Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 31st October 2016, 06:31

phil9 is on a distinguished road

looks good paul move on now with it ....i no what is like when you put all that work in ... good job
Old 31st October 2016, 09:23

Barber is on a distinguished road

With those whittling skills, it will be a carriage and horses for the Christmas pantomime, and next year, you'll be on the Tribute payroll. ;-)
Old 31st October 2016, 09:30

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Glad you survived the incident Paul. Cars can be fixed, people less so, so take it easy and be safe.

Marc
Old 1st November 2016, 06:48

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Phil, Barber & Marc - Cheers.

I really do like the way the car now sits after the lowering block has been removed.

Which certainly helps with the motivation to repair the damage I caused.

But I will definitely be using big blocks of wood to support the car, rather than axle stands.

Cheers, Paul.

PS
Can't believe it is the 1st of November already, where has the year gone?
Old 1st November 2016, 08:01

swifty is on a distinguished road
Cool

Got to agree Paul the car sits much better now, i did something similar removing the lower block which improved the overall stance of the car. As the saying goes on wards and upwards, keep your pecker up matey.
Old 1st November 2016, 10:48

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Phil, Barber & Marc - Cheers.

I really do like the way the car now sits after the lowering block has been removed.

Which certainly helps with the motivation to repair the damage I caused.

But I will definitely be using big blocks of wood to support the car, rather than axle stands.

Cheers, Paul.

PS
Can't believe it is the 1st of November already, where has the year gone?
The ride height looks good Paul
Looks safe to take a hefty mate out for a spin in it ........
Old 5th November 2016, 15:31

Default Triumph Swordfish 1500

Swifty - Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Roadster - Cheers, the cockpit is pretty small, but you are welcome to try the passenger seat.

Wind Chill:
Another busy week at work, but squeezed in a short, but refreshing, blast around in the Swordfish earlier today.

My head and hands switched to their 'Autumn' wardrobe.

But a t-shirt and (lined) golfing jumper were enough to keep my body warm.

Although I was quickly reminded of my motorcycling days as I slowly lost the feeling in my exposed face.

Just one quick photo opportunity…

But I had to make a quick stop at the local 'corner' shop on my way home.

I was just paying when two of my 'workshop regulars' popped in, a Hungarian grandmother and her English grandson.

The granny's English isn't great, but she has often stopped for a chat and loves the car.

Her grandson is a typical young lad with lots of questions whenever he is with her.

I was particularly impressed when he remembered the car was called a Triumph Swordfish on his last visit.

Anyway, the granny asked how the car was and was pleasantly surprised when I pointed at it sitting outside.
( They have only seen it on my driveway never on the road. )

So I offered to give the grandson a quick spin around the block.

He almost exploded with excitement and kept repeating "It's my luckiest day."

The granny took loads of photos and by the time she had walked to my house I had arrived via the scenic route.

It only took a few minutes around a couple of streets, but that takes spreading joy to a new level.

So until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
During one of the low points of the build I treated myself to a WWII style flying jacket to raise my spirits.
But I think I will need to upgrade my hat and gloves to that sort of standard for real winter driving.
Old 5th November 2016, 18:07

slickshod is on a distinguished road
Default Winter driving

Hi Paul ,sorry to read about your mishap with the 'Swordfish' , but you can still drive it and enjoy , a few years ago I had an Elan and really enjoyed those crisp winter mornings when i could go out for a blat with the top down !! Pete.
Old 6th November 2016, 12:59

Slickshod - Cheers Pete.

Although, I haven't passed another car with the roof down during the last couple of days.

Crisp vs. Cold:
Squeezed another 20+ mile drive in this morning, but it seems I have turned into a Soft Southern Jessy.

Either that, or old age / spending too long outside building the car is finally catching up with me.

At some point I will have to check the heater, because it doesn't seem to be doing much at the moment.
( I did wait a long time before finally switching it on. )

Mind you, even after an hour of driving, the heater gauge still hadn't reach the 1/4 mark.

So the car's extra large opening (compared to the Spyder) and the extra wide radiator might be too good at cooling the engine.

A few photos from my travels.

The trip was enough to break the '500 miles since my 1st MOT' barrier.

My 'real' work project is reaching a big deadline in the next few weeks.

Which means I could be "stood down" for a short period, which would give me some "car time" to play with.

But, for now, other chores are calling me, so I'd better go.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 6th November 2016, 13:06

Barber is on a distinguished road

Worst thing is not being able to properly plan things. The car looks splendid with the lowered suspension. Well worth the pain (?)
Old 6th November 2016, 14:27

swifty is on a distinguished road

Paul i wounder if you have a problem with the stat no closing as you should be getting up to temperature. The engine on mine takes about twenty minutes to reach working temperature and the heat generated off the engine/gearbox heats the foot wells no problem, had the car out yesterday in temperatures of 3 degrees with a warm heater.
Old 6th November 2016, 18:17

Triumph Special is on a distinguished road

It looks sooo much better for having the back raised. Have you ever considered 14" steels on it? I've used 5.5Jx14" MGF (spare) steels on my Triumphs: they locate well on the 3/8ths studs.
Old 7th November 2016, 21:16

Back on the 23rd May 2016...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
My oldest "regular" stopped for a chat and said he really hoped he would be still be alive to see it finished!

He turns 90 in a couple of weeks and still wants to be taken for a spin around the block when I'm on the road.

This became a running joke in the months that followed and he even "complained" to my wife I was still taking too long.

Unfortunately, neither of us had seen him since I finally got the car on the road and you know when you get that sinking feeling…

Well, this evening my wife spotted this posted outside our local church and his funeral is tomorrow.

Gutted.
Old 8th November 2016, 06:33

Belated replies...

Barber - This is my first self employed contractor role, so the ups & downs take a bit of getting used to.

Oddly enough, I am happier that the car was damaged during work that made it look better in the end.

As it would be a complete nightmare if after all the problems I then had to re-fit the lowering block!

Swifty - Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've ordered a new thermostat just incase and will have a proper look at this next time I'm working on the car.

Triumph Special - Cheers.

I liked how it looked 'before', but part of me knew it didn't look quite right, as if a small (and invisible) elephant was sitting on the boot lid.

So I am very happy that by removing the lowering block, and switching to a "C" reg, the car's stance looks more period correct.

As for the wheels, I really like both GaryH's approach…

And Oxford's...

But one of the reason I got sucked into this whole build madness was finding a perfect donor car on ebay with brand new wheels and tyres.

So the donor car effectively dictated my style of wheels, and saved me the expense of getting some wire wheels too.

Until next time, take care, Paul.
Old 8th November 2016, 07:29

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Paul, your low temperature reading could be the sender. I've tried two senders - the first constantly read very high and I spent loads of time/money trying to sort out the cooling. It then dawned on me that it had never actually boiled over, which is when I changed the sender. The new one read very low all the time, but the engine felt the same temperature as it always had.

As for your heater, I believe you have a micro heater the same as mine? They are very small and will just take the edge off the chill inside the cockpit, the matrix just isn't big enough to toast your feet. I've never had a problem with cold inside the car though, even wearing just a tee shirt on a cold morning (no strides, just a tee shirt). Rain on your face at speed is like being stuck with hundreds of needles though, so I do have an open face helmet with a full visor for winter driving.
Old 8th November 2016, 08:28

MikeD is on a distinguished road

Paul, it may be worth checking the sender / gauge with the sender in a bowl with a thermometer and adding hot water until you get to the required temperature, then see what the gauge reads vs the thermometer. My Stag always runs at just past M on the gauge (TEMP where M is almost in the red), but on checking it is spot on normal running temperature ! so puts mind at rest
Old 8th November 2016, 08:29

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Paul , sorry to hear about your neighbour ..glad to see the cars back out and about though ...

As well as following various builds on here and watching peoples cars progress ..I love the fact that something I created has given many people an opportunity to own a style of car that wasn't reachable easily for most of us , but , just as cool , is the fact that friendships , relationships and events have been created from the builds as well ...
Towed's hook up with Phil and Barry for example ....they probably would never have met before S*mmio.....And your Hungarian Grandmother and Grandson etc...only , maybe a 'morning' as passing if the car wasn't there ..if that even ...That young lad will remember that drive for a long time , I remember well my first rides in some local Hot Rods when I was about 12 ...

Last edited by lancelot link; 8th November 2016 at 08:36..
Old 8th November 2016, 09:26

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Paul you've come a long way this year.
I cant believe we are talking about the finishing details on the build, goes to show how your mind set has changed now you have got it off the drive and driven her.

So by now you know that it doesn't matter how you paint it, you will not be able to go anywhere without drawing peoples attention. Which brings me onto your wheels.
When I coloured in your pic to give you an idea how it would look painted I had a vision for it but I thought it might be too much.

How about painting the mini lights yellow?
Add your name in yellow vinyl, and a few period decals.
My inspiration was this
Old 12th November 2016, 11:33

More Belated Replies…

Mister Towed T & MikeD - Thanks for the temperature gauge sender and heater feedback.

Mr T - Unfortunately, I know all about the disadvantages of 'weather' from my motorcycle days.

Lancelot - The fact I was building the car on my front driveway really increased the interest of passers-by.

Others seem to be just curious about the "interesting" shape under a cover when I'm wasn't working on it.

Those people appear to be very happy to finally pass by when the covers are off and they can actually see what it is.

Roadster - Without doubt, diving around in grey primer is really helping to remove OCD from the painting process.

I still intend to do the best job I can, but if the paint ends up a bit rough and really, I know the car will still turn heads.

As for the finishing details:
- I have got a few "sponsor" stickers & a couple of enamel Union Jack badges for the bodywork to go with my #7s.
- Whilst those yellow wheels do look good, I'm going to leave my wheels alone for now.
- I will not put my name to the side, although I'm tempted to add John Surtees or Sterling Moss instead.
- Every time I see photos of the Le Mans Spitfires, I'm also tempted to extend the yellow nose band.
( But at this stage I will only do that if I've made a mess of the BRG on the bonnet. )

Quick Update:
Still very busy with work and it is chucking it down with rain outside at the moment, but the forecast for tomorrow looks promising.

So until then, take care, Paul.
Old 13th November 2016, 09:35

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Perfect day for Swordfish driving by the looks of it here ...