Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 9th March 2004, 03:36

fastco is on a distinguished road
Default Buying Americam high performance engines by Dr.Dee

Hi 1st of all let me thank John & staff @ Madabout-Kitcars for his kind words & invite to this great site CHEERS!
First of all let me give you some of my background i first started building high performance engines in 1976 (time fly's when your have'n fun) my first company was called Pro-Street engines based in Ontario Canada ,we built customs engines for street rods ,classic cars & drag race cars then in 1996 moved to Niagara Falls NY & opened Fastco Automotive Products USA ,we soon were selling many engines to the U.S. market
& then hooked up with a old race buddy of mine in the U.K. when he was on a visit to the US he said mate you've got to get a few of these engines to my mates in the U.K. and we started promoting & selling engines of all power levels to Cobra kit builders in the UK & Europe.
Well we've learned alot about the needs & requirements of our U.K. customers & have developed many great freinds & customers in the U.K. & Europe .
I've been asked over & over many of the same questions when it comes to building a engine for a customer in the U.K. so here are some answers & tips on buying American high performance engines from across the pond.
1-Ask the seller for refferances you can call or e-mail get there feed back
2-Get a detailed list of parts (with part numbers from the builder) do not settle for info like
new hyperutectic pistons ,moly rings ,race brg.performance cam , reconditioned parts
performance valve job ,THIS REALY MEANS NOTHING you must have parts # & name of parts manufactor to compare apples to apples & quality of parts your paying for.
3-Does the builder supply documention & 100% proof of whats in your engine
detailed photo's of all parts & machine & assembly operations as you engine is being built
& supply you with all spec & clearances of you engine & photos in portfolio supplied with engine. THIS IS A MUST it eliminates all smoke & mirrors when it comes to buying a high performance engine abroad & at home.
4-Does the seller ship your engine 100% insured to the U.K. by companies like Loyds of London? does the seller have a international broker ? get there phone # and contact them
5-Make sure you get all the shipping fee totals in writing from the seller no surprises when your engine lands in the UK.
6-Ask the seller for his company bank name & bank managers name & phone number & call them just to check on there credit & length of time they have been in business in the USA. Compare sellers ad info on there address to banks address& info they MUST MATCH!
7-Tranfer funds only via bank to bank your bank to there business bank account ,no money orders or cert checks to someones personal name ,this leaves you wide open for a scam.SEnd funds to registered business address onlythis is 100% traceable
8-You may also ask seller for his business tax I.D.# this is proof they are registered & legit , fancy web sites are easy to produce for the con man to get you money!
Well mates i hope this helps with your decision on were to buy your next high performance American engine
Feel free to contact usfor your custom built engine as these are the rules we follow with all are sales World wide
CHEERS! & happy cruise'n Daryl /Dr.Dee / Fastco Automotive Products USA
Available from eBay
Old 12th March 2004, 18:02
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Dr Dee

Many thanks for this post, most informative.

Would like to make this into an article.....has anyone else got any comments on the subject that could go into the article....anyone actually been through the process of importing an engine from the States.

Cheers, John

Madabout-kitcars