Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 7th October 2012, 12:31

Brian C is on a distinguished road
Default Tools Required for Tribute Build

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to list all of the tools required to undertake the Tribute build.

I have nothing in the way of mechanics tools although I do have a hammer and chisel at the ready!

Any advice would be most appreciated as I am expecting that this investment needs to be taken into consideration.

Many thanks,

Brian
Available from eBay
Old 7th October 2012, 18:59

seanick is on a distinguished road

Mmm, well how about...

An average socket set
An average ring spanner set
An average screw driver set
I think you need those just to get through life in general if you own a house/car/bike or boat

A jigsaw for trimming window surrounds an gtp panels, but you could use a hacksaw or pad saw.An electric drill for er hole drilling
Set of bits for the above. Again a usual household tool.
Trolley jack and a pair of axle stands sanding is handy, but not nescercery. If you are into cars you probably have these.

An electric sander is nice, but not nessercery. You get a better finish with long boards and hand sanding wet.

Volt meter

I reckon most of that would nit cost a lot if sourced at a car boot. New maybe £150?

This list is not exhaustive, I just cannot think of anything else!
Old 7th October 2012, 19:51

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanick View Post
Mmm, well how about...

An average socket set
An average ring spanner set
An average screw driver set
I think you need those just to get through life in general if you own a house/car/bike or boat

A jigsaw for trimming window surrounds an gtp panels, but you could use a hacksaw or pad saw.An electric drill for er hole drilling
Set of bits for the above. Again a usual household tool.
Trolley jack and a pair of axle stands sanding is handy, but not nescercery. If you are into cars you probably have these.

An electric sander is nice, but not nessercery. You get a better finish with long boards and hand sanding wet.

Volt meter

I reckon most of that would nit cost a lot if sourced at a car boot. New maybe £150?

This list is not exhaustive, I just cannot think of anything else!
Nick, you have beaten me to it again! Your list is only missing the pop-rivet gun and electrical fittings crimper.
Old 7th October 2012, 20:18

I'm sorry. If I spent as much time working on the car as I did on this forum my build would be finished by now......te he.

Had a great time at Goodwood today, with two sessions on the go kart's with some mates so they did a grid start for us.....chaos!
Went in the Morris and the Burlington, with family co-drivers.
Finished the final details on the Burlington like rear mudguards and some front suspension covers, but just have to reshape the exhaust where it touches then its sort of finished for now. Only finished those bits friday. Then will start on my 250 this week....shock horror, even though I am still waiting for my wheels.

Last edited by seanick; 7th October 2012 at 20:20..
Old 8th October 2012, 15:13

davecymru is on a distinguished road

You've missed out an angle grinder with 1mm cutting discs and flap-wheel sanding discs.

I'd probably say that on my Sammio build the angle grinder is the power tool i used the most for cutting / restyling / grinding / sanding / shaping etc. and while the kits are different the "type" of build is similar so i'd imagine the type of jobs are similar?

The 1mm cutting discs go through just about anything with amazing ease and saved me SO much time and effort! And those flapwheel discs were brilliant for shaping glass fibre, as well as cleaning up metal and were more friendly than grinding discs when necessary!
Old 8th October 2012, 18:22

I agree with a grinder (grindette, 4") being handy (I have four, to save changing from cutting to grinding to sanding etc) and you could sub one for a jigsaw as it has more uses, but, it will not cut fair curves very well, so for trimming GRP I prefer a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade.
Flap wheels in drills are simply horrid, sooo diy ;-) There you are much better off with a sanding disc in a grindette. Sculpt away!
Old 9th October 2012, 19:51

Great feedback, thanks to you all.
Old 10th October 2012, 16:14

Peepsy is on a distinguished road

Dont forget the PPE ! I have been sanding and cutting and GRP is nasty stuff, disposable dust masks, decent glasses and disposable gloves. Overalls are a good idea so you dont take it into the house A Hoover is useful to keep the dust down. A pair of tweezers to pull the glass splinters out of your hands while you watch Emmerdale. Buy decent sand paper its much better value in the long run. Goodluck
Old 10th October 2012, 17:16

Hi Peepsy,

Very enlightening - thank you.

Sounds like I should do some preparation work over the next few weeks and roll around in my loft insulation in order to get acclimatised!

It is things like this that a novice needs to know, so good work.

Cheers,

Brian
Old 10th October 2012, 18:11

tonyt is on a distinguished road

I thought having ichy arms was part of the process.
Old 11th October 2012, 19:08

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepsy View Post
Dont forget the PPE ! I have been sanding and cutting and GRP is nasty stuff, disposable dust masks, decent glasses and disposable gloves. Overalls are a good idea so you dont take it into the house A Hoover is useful to keep the dust down. A pair of tweezers to pull the glass splinters out of your hands while you watch Emmerdale. Buy decent sand paper its much better value in the long run. Goodluck
Sound advice Roger, for everyone, you only breath in GRP dust once before you buy a decent mask.