Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 26th April 2020, 19:29

Munky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysharrock View Post
grind back the gel coat back to the fiberglass lined up the arch so your happy and fixed it with screws for a good fit. next take it off again mix up some resin and basically glue them together using a bit of matting to fill any gaps. put the screws back in till dry drill a few holes and fill with foam dont over fill it could move the arch. when it's all hard remove the screws sand it back and glass over the joint , away you go
Thank you for taking the time to reply and teach me!

This is looking amazing. Can’t wait to see your Z3GT when that happens.

Timing seems to be tripping me up. I tried to get in touch with Chris when the 250 came out but there was a little delay and I ended up with a 911 project. I’ve just bought a Caterham project but so tempted by the Z3GT and seeing all the fun you are having...
Old 26th April 2020, 19:41

andysharrock is on a distinguished road

lol zgt is on order and the car is sat striped ready to bolt it on it's even got wire wheels on ready. best thing to do with chris is call him if you need a quick answer. but seems you have got your hands full at the mo. have fun
Old 28th April 2020, 17:24

my car has a light tan dash and interior I don't mind it wife hates it lol. we won't have the car 5 mins when its finished but hey ho anything for a quiet life . I bought a dash from chris I have modified it for a better fit, it now goes all the way down to the screen. started the process of taking a mould off it as I now need two
IMG_20200428_114354.jpg

IMG_20200428_142557.jpg

IMG_20200428_162246.jpg
Old 28th April 2020, 17:40

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
wired my lights up and also fitted DRL but I am going to switch them so they can be turned off.
I have also wired up for the spotlights in the grill so ebay here I come again. my bank should be called paypal that all it says on the statement.
Attachment 6724

Attachment 6728

with the hinge breaking on the boot lid I made some modifications to MX5 hinges and made some captive bolt plates for the back of the lid . works a treat just need to figure out the latch.
Attachment 6729

Attachment 6726

Attachment 6727
Liking the internal hinges. How have you fixed the hinge onto the body side ? Any photos ? I might do the same my Z3GT convertible
Old 28th April 2020, 19:58

came off the roll cage with some box section welded on then bolted the hinge onto that so I can move them around a bit for adjustments
IMG_20200426_132304.jpg
Old 30th April 2020, 19:01

oops i did it again ,for whatever reason the flow coat and the primer did not like each other so I striped the rear end. made a small body mod at the same time. 1st test fit of my new dash fitted first time bit of work should be pukaI cant take all the credit for the dash. I bought one from chris just extended and modified it so it now goes down to the window screen all in one piece

IMG_20200429_132614.jpg

IMG_20200430_170949.jpg

IMG_20200430_171003.jpg

IMG_20200430_171020.jpg

IMG_20200430_164322.jpg
Old 30th April 2020, 19:24

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
oops i did it again ,for whatever reason the flow coat and the primer did not like each other
I couldn't see what happened to the primer, but guess it created in some way - could it be the wax content of the flowcoat?
Damned auto spelling changed reacted to created! crikey it changed it to reached this time,. but I saw it

Last edited by Mitchelkitman; 30th April 2020 at 22:55.. Reason: to correct spelling
Old 30th April 2020, 21:26

looked like the flow coat was not 100% set when I primered over it . It looked ok till it was in full sun then you could see it starting to crack ,luckily just on the back panel and boot lid. could have been not mixed properly it was an old tin I have had for years poss gone off will never know all striped off now ready to re primer
Old 30th April 2020, 22:54

GRP is strange stuff. I used a plug to make a female mould last year. a few days later I waxed it well several times and made a part in it - a couple of days later there was no way I could get it out and both the part and mould were scrap.
Made a new female mould off same plug, and this time I let it cure for 2 weeks. Similar prep with same wax, and when I made the first part it almost fell straight out.
It seems (reading on the 'net) that if (in this case the female mould) isn't fully cured then some cross-linking of molecules will still take place even with good release prep. If the weather's sunny I leave GRP (if in a good, stable mould that won't move) out in direct sunlight to cook it nicely
Old 1st May 2020, 08:46

thanks for the info Mitchelkitman I have ordered in some gel coat did plan to take a copy off the dash when it's ready. but after your info think I will put it in the boiler house for a few days to cook it.
Old 1st May 2020, 09:46

Quote:
thanks for the info Mitchelkitman I have ordered in some gel coat did plan to take a copy off the dash when it's ready. but after your info think I will put it in the boiler house for a few days to cook it.
You need to ensure it can't move though, otherwise it could change shape in the heat- If it's in a (much thicker) mould whilst it cures then it's very unlikely to sag. If the part isn't in a mould to stabilise it, it may be best left for a couple of weeks in room temperature, maybe left in position in the car?. I know someone who had an old kit which had never been built, and the bootlid hadn't been stored in position. When he offered it up to the car is was clearly bent by a few inches. Held by wood and braced over a few months gradually bent it back to its correct shape. Some people advocate the blue PVA release agent, but I had a part stick using it (similarly made the mould a few days before) so I've never trusted it again. I've heard others have poor results with PVA also.
Old 1st May 2020, 16:05

molleur is on a distinguished road

I use a brand of release wax called "Honey Wax" and green PVA over that for difficult parts. Allow to cure for 48 hours and 100% success.
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:51

Default seats out dash out

here we go test fitting the new dash so seats out dash out ,I worked out after some jiggling that I can keep the centre console so most of the plastic trims will then refit with minor work in the foot wells. on a plus side saves me loads of work re routing the switches I did look at changing it but keeping out weighs taking it out
IMG_20200502_101327.jpg

IMG_20200502_151428.jpg

IMG_20200502_151440.jpg
I have ordered some Mirror Glaze 8 Paste Release Wax hopefully it should work for the one off I will be doing . thanks for the info molleur & Mitchelkitman
Old 5th May 2020, 20:57

my release wax arrived yesterday so I got to work making a mold for the next dashboard. it was a bugger to get off the mold is thick around the front and corners so it doesn't flex. I have ordered some pva release agent for when I attempt to make another I am going in belt and braces for the next one wax and pva so it will hopefully pop out . I wish lol

IMG_20200504_122057.jpg

IMG_20200504_153239.jpg

IMG_20200504_153255.jpg

IMG_20200505_175424.jpg

IMG_20200505_175432.jpg
Old 5th May 2020, 21:02

On difficult parts I use both wax and PVA. I do swear by
"Honey Wax". Much better than the Mirror Glaze.
Old 5th May 2020, 23:39

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Glass in a couple tube ports to the mould so you can use some compressed air to help it come apart. You don't need much air, a foot pump can generate enough pressure to separate the two if you haven't got a compressor.
Old 6th May 2020, 14:34

good idea. If using PVA, some water squirted into the mold will help too. PVA is water soluble.
Old 15th May 2020, 19:36

I am waiting on parts from all over the place so having a play with the interior .made up some fiberglass door cars and started on the headlining what a pain
IMG_20200515_112946.jpg

IMG_20200515_120218.jpg

IMG_20200515_135655.jpg

IMG_20200515_161151.jpg

IMG_20200515_172948.jpg
Old 25th May 2020, 18:59

always seem to be waiting on parts at the mo so flicking between cars as they arrive. managed to get one dash in and almost complete,painted with textured paint.
IMG_20200523_155848.jpg
after seeing the inside of a zagato without a centre console just carpet I decided the stock BMW console had to go. I made up a mold and set about making a new centre for the other car

IMG_20200525_133608.jpg

test fit here's one I just made lol. I've extended the sides so it meets up with the rest of the trim so no gaps

IMG_20200525_162657.jpg

some of the switches fitted ,hopefully will get it all in tomorrow and possibly get it painted

IMG_20200525_171519.jpg

not going old school with this car I wanted mod cons it's got a dab radio and power charging points for phone etc
Old 25th May 2020, 21:46

That's the great thing about Kit Cars - do what you want!

re the PVA, I've never had any luck with it (bits stuck in mould!) it seems so work as a good glue for me. I discussed this with one of the manufacturers about 5 years ago at stoneleigh and he'd also experienced the same.