Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Closed Thread

Old 6th January 2016, 17:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Used Jag wires are definitely a cheaper option and look just fine on a Z300S, but I'd still prefer the dished look of the AC style from MWS on a 250 -

Old 6th January 2016, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
They won't fit mate - the only wire wheels that will fit without body mods are bead lace bolt ons.

The problem with those wires you've posted is even though they're 6" width because they're well laced the offset is -10mm which means they stick 50mm further out than stock Z3 alloys before you've accounted for the extra width of the adaptors as Andy found out:

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...?t=5449&page=2

If you want wires it's bolt ons or arch extensions I'm afraid.

SNG Barratt are Dayton dealers but only for jag wheels - still I've asked for a quote on a set of Jag Dayton direct bolts
Oops, thanks for this, I'm afraid my 'net connection is running slow so I didn't see your input before adding my next post.

I see that Andy was able to extend the arches to compensate at the back while the fronts didn't seem to cause an issue. They were also 7.5" wide and presumably used quite wide tyres (couldn't see a reference to tyre size). If I ever decide to go with wires (once I finally get to build the car!) I'd want to fit the 6" wide MWS AC style or stick with my home-made Dunlopalikes -

Old 6th January 2016, 18:47

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping the MWS AC Cobra 289 wheels will fit. They look good with the deep dish and will be OK with 195/70 - 15 tyres, very close to original spec.

At only £170 each ( Painted Finish ) they are good value too.
Old 6th January 2016, 18:48
Enthusiast

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road

We have just commissioned some shorter splined hubs to fit with E-type 'curly hub' wheels. These will fit under the arches okay. You do have to use shallow head wheel boots though but no big deal.
I only have a photo of the first attempt which stuck out about 2", but you can imagine the revised ones just shorter. Unfortunately they are made by the best hub engineering company in the land, so do not come cheap.
They cost £595 a set of four. Most can only be safe up to 150BHP these will go to 300BHP. It seems a shame to cover them up!

Old 6th January 2016, 18:51
Enthusiast

We have just sold a set to a customer who says wheels and paint make a car so cutting corners here is false economy (for him anyway).

Old 6th January 2016, 19:00
Enthusiast

Just for your interest one of our other customers has provided a tyre comparison chart. The one at the bottom is the standard BMW wheel fitted to the front and back of the car for reference.

Old 6th January 2016, 19:02

smash is on a distinguished road

Tgats great and looks like a cheaper option but it does reinforce my point as you can see from photo they are bead lace wheels so no dishing which the guys above think they're capable of getting. You can't have dishing.
Old 6th January 2016, 19:03
Enthusiast

This is his car so you can gauge the gap under the arches with standard wheels and tyres

Old 6th January 2016, 19:18

How much narrower are the narrow Z3 cars , would that be enough to get it all under the arch ?
Old 6th January 2016, 19:39

y cymro is on a distinguished road

There's a good discussion here on one of the other SWB build threads (I don't think it was Geoff's).
I seem to remember the narrow cars are about 25mm narrower each side, but a search should find the measurements you need.
Old 6th January 2016, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
Most can only be safe up to 150BHP these will go to 300BHP.
I wonder how much torque 40 year old wires are safe with?
Old 6th January 2016, 19:46

I stand corrected! Looks like you can just about get splined wires on without mods although I reserve judgement until I see them on the car with tyres, lol!

The only car with a narrower rear axle is the 1.9 pre face lift - all the others are the same width
Old 6th January 2016, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubodi Automotive View Post
Just for your interest one of our other customers has provided a tyre comparison chart.
You might find This tool useful to visualise changes in wheel offset.

This one is good too.

Last edited by y cymro; 6th January 2016 at 19:48..
Old 6th January 2016, 20:33

Seeing as we're on the subject of wheels (see what I did there) - Mrs Christmas delivered this Nardi style wheel and horn push.

I must admit I had thought I was going to leave the interior entirely stock but I can see that the stock seats (no matter how comfortable and electrically magnificent!) will look wrong so inspired by Nubodi's interior changes I'm looking for different seats.

Quick fix are OMP Silverstone retro buckets

But after a lot of trawling I found these Kirkey retro bucket seats which are very similar in shape to the original 250 seats

But there's then the additional cost of trimming - I did find one set someone had custom trimmed so you get the idea

Then there's also these Shelby Daytona seats but boy do they have a price tag!

Anyone found anything similar to the real thing on a budget?(yeah I know, I know!)

I did wonder about chopping the original seats down and retrimming in order to keep all the electrics and comfort level....

Also just starting work on Veglia 250 style "instrument set" for the Z3 binnacle.

Last edited by smash; 6th January 2016 at 20:37..
Old 6th January 2016, 21:33

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

The adapter price doesn't look too high. I think mine cost £110 a corner.

Not sure what torque you can put through wires but mine are 1950's from an Aston Martin and have had full throttle acceleration and driven at over 130mph, on a private road obviously, without ill effect
Old 6th January 2016, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by y cymro View Post
You might find This tool useful to visualise changes in wheel offset.

This one is good too.
That helps a little but the most useful dimension you need is the "back face". Once you know this for your old wheels and the your proposed new wheels you can work out where it will all end up.
I think the problem with the 250 SWB is body line when viewed from above is only a very short distance out from the wheel disc hub. The result is it all sticks out too far when you have the spline adaptors on.
Old 6th January 2016, 21:56

I'm not sure how much work it would be to fit the narrow body axle components but it could help a lot ?
Old 6th January 2016, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
That helps a little but the most useful dimension you need is the "back face". Once you know this for your old wheels and the your proposed new wheels you can work out where it will all end up.
No, it's not. We're discussing wheel poke to ensure wheelarch clearance, and the necessary dimensions are total wheel width (not the J dimension) and the wheel offset.
The back face dimension is required to ascertain whether there's sufficient clearance from the inner rim to suspension components and bodyshell when on lock. Knowing the wheel width and ET dimension it's easy to calculate the backface dimension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
I think the problem with the 250 SWB is body line when viewed from above is only a very short distance out from the wheel disc hub. The result is it all sticks out too far when you have the spline adaptors on.
Which is the point made above by WCA, Smash and Mr T, and is why Richard has commissioned special lower offset spline adapters. But even so, you're going to need extended arches or a narrow rear hub conversion of you want to fit wheels with a large offset.

Last edited by y cymro; 6th January 2016 at 23:32.. Reason: Stupid iPad autocorrection. Artificial intelligence bollocks
Old 7th January 2016, 06:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by y cymro View Post
...even so, you're going to need extended arches or a narrow rear hub conversion of you want to fit wheels with a large offset.
...or you could just use a pre-facelift 1.9 donor to start with. After all, in terms of power produced against capacity, it's a far more efficient engine than the 2.8.

Queue WCA...
Old 7th January 2016, 07:41

I did actually bid on a out run 1.9 year 2000 Z3 that had had 2.8 engine running gear swap so would've been ideal for SWB - typically I missed the end of the auction!
Closed Thread