Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion

Formosa Builds, Ideas and Discussion Formosa 120 GR and related builds

Old 16th February 2018, 19:41

lancelot link is on a distinguished road
Default Mainland EUROPE Distribution

I have just secured a deal with the Dutch Kit car dealers Kitcarcollection . They are a company selling used kit cars and some new products in Holland.

They are going to be my distributor for the Formosa packages and the idea is to supply each package with a rolling Triumph chassis and documentation . This enables the buyer to self build in Holland with less issues than many other kit options.
Bas , the owner , is no stranger to the Kit Car market and he is able to register these cars very easily in Holland and once registered there , export into Germany , Belgium , France etc is much easier than direct from UK too ...

My deal is to give Bas exclusive rights for Holland , any enquiries to me from there will be directed back to him ...I would recommend any interested parties in Germany , Belgium etc. to deal with Bas in Holland too ...as I think he is of great value to a buyer/builder in the registration process ....

First package has been ordered , a suitable donor chassis and V5c is in place , I will create a rolling shell to be shipped ...pictures to follow ...
Available from eBay
Old 16th February 2018, 20:22

molleur is on a distinguished road

Congratulations!
Could be a great assistance.
Old 16th February 2018, 20:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by molleur View Post
Congratulations!
Could be a great assistance.
Thank you ....the law changed in Holland fairly recently and a once fairly relaxed system got very tight over night ...kits cars built post 1998 , I think are very difficult to get on the road now ..they have to be tested like a new car ...so Bas buys older builds to stay in business ...The concept I created with the S*mmio and its kin works in Holland , they have a 2/3's original ruling , a bit like our 8 point system and the Formosa qualifies and retains the same advantages a classic car does in Holland , ie. road tax exempt etc...so even new builds are ok to register , cars like MEV Replicar , Cobra's etc. are not going to appeal to the home builder anymore ....so happy days !!
Old 16th February 2018, 20:48

Excellent! Best of luck!
Jack
Old 18th February 2018, 15:18

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Just goes to show that the Europe thing has not worked for many. It was meant to be a level playing field with equal rights and rules across the board. This is a good example that it isn't the case and that some countries within the EU are more equal than others !

Anyway, good luck with your exports, it looks like you have hit the ground running. Those bodyshells look really good quality and value for money, you will do well with them.
Old 18th February 2018, 17:42

Thank you ....Bas was telling me to get a new build through the test now , paying the revenue etc. could easily cost around 20,000 euro's !!
Thats mad ....
Old 18th February 2018, 18:04

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Thank you ....Bas was telling me to get a new build through the test now , paying the revenue etc. could easily cost around 20,000 euro's !!
Thats mad ....
And they wonder why we are leaving the EU !!
Old 18th February 2018, 19:41

Don't even get me started on the EU! And that's from a Yank.
Old 9th March 2018, 20:38

First body in the workshop , frame arriving tomorrow and then a quick assembly onto a rolling chassis exercise on Monday and we are good to go ...first one off to Holland next week ... pictures to follow !
Old 14th March 2018, 18:30

Ready for collection ....

Old 30th April 2018, 08:57

Bas got his kit last night around 2 am ... !!

Shipped by a company called TOMAC TRANSPORT ...They collected from me about a month ago ,after several date changes they finally wanted to pick it up at midnight ..I said no ...so it was collected the following morning ...Bas was told he would have it a week later approx... about a month later , after several date changes , he got the phonecall ...''we will be with you at midnight !! '' He is more tolerant than me and agreed ...they were late ...

I strongly advise no one to use this company ..god knows where that kit has been in the interim period ....or how safe it was etc.

Last edited by lancelot link; 30th April 2018 at 09:03..
Old 30th April 2018, 16:55

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Hopefully not To Poland for them to scan it and copy it !!!!
Old 30th April 2018, 21:22

I thought that too Red ..but the tape , door frames and panels inside look like they are undisturbed .....

To be honest , the minute I suspect anyone is about to copy it , I will withdraw the kit from the market and only supply finished turnkey cars ...
Old 1st May 2018, 11:46

redratbike is on a distinguished road

I said that tongue in cheek but seem to be a lot of copies coming from that way of different fibreglass items
Old 1st May 2018, 15:00

Barber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought that too Red ..but the tape , door frames and panels inside look like they are undisturbed .....

To be honest , the minute I suspect anyone is about to copy it , I will withdraw the kit from the market and only supply finished turnkey cars ...
Why would you punish genuine potential customers? You would just drive them towards the bandits? I can understand why you might go that route to keep the value high though.
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:05
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

If it helps I know a guy who will deliver a car any where in Europe!
I have used him several times and find he is reasonable, very reliable, safe and most importantly his work is a door-to-door service.
He has just quoted me £960 to deliver the Bugatti from Swindon Wilts to Feriburg Germany.
Beats the other quote of £1,880 hands down.
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
If it helps I know a guy who will deliver a car any where in Europe!
I have used him several times and find he is reasonable, very reliable, safe and most importantly his work is a door-to-door service.
He has just quoted me £960 to deliver the Bugatti from Swindon Wilts to Feriburg Germany.
Beats the other quote of £1,880 hands down.
THANK YOU ...That sounds like it might be Cedric ? I have used him before but lost his details ...found him on Shiply ...nice guy ..
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
Why would you punish genuine potential customers? You would just drive them towards the bandits? I can understand why you might go that route to keep the value high though.
I do understand where you are coming from Barber , but you are approaching the debate from a customer / enthusiast perspective ....I have to look at it with my business / survival hat on ...

I am not just in this game for monetry gain ...I am a genuine enthusiast , so fully get what you are saying ....I created the S*mmio because I had no realistic options presented to me when I decided I want a 50's Sports car ...
If I pulled my body from the market , the options are still plentiful nowadays thanks to the current trend towards all things retro ...
I have invested a lot of time and money into this bodyshell , spent money I shouldn't have , made sacrifices I shouldn't have , literally lived on virtually no money for 18 months , did jobs I didn't want to do for people who took advantage of my obvious hunger , etc etc etc...not going to cry about it , but I equally would be pretty pissed off if I gave somebody else the opportunity to profit from my efforts .....so , if someone copied it , I would pull it ...anyone who simply can't live without a Formosa could still approach me and I might release a body , or they could buy one from Blackbeard Mouldings ...
You are right , restricting access to the bodies and building turnkeys , like DNA did , could push the value up ...maybe , but prices are rising off the back of the classic market anyway ...ironically , rising values is what makes piracy even more attractive ...
If I only offered turnkeys and someone bought one and copied it , at least I would have taken upwards of 20,000 of their pieces of 8 off of them ...at the moment , just over 3 grand gets someone into the game , plus moulding costs obviously ...
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:44
Enthusiast

micky1mo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
THANK YOU ...That sounds like it might be Cedric ? I have used him before but lost his details ...found him on Shiply ...nice guy ..
That's him, I keep him sweet with a cuppa and a biscuit when he calls.
Old 3rd May 2018, 07:07

Barber is on a distinguished road

Gary, understood. Thanks for taking the time for a fulsome answer.