build has ground to a halt. Work and just general life have got in the way, I now have all the tools and all the materials just none of the time - the one thing I swore to myself was not going to jeopardise this build.

However there has been some progress as previously alluded to I now technically have everything I need, yesterday was the mile stone - there was one item(or actually four) that was going to be a big factor in the success of this build - the wheels!

So I truly wanted to tread new ground and do something different to the all the other great examples already built. I looked at some modern larger diameter wheels but just didn't like it, then looked at some modern retro wheels like the Rota's range. I then came across the Revolution wheels, was it four or five spokes? This seemed to be the only question left.

And the winner is....

COMPOMOTIVE FH! I saw this set being advertised and I had to have them, they are a staggered set, due to be delivered next week and then the cutting of the arches begins!

Last edited by jones; 7th March 2015 at 13:01.. Reason: typo and forgot the obligatory photo