Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 26th August 2016, 12:06

mazdarazmataz is on a distinguished road

I had a play with it, and the finish was similar to my poor spraying technique in regards to orange peel.

I'm no expert, but I guess as long as you have a thickness of paint to cut back then you can get a high gloss finish. It worked on my test section. Gave it 2 coats (needs at least 3 tho) then I used 400 wet then 1250 wet then 1500 wet then 2 buffs with meguires ultimate compound. No clear coat as its a flat colour.

Probably need a different process if using Metallic paint.
Old 26th August 2016, 12:49

Barber is on a distinguished road

Fatbloke, Roadster and Towed are the subject matter experts on rollering. Fatbloke's thread is the most current, and if he gets a half decent finish after mopping, there will be a whole load of have a go yourself projects. The great thing is that you can hardly do any harm, just wasting a little money and a lot of effort. I am waiting to hear if the variable sander on another thread could be set fine enough for doing most of the donkey work in cutting back.
Old 26th August 2016, 15:12

Old Jock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Fatbloke, Roadster and Towed are the subject matter experts on rollering. Fatbloke's thread is the most current, and if he gets a half decent finish after mopping, there will be a whole load of have a go yourself projects. The great thing is that you can hardly do any harm, just wasting a little money and a lot of effort. I am waiting to hear if the variable sander on another thread could be set fine enough for doing most of the donkey work in cutting back.
I'm very interested too. See the thread by Car Photographer for another roller finish 1st kit car Fiorano Which thread has the variable sander on it?
Old 26th August 2016, 15:18

Barber is on a distinguished road

see post 271
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...t=5532&page=14
Old 26th August 2016, 15:37

Roadster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306craig View Post
I have just been reading the paint thread (work is quiet), getting tips and hints Ref sanding and smoothing and saw the link here regarding rollering!! Are we honestly saying we can roller / brush paint primer, top coat and clear coat? And then with ALOT of work (but no cost) get a paint shop sandard finish? This is very interesting news, and I am extremely interested in investigating the possibilities of this.
Craig its easier than that.
There is no clear coat.
Synthetic paint used on commercials and plant / farm machinery is good for rollering as is rustoleum.

Good choice of classic colours and plenty of videos on youtube.
Old 26th August 2016, 17:43

Yea the rustoleum 7300 combicolour is what everyone uses, with 10percent thinners it self levels nicely
Old 26th August 2016, 18:22

306craig is on a distinguished road

You see, you guys are talking a foreign language to me now - rustoleum! Self levels! All sounds like the devils work to me!!!!!!!!!

One thing I am concerned about is the time of year? Working on the principle of a 6x3 gazebo with the sides on and rollering / brushing will I get a good finish this time of year or will air moisture have a negative impact?
Old 26th August 2016, 19:22

Like I said earlier the process relies on thickness of paint and cutting back to achieve gloss finish. So your topcoat/layer will typically look pretty poor after painting (orange peel/ dust/insects) rustoleum is an enamel paint, so it kind of flows into itself over time (self levels, think old school coach paint). It also takes ages to dry compared to spraying, hence why it attracts so much contamination.

Rustoleum is about £34 for 2.5 litres ( plenty)
Everyone uses Harris high density foam rollers with rounded edge (typically £5 in home bargains etc)

Hope some of this helps

Consider you are doing 2 cars Craig? 3k worth of paint and labour could potentially be spent on some pretty fantastic equipment, such as a professional apollo electric hvlp sprayer for around £300

Last edited by mazdarazmataz; 26th August 2016 at 19:26..
Old 26th August 2016, 20:43

fatbloke is on a distinguished road

A few other notes of caution - I didn't put enough effort in to the prep before priming so there some high spots which, when cut back, left me with the primer showing through. I'm not too worried but if you are after a showroom finish this might annoy you. Also, getting in to some of the more fiddly areas to get rid of the orange peel or brush strokes is a grade 1 PIA.
Old 26th August 2016, 20:51

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Tekaloid is another option. Coach enamel originally for narrow boat painting. There are some good blogs around and it seems quite popular in the Landy and VW circles.

The downside is that it needs to be dust free for 24 hours but if you have the skills the results are amazing.
Old 26th August 2016, 22:14

Old Jock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Thanks Barber
Old 28th August 2016, 19:48

Today was spent mopping with G3 scratch remover, a wash and chamois down and then a polish with Autoglym Super Resin polish. This is the result:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My take, it's not a "factory finish" paint job but if you have a limited budget and plenty of time rollering isn't a bad way to get some colour on your car.

Last edited by fatbloke; 28th August 2016 at 19:50..
Old 28th August 2016, 20:22

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

I'm a self confessed fan of Matt paint but that looks very good to me. Great work on a budget.
Old 28th August 2016, 20:54

TynoPrime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
My take, it's not a "factory finish" paint job but if you have a limited budget and plenty of time rollering isn't a bad way to get some colour on your car.
I think you're hugely underplaying what an incredible job you've done. We're literally talking about more than £1000 worth of savings. Even £2000 depending on where you are in the world. Yes it's not PERFECT but unless the pictures are incredibly forgiving to the point of lying id say it's one hell of a finish that any one with very little skill and a very large amount of patience can get - again I stress; for thousands less than a spray finish.

Personally I will be spraying my car, but only because I have experience spraying cellulose, a decent set up, a good (Anest Iwata 400) spray gun and a booth at work I can use. Otherwise I'd certainly be trying this.

Well. F**king. Played.
Old 28th August 2016, 21:01

Thanks TynoPrime - I think Scottie said his paint job looks good from about 10ft away and this is about the same. As always with these things, if I were to do it again I would do some things differently but I'm reasonably pleased with the results.

Chris - I fancied matt but was told "It will look like a kit car" by my kids so had to cave on that one. Anyway, time to start doing more to the inside, just don't tell the wife!
Old 28th August 2016, 21:04

Wow just fantastic fatbloke. Looks great, well done. Time to enjoy it now.

Any initial reactions from passers by?
Old 28th August 2016, 21:17

Interesting drive to Lincoln the other week from our home just outside Cambridge. One Merc went past three times as the woman in the passenger seat tried to work out what the bloody hell it was.
Old 28th August 2016, 22:01

About 38 million dollars love, you can't afford it lol
Old 28th August 2016, 23:25
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

That looks just great ! I find it inspirational seeing what can be done - lots of work pays off. Something original and looking so great. You be very proud of yourself. I would be

Dave
Old 29th August 2016, 07:54

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Fatbloke - The car looks great.

The black trim around the headlight covers goes well with the "black" vents.

Enjoy, Paul.

PS
At some point I will be hand painting my car and would be very happy with a finish as good as yours.