Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 23rd June 2014, 14:24

davecymru is on a distinguished road

That is a very nice solution and one area that's been playing on my mind with the Miglia as i will have to alter my column.

So i hope you don't mind if (in the best traditions of the forum) i shamelessly steal ideas from you, especially that pillow bearing on the bulkhead as a fixed point, i really like that it's a very clever solution!

Well done, and very well timed that man!
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:40

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

It's a pleasure, Dave. I've borrowed plenty of ideas/solutions myself. It's good to share!

Last edited by oxford1360; 23rd June 2014 at 19:21..
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:21

Gary, I know this sounds slightly mad, but I haven't used a seat for any of the trials so far. I sat on a thin cushion on the floor to get the roll hoop a fraction higher than my head, and played around holding the steering wheel to get its position.

I plan to make the seats myself so they will not sit proud of the cockpit. I'm still undecided for the look I'm going for with them. I was planning to use a Spitfire/Hurricane/Sea Fury seat as inspiration, but there isn't exactly a lot of room to be artistic. I might be lucky with some padding and a back support!

I will use six point twist-lock harnesses. I know that they are going to be quite impractical, but let's face it, I'm not building a Bentley Continental. The thing is, I need to make sure that I can reach every switch when I am strapped in. Some may go on the right rather than on the dash, which may be more than arm's length away.

Last edited by oxford1360; 24th June 2014 at 07:15..
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:39

swifty is on a distinguished road

Nice progress Oxford, looking forward to seeing this low slung body.
Old 24th June 2014, 07:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Nice progress Oxford, looking forward to seeing this low slung body.
Morning, Swifty - the stance will be no different from any of the other finished cars. The difference is the body in relation to the chassis. I didn't want to lower the suspension greatly, i.e. I wanted the front lower wishbone to have only a small rise from inside to outside. The result is reduced room for everything (instruments, fuel tank, me) to fit, but the body does curl around the side rails with plenty to spare........the big down side is that I am pretty sure that the bonnet is going to need major surgery, which might mean that overall, this approach was a stupid one........perhaps a trial fit this weekend with angle grinder in hand..............
Old 28th June 2014, 20:06

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

I have used pillow block bearings on lots of projects , they are excellent for solving that problem.
Old 30th June 2014, 06:42

Default Big snag

Well, I cut some holes in my bonnet, and the thermostat cover and alternator are all manageable. However, the front SU sticks up like a sailor's **** on shore leave. Its top is as high as the scuttle and it is going to take one hell of a high-sided bulge to conceal it - more like a cloister than a bulge. The only alternatives are -
  • Lower the suspension an inch (I'd go for adjustable height dampers at the front) and then raise the bodywork. This would require changes to the frame that I have fabricated.....and a bit of cost.
  • Lower the engine an inch......there is space but the exhaust would be exposed and I would have to make engine mounts. I'm surprised that there isn't a marketed kit for the Spitfire. Correct me if I am wrong.
  • Buy a side-draft Weber and manifold.......tempting.....but not cheap.

I knew that this was going to be a problem and I should have checked it earlier..........but I didn't. Pictures to follow. B*ll*cks.
Old 30th June 2014, 07:13

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Oxford- The following is a long shot...

The Ribble News thread had this Pilot(Spyder)/Navigator(Cordite) hybrid.

It has the same body shell as your car, but the same bonnet as mine.

Unfortunately I've not seen a photo of this car with the bonnet up to get a better idea of what it clears.

But I think it was a Herald chassis with a Spitfire 1500 engine in it.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 30th June 2014, 08:20

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Oxford, have you got the Dolomite Sprint SU's with the lowered dashpots? If not they might help.

Failing that, you could just leave the front carb sticking out of a hole in the bonnet, polish the dashpot and make a feature of it.

Alternatively, is there a manifold for Stomberg 150's for your motor? They're cheap and easily available (as are the spares), simple to set up, give good power and economy and stay in tune. They're also much lower profile than SU's.

The Weber will look nice, sound great and go well, but won't be cheap and you'd need to make sure you'll have enough clearance sideways.

Finally, there's always fuel injection...
Old 30th June 2014, 08:58

Paul, Mr T - suggestions always very welcome, it's one of the benefits of chronicling ones build.

One of the reasons that the Navigator bonnet clears everything is that it is sitting so much higher (obvious statement, I know). What I mean is, look at the wheelarch / tyre clearance. Mine is much less than that and I don't want to change it.

I did look for 125 Strombergs yesterday and it is a possibility. I'm pretty sure I could get them to fit the current manifold.

I wasn't aware of the Dolomite dash pots, though I would have to check compatibility with HS2s.

A single DCOE (or more likely Dellorto DHLA 40) is the route I am being drawn towards, but I need to check clearances. This was my original choice a couple of years ago but I thought it would be easier to stick with SUs........ The pair of HS2s that I have waiting are professionally rebuilt and nicely polished so I should be able to sell them to raise some funds. If I had a penny for everything that I have bought and then had to sell I'd have nearly a quid by now.

Fuel injection..........yeah, great idea........after all, my life is really simple and I need something to occupy all my waking time.
Old 1st July 2014, 20:17

One DHLA 40 and throttle linkage purchased, and a manifold on order from Canley. Sorted. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

And, having done so, I discovered I had become a bit of an SU hoarder. Anyone want to buy -

2 x professionally refurbished unused SU HS2
4 x in need of refurb SU HS2 (2 from a Spitfire IV, 2 from a Riley)
1 x twin manifold for HS2 1300 Spit / Herald
SU refurb kit for twin HS2 carbs
2 x in need of refurb HS4 (from a Spitfire 1500)
1 x twin manifold for HS4 Spit 1500
1 x Weber / Dellorto manifold for single 40 for BL A series

They'll all be going on eBay at the weekend. They should pay for the change of mind.

I'm really pleased. Having looked at Mac's build, a side draft is quite cool.
Old 1st July 2014, 20:34

Wow, splash the cash Oxford, nice one.

They do look cool and i would imagine the induction roar will be well worth the cost.
Old 1st July 2014, 20:42

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the club, had mine running and the induction roar is indeed a aural delight
Old 1st July 2014, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
Welcome to the club, had mine running and the induction roar is indeed a aural delight
I must admit, I'm looking forward to hearing that.
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:57

I love it when the postman makes today Christmas Day.

Old 3rd July 2014, 16:20

garyh is on a distinguished road

Nice trumpets.
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:01

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Wow! That looks awesome Ox!
I bet it will sound great too.

Reference your rad being low (like mine), you will either have to do something like I did, (cheap simple route) or go for it, if you have the room, and fit a header tank.

If you look on my thread, you will see Dave put a really good picture of what is probably the best idea for a Triumph.

I'm sure, like me, you have so much to do, but it will have to be addressed sooner or later!
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:24

They will look and sound fantastic on the car, i wish i could stretch to the cost for my straight six but for now i will have to do with the strombergs.

I've noticed your photos are hazy, are you using a phone camera that has a screen saver over the lens?
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I've noticed your photos are hazy, are you using a phone camera that has a screen saver over the lens?
No, I'm just using a phone camera that is sh*t. This HTC has always been milky, and living its life alongside coins, keys and swiss army knives doesn't do the lens much good. The battery is on its way out and I really should upgrade, but the prospect of talking to a PhoneShop salesman does not make me happy.

Pictures will improve, I promise.
Old 3rd July 2014, 19:02

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
...the prospect of talking to a PhoneShop salesman does not make me happy.
My 12 year old son just applied for a job at PhoneShop. He didn't get it, they were looking for a younger man.