Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Old No.7 Builds

Old No.7 Builds 275 kits from Dan

Old 2nd June 2018, 19:23

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

Don't worry, it will float
Old 2nd June 2018, 20:45

Welshkiwi is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by casamolino View Post
Evening Mark is your kit insured?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-a...ew-south-wales

Geoff .
Thanks Geoff, Not immediately helping the blood pressure there, I have never been so interested in maritime traffic, not even when I shipped the house contents out to NZ! Yes the shipping is insured!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
Don't worry, it will float
As long as it floats in the right direction Jag! I am not sure the mgbgt rear door will be in once piece after a smell of salt air tho!

Last edited by Welshkiwi; 2nd June 2018 at 20:46.. Reason: Missed the answer!
Old 1st July 2018, 09:18

Default Quick update, things are going to start happening

Hi guys, been a while since an update so thought better let you know what’s happening.
Kit turns up in NZ supposedly next wed. Be about a week to clear customs and freight to Auckland so hopefully delivered around 11th July. I am testing the donor car this week so it has reg and testing thru till Jan next year when the car will be back on the road. Then donor is starting being stripped next weekend.
First jobs are checking all the exposed bits/discs and pads as req’d and extending/logging all the wiring/harnesses.
I am going to talk to og rims about wheels, but they don’t do 72 spoke 15” on their website, only 13” - so we’ll see.
Likely the fuel tank is coming out to do the filler extension, so sub frame etc has to come out for that work.
All going well, work starts next week! Cheers.
Old 4th July 2018, 05:00

nzidol is on a distinguished road

Good luck.... it is all in the detail....

By the way did you talk to these guys http://www.lucentt.co.nz/painting-on-plastic for chroming your bumpers?

Just scored this seal at para rubber for the boot lid https://pararubber.co.nz/automotive/...boot-seal.html

Did you also find these wheels http://www.acww.com.au/catalog/index...roducts_id=141

Last edited by nzidol; 4th July 2018 at 05:05..
Old 4th July 2018, 05:42

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzidol View Post
Good luck.... it is all in the detail....

By the way did you talk to these guys http://www.lucentt.co.nz/painting-on-plastic for chroming your bumpers?

Just scored this seal at para rubber for the boot lid https://pararubber.co.nz/automotive/...boot-seal.html

Did you also find these wheels http://www.acww.com.au/catalog/index...roducts_id=141
Hey fella, awesome work on the detective work.

No haven’t talked to the plastic guys, how I didn’t find these considering I am 5 mins away but hey, thanks for finding them for me! Will see what they can do and update in case you are interested at all.

Pararubber seal looks good, again I need to explore those guys as to what they have once the panels get here and I know what exactly I need, but a great start thanks.

Yes found the Aussie wheels guys, I may drop them a line once I have heard back from ogrims in the us. Got a few questions in with them. The donor got wof’d today and is now officially off the road. Teardown starts in the next few days. If you had any trip ups or things to be careful of always happy to receive sage advice! Cheers hopefully full of luck for the challenges ahead.
Old 5th July 2018, 07:10

nzidol is on a distinguished road

You'll need to splash out on these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-P...27424c4dACeUtb
They will break when you pull the sill covers off

These guys have lots of helpfull insights https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

Probably best to start with the wheel arch liners they are though to get out but there are a few bolts behind them for the side panels and sills. For the hood you'll need a second person but everything else you can do by yourself. Although I did not take the cabrio roof off....

PM me your email and I will send you my disassembly doc, only covers 10-15% at the moment but will be good if someone checks it
Old 6th July 2018, 05:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzidol View Post
You'll need to splash out on these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-P...27424c4dACeUtb
They will break when you pull the sill covers off

These guys have lots of helpfull insights https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

Probably best to start with the wheel arch liners they are though to get out but there are a few bolts behind them for the side panels and sills. For the hood you'll need a second person but everything else you can do by yourself. Although I did not take the cabrio roof off....

PM me your email and I will send you my disassembly doc, only covers 10-15% at the moment but will be good if someone checks it
Awesome fella, PM sent. Cheers really appreciated. Will log all those little bits like clips etc, really handy to know. Catch you soon.
Old 8th July 2018, 07:21

Default Momentous day -It has all started

Well guys I have put aside the disappointment that the kit panels are delayed during shipping and now not in the country yet and not expected until next Friday. So at least a week and a half until those get in my grubby hands.

So I started today anyway, managed about three hours on the car in amongst still trying to finish the build area. Reasonably easy start, assisted ably by NZ Idol's disassembly guide and the good condition of the car itself. Everything that has come off so far in good nick and the uncovered areas look pretty good. Black lines on the alloy bumper are the approx cut lines for the one piece clam to clear.

Here's the progress.

Front strip 2

Front strip 3

Front strip
Old 8th July 2018, 07:24

Barber is on a distinguished road

It is really happening chap.
Old 9th July 2018, 09:41

Default Oh how is it so difficult to get things right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
It is really happening chap.
Yes it is fella!

So how can people get things so wrong? Today I was made aware that the customs clearance and associated bill has been granted so happy days. Also during the process the ship is now arriving in NZ tomorrow so the "update" I had last Friday couldn't have been more wrong! Anyhoo, good news is I should get the kit early next week now.

Progress tonight after work has been good, all rear end stripped, including rear quarter panels. Condition is good underneath so minimal cleaning and protection will be required. Just the sills and the Fwd lower panels left and then the task of trying to work out how the roof comes out! Keep ya posted.
Old 10th July 2018, 09:32

Default I have broken it now!

Hey guys, progress has been coming thick and fast, virtually stripped all the way now, only a few minor bits to tidy and remove.

Will get the cert guy around now to get stuck in to see how we are going to extend the fuel filler.

Really satisfying getting this far, however it doesn't matter how comfortable you are turning something roadworthy into this state does have it moments!

Progress after about 7 hrs stripping:

Full strip

Interior

Rear quarter

Rear roof removed

Rear valance strip
Old 10th July 2018, 10:11

I would be tempted to fit the fuel filler and only show the examiner after the body has been fitted!
The pipe is only pushed down into the tank and glued in place with sealant, not the ideal solution but I can't think of an alternative.
If someone had a spare tank sitting on a table you might be able to see if some kind of adaptor could be machined up. Could then be sold to builders.
Old 10th July 2018, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguartvr View Post
I would be tempted to fit the fuel filler and only show the examiner after the body has been fitted!
The pipe is only pushed down into the tank and glued in place with sealant, not the ideal solution but I can't think of an alternative.
If someone had a spare tank sitting on a table you might be able to see if some kind of adaptor could be machined up. Could then be sold to builders.
Fair thoughts jag, but over here fuel pipe extensions are part of the cert process so has been declared from the start. Reason we will discuss is whether we can work an adaptor that has an inner tube/outer sheath assy that can be bonded and clamped in place and without taking the tank out. 1st look at it seems to be tight so I may be taking the tank out anyway to do it. The only issue for me is disturbing all that may end up with reliability or failures down the road. We’ll see what happens. I have thought to see if I can find a tank to play with but won’t be cheap.
Old 14th July 2018, 06:43

Default Plodding progress

Hi guys, been slowly plodding along for the end of the week, spent time cleaning as I go as well as tidying the car for some of the "dis-established" systems. Have removed:
- Power roof and system including pump/reservoir and actuator
- Fwd headlight wash system
- Fwd screen upper rubber
Have been working on the rear light harnesses, for some reason can't get the reversing light to fire so that is my scratchy beard issue for tomorrow.
I am really lucky with the donor I bought, no signs of corrosion/rust or issues under any of the unearthed areas, it has been looked after during the 19 years it has been on the road. Once the panels arrive this week it will be full steam ahead when I can get to it, going to focus on the front clam/electrics etc to give me a good positive shot in the arm start before I get stuck into the heavier shifting of the rear and the bonding work/fuel filler and fuel tank work. I am not looking forward to the sub frame coming out if that is what it needs. Inner door skins coming off tomorrow so I can start scratching the grey matter on how I am going to marry the Mini door handles into the door mech. I also need to change the drivers seatbelt to meet the regs for removing an airbag, so a new webgrabbing belt will be fitted. I am happy with the condition and look of the interior rear (i.e. storage box and upholstery around the roll bar area) so am keeping that until I later on play with the interior in a few years.

Here's some photos.

Full strip 4

Full strip 3

Full strip 2

Full strip 5

Full strip 4
Old 14th July 2018, 07:47

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Looking good so far.

I can't imagine what the wait is like, knowing how far your kit has travelled.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 15th July 2018, 03:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Looking good so far.

I can't imagine what the wait is like, knowing how far your kit has travelled.

Good luck, Paul.
Thanks Paul, yeh the wait is hard, but it has given me a bit of time to step back and think. Even though I still have a lot to work through and stuff to buy when I can work it all out in my hands, it has allowed me some calm before the storm. Just got to hope the stuff turns up in good nick now as I have well and truly stuffed up a nice z3! Cheers.
Old 16th July 2018, 06:23

Default Rear light assembly wiring assist

Hi guys, this is as much for me as it is for you so I have a record of it on my thread, but if you need a bit of assistance with the wiring in the Z3 harness at the rear of the car "pre the rear light assy plugs" then here we go.

Lights L/H rear

Brown - Negative
Blue/Green - L/H Indicator
Blue/Yellow (2 wires) - L/H reverse (and feed for R/H Reverse light)
Yellow/White - L/H Fog light
Grey/Violet - L/H Tail light
Blue/Red - L/H Brake Light

Lights R/H Rear

Brown - Negative
Blue/Yellow - R/H reverse light
Blue Red - (2 Wires/Diff Gauges) - R/H Brake Light (and feed for L/H Brake light)
Yellow/White - R/H Fog light
Grey/Yellow - R/H Tail light
Blue/Brown - R/H Indicator

Hope this helps if needed. Cheers

Last edited by Welshkiwi; 16th July 2018 at 06:28.. Reason: stuffed up my typing......
Old 16th July 2018, 08:50

Well done, now go and do the front and don't forget the spot lights!

I carefully wrote it all down on a notepad but left it out and it got rained on, EricHolmes thread has some nice pictures of his wiring notes that I used so you can cross reference to check.
This information you be great to put together in a Tribute build pack.
Could also include
Fuel filler mod.
Door skin fitting.
Boot & door handles.
Door packers.
Old 17th July 2018, 09:17

Talking Front Lights wiring assist

Hi guys, I know the Z3 wiring is a bit easier to work through on the front, but here it is if required. (One of these below is side different to the Haynes manual for wiring colour, either they mixed it up when printed or my car was stuffed up with the wrong wire installed in the wrong side of the harness. Have checked more than twice and I know I am not colour blind so who knows!) NEG = Brown for standard -ve wiring.

L/H Front
Front Indicator - Blue Feed and NEG
Headlight Dip - Yellow/Green and NEG
Main Beam - White/Green and NEG
Sidelight/Pilot - Grey/Violet and NEG
Fog Light - Yellow/Brown and NEG
Side indicator - Blue/Green and NEG

R/H Front
Front Indicator - Blue Feed and NEG
Headlight Dip - Yellow/Blue and NEG
Main Beam - White/Blue and NEG
Sidelight/Pilot - Grey/Yellow and NEG
Fog Light - Yellow/Brown and NEG
Side indicator - Blue/Brn and NEG

R/H and L/H headlight adjusters are both Black/Brown/Yellow for 1/2/3 Posn.

Update on the kit, it arrived today. A few things straight away to sort with the guys back in Blighty, but great to have it in my hands under some sort of control! Keep you updated. Cheers.
Old 17th July 2018, 11:58

Barber is on a distinguished road