Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 28th October 2004, 19:56
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road
Default Mercedes 300SL

I read with interest the article in Kit Car regarding the Merc 300SL 'Gullwing' featured in The Display Cabinet.

A gorgeous car. I was surprised to see in the article that there had been a few attempts at a UK kit.

Anyone have an idea of what happened to then?

I think this would be a fantastic kit. One of the most sort after cars in the world available as a kit?!!
Available from eBay
Old 1st November 2004, 21:24
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

I'm with you on that would be a great addition to the scene.

I don't ever recall it ever being attempted or available in the UK, seems examples only ever appear in mainland Europe or the States.

Seems to be a hightened interest in it of late though so maybe we'll see one soon.

I've just got to show you these pictures. I hope the owner doesn't mind, but it's just gorgeous. This one was for sale, I don't know how much but the owner was from Europe, Holland I think.

John

Madabout-Kitcars.com
Old 22nd January 2005, 03:37
Kit Car Dreamer

amcagreg is on a distinguished road
Default Mercedes 300SL

I know of about a half dozen attempt to build 300SL s. The most notable was Toney Osterhaus of Gullwings unlimited in Gardena California. Everyone agrees that they were grreat. He went into receivership. His inventory was tied up in courts for year and may have recently been sold to England

Lone Star replicas in Texas make a roadster turnkey replica. I have not heard much of them but what I heard wasn't good

Herman Quint in Connecticutt. Quint motorcars. He made turnkey Gullwings for 25 years (about 30). Most were built on a corvette body. Recently sold to Matt Mazza of Wing Motorcars. Herman's cars were good but they evolved over the year. Originally all corvette parts then later all late model V-8 mercedes with auto transmissions

Thoroughbred Motorcars in Mt Dora Florid. Has made replica SLR kits and turnkeys. Has recently made Gullwing kits. I bought his first kit and am sorting it out as Gil Lonecker has never actually assembled one his kit cars. I have been working on it for a year now.
There are lots of problems to work outbut I am getting there.

One problem is that unlike many kits there are no replica parts (bumpers, badges, hinges, door latches, window frames etc). There were only 1,200 made so obtaining an original part is very very pricey. I have over $30,000 invested in the project already.
Old 22nd January 2005, 08:58
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Now that is an interesting project.

Have you a website? or info / pics you can post here?
Old 1st October 2009, 01:44

ampretty001 is on a distinguished road

Interesting...
Old 25th April 2010, 11:54

Sergio is on a distinguished road
Default 300SLR and Gullwing replicas from USA

I'm very interest in original brochures or info packs of American builders: Classic International ,Silver Arrow Motorworks ,Adler Industries and etc. I hope someone can help me...
Old 5th June 2010, 02:35

mikeross is on a distinguished road

Wow dude that is awesome.. Geesh.. I wanna have one myself.. But I hope the parts like the exhaust manifold would not be too expensive.. I want to have the same kitcar myself

Last edited by mikeross; 8th June 2010 at 05:07..
Old 8th June 2010, 12:55

andybennie is on a distinguished road

Have you seen the new Classic Replicas website, may be of some interest regarding the Mercedes 300. www.classicreplicasuk.com.

Regards

Last edited by andybennie; 8th June 2010 at 13:03.. Reason: left out web address
Old 11th June 2010, 22:24
Big Cheese

Good spot

I will keep an eye on that particular kit with interest. I may have found my next project.

John
Old 30th May 2011, 00:54

albenson46 is on a distinguished road
Default 300 Sl Gullwing Replica - Usa

There were some Gullwing Replicas made in the late 70's by a man named Alex Waak in Bel Fouche, South Dakota (USA). He started the company then sold it to someone and started making SLR replicas and sold that company to someone else. I drove one of the two I looked at and do have some pictures of both of them. They were "very nice" replicas.
Old 18th August 2011, 17:07

controls boy is on a distinguished road

I would love to build a Gullwing 300 SL and I understand that it is very do able being based on a single Merc donor car.
Frankly with all the comments,within this website, regarding the supplier, Just take a look at the comments about them within the Dino 246 section of this website. I would have to research this company in a through manner and feel comfortable with them, if I was to go ahead with purchasing the kit
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:56

55caddy is on a distinguished road

I have one of the Alex Waak replicas. I'd love to see photos or additional info you have.
Old 31st August 2011, 23:22

Inspace is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I agree with Control boy! Tread very carefully. Great looking car I have to say though.
Old 29th January 2012, 08:21

Lagolag is on a distinguished road

This one was up on Ebay DE lately, based on SLK.
Anyone knowing whom have tools for such kit?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2209099973...9#ht_778wt_922
Old 2nd April 2012, 10:22

jaysherman54 is on a distinguished road

It may be harder to get a Gullwing replica now.... http://www.mercedesheritage.com/2012...lwing-replica/

Mercedes-Benz crushes ‘unlawlful’ Gullwing replica

March 29th, 2012

Tags: mercedes classic center, michael bock, replicas, silver arrows, tom wheatcroft, tony dron, w125

Is this the moment of truth in a Gullwing restoration when the body is once again joined to its chassis? Not quite. We're looking at the bowels of the Mercedes-Benz Used Parts Center and this particular Gullwing body is being crudely removed from its chassis to be crushed and disposed of.

Mercedes-Benz steps up pressure on replicas
Gullwing design copyright status affirmed in Germany

Ever mindful of the impact of poorly conceived replica Gullwings on its heritage brand, Mercedes-Benz recently seized and destroyed a German built Gullwing replica’s fiberglass body. For decades the Silver Star has viewed any road going copy of the iconic Gullwing shape with derision, particularly those with badging as per the original. During the ’80s Tony Ostermeier’s generally respected Gullwing Cars operation in California skirted the badging issue by delivering their replicas with altered grille/deck lid star designs and no ‘Mercedes-Benz’ or ’300SL’ insignias. Predictably, as soon as new owners took delivery of their cars, an original grille star and original insignias were installed. Other replicas employed similar trickery to avoid attention from Stuttgart.

This will no longer be tolerated by Mercedes-Benz. Badging or no, the glorious Gullwing shape is a work of ‘applied art’ and has been under copyright protection for decades. It’s the enforcement that has been spotty. That is, until 2012. Emboldened by a December 2010 Stuttgart regional court’s ruling affirming the Gullwing design’s copyright status, Mercedes stepped up investigating copyright violations. It is not legal to copy the Gullwing design – at least not in Germany. Gullwing AG, a German firm which planned to introduce a new Gullwing using the original Ostermeier plans and fitted with modern drivetrain, was shut down shortly after the court ruling.

“However, as well as the creators of this vehicle copying our parts and designs, the use of the Mercedes-Benz name and logo is in clear contravention of our trademark rights and we will look seriously at this.”

Unlucky German replica owner

Daimler Media’s release outlines Mercedes-Benz’ attitude succinctly, “A case had arisen in which a company based in Germany had built an unlawful replica of a Mercedes-Benz 300 SL.” The replica was seized by German Customs officials which may indicate the car was being processed for export. While the entire experience had to be a nightmare for the owner, he/she likely did receive the rolling chassis back after its illicit body was unceremoniously removed and crushed. The issue involved the coachwork only. Case closed for this particular replica.

The offending fiberglass skin awaits destruction. We're not sure who built this car but will try to find out. A serious precedent has now been set in Germany which will undoubtedly send other such replicas, regardless of quality, into hiding.

This photo makes a strong statement indeed. The offending body has been officially destroyed by 'certified equipment' and officially documented with a signed and stamped 'confirmation of scrappage.'

Wheatcroft W125 Recreations
Mercedes-Benz Classic speaks out

Stuttgart’s attitude toward protecting its cherished Gullwing shape is now clear but how will the Factory react to the specter of not one but five EXACT duplicates (4 open wheel versions and one streamliner) of the epic 595hp 1937 W125 Grand Prix car? Two have been completed and one was featured in a massive article within the February 2012 issue of the superb Octane Magazine. The brainchild of the now deceased historic Grand Prix disciple, Tom Wheatcroft, this project began in 2003 and has VERY quietly yielded two cars. Wheatcroft’s plan was to amortize costs by building five, selling 4 and placing the remaining car in his extraordinary Donington Park Racing Car Museum located within England’s Donington Park racing circuit.

With Wheatcoft senior’s death, son Kevin stepped in enthusiastically and kept the project moving ahead, utilizing the best fabrication shops in the world that conveniently happen to be located in England. This program is producing not just ‘replicas’ but, according to reports, DUPLICATES of the original car. How is this possible? The team’s mysterious acquisition of 2,500(!) original drawings and access to two of the original cars that escaped the factory into private hands has insured a mind bending level of accuracy. We must credit the extraordinary fabrication and research skills of Crosthwiate & Gardener and master coachwork fabricator Roach Manufacturing as well.

Mercedes-Benz Museum CEO comments

How does Mercedes-Benz feel about this project which comes to fruition the same year it decides to actually race it’s W125 in selected top tier historic events? Michael Bock, CEO of Mercedes-Benz Museum GmbH and Head of Mercedes-Benz Classic, responded with a tactful but revealing statement also in Octane’s Februry issue, “The Mercedes-Benz w 125 is an iconic racing car, and whilst we can see the logic in companies recreating those cars lost forever, like the Auto Unions and Von Trips’ ‘Sharknose’ Ferrari, there’s no justification to create a facsimile of the real deal, especially when these cars are still regularly shown.” Bock continued by citing trademark issues, “However, as well as the creators of this vehicle copying our parts and designs, the use of the Mercedes-Benz name and logo is in clear contravention of our trademark rights and we will look seriously at this.”

Mr. Bock closes with, “We support – at any time – all collectors of original Mercedes-Benz cars with all the passion, experience and knowledge we have but we have no understanding (tolerance? ed.) for facsimiles of the real deal.” Strong if slightly veiled words. We have a feeling none of Wheatcroft’s W125s will see German soil anytime soon. This fascinating saga centering around the passion for and protection of two of Mercedes-Benz’ most enduring and cherished sporting creations is certainly going to evolve. I feel there will be more confrontations ahead.
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:33

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Wasn't it simply the case here that they'd sold "permission" to a different 3rd party to 'officially' create replica body parts/shells and i expect that 3rd party supplier was less than impressed to see this crop-up.

When you read this story and then compare it to how old man Lamborghini reacted to Countach replicas back in the 80's (I've read in a few places that he was very impressed up to the point of congratulating one company on rectifying some of the things that he always saw as flaws with the originals!), you see just how miserable some people can be and how they really should put things into perspective!

I thought it interesting to note that they've gone down the "trademark" route here rather than the copyright one as I expect that makes the world of difference for replicas of other classic cars?
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:42
Big Cheese

very interesting and not totally surprising if they were putting Merc badges on the replica
Old 2nd April 2012, 20:24

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

TKC vol9 No.1 Interview with Ansar Ali of Caterham Cars. They are looking closely at unjust copyists of the Seven. Fair enough, they and others went to the time trouble and expense of designing a car only for others to rip it of and try to pass it off as an original. Mind you I did build a Lotus seven inspired car. Pots and Kettles?
Didn't AC get a bit stroppy about snakes etc on plastic cars?

Last edited by Dpaz; 2nd April 2012 at 20:26.. Reason: Addition