Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Dino 246 Builds and Discussion

Dino 246 Builds and Discussion Da da da da daaa daa da da, ohoho Dino

Old 11th December 2016, 08:43
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaffy View Post
Spend alot of time looking but rarely comment. Your build is so good it is worth breaking my silence, amazing stuff and thanks for sharing.
Number of posts =1. Rarely is an understatement

It is a greet build and welcome to the forum as a poster ftaffy

Dave
Old 12th December 2016, 00:50

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

Amazing work
Old 12th December 2016, 07:19

Axel is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot guys,
I am still working at it, but it is so many little details, brackets, reinforcements so I did not take the time to take pictures and post, but there is progress!
Old 14th December 2016, 23:09
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

awesome work as usual Axel. One question for you. How does photography equate to plans? I ask because I have been trying to get good plans for a Dino 246 body and the photos Ive found have an astonishing amount of distortion due to perspective & lens. If I'm not sure I can trust the outline drawings I've found on the net (or in the Dino workshop manual) how can photos work? I have the front panels of a real 246 in my garage and measuring them up - they just don't seem to overlay on photos.
Old 15th December 2016, 07:36

That is right Ross, you cannot take a sideview outline from photos, I always overlaid the photos I have taken from my car with some I found in the inet and tried to use the same distortion and lens.
I did not have a sideview outline from the 206SP, I found an old plan from an early 206SP but it was too unprecise.
What I did is I also played with some 3D files to generate outlines, but it did not work well...
So it is all based on the feeling for lines and proportions... but actually it should be much easier to find plans for the 246GT!!

You lucky bastard have original 246 panels? Or fiberglass Deon DGT or else?
The Deon is not based on the 246 but on the 206GT, I found out there is a big difference between the earlier 206 and the 246, front and back of the 206 are much lower, bumpers go down at the front, looks less attractive than the 246!
Old 15th December 2016, 09:37

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossnzwpi View Post
awesome work as usual Axel. One question for you. How does photography equate to plans? I ask because I have been trying to get good plans for a Dino 246 body and the photos Ive found have an astonishing amount of distortion due to perspective & lens. If I'm not sure I can trust the outline drawings I've found on the net (or in the Dino workshop manual) how can photos work? I have the front panels of a real 246 in my garage and measuring them up - they just don't seem to overlay on photos.
Hi rossnzwpi
are you intending building your own dino?. I have a deon gt and to be honest I've fell out with it! I want to build my own chassis and fit a cascu body to it.
Do you have any chassis plans? I want to base it loosely around the dino chassis but I cannot find any plans anywhere.
Ian
Old 23rd December 2016, 22:32
Enthusiast

Hi Axel and Ian,
yes I bought the front panels of a 246 GT from a panel beater who replaced them after a crash. He was going to repair and sell the panels but then ended up selling them to defray costs after a decade or so:

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/rossnzwpi/media/Dino246_front-panels_zps5iwmscjn.jpg.html?filters[user]=146005730&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

I have considered building a DIY Dino replica and may start a thread here to gather ideas and designs. The Dino chassis is pretty old fashioned - large tubes (oval) as a flat platform with some raised parts over engine bay, front suspension and front bulkhead with minimal triangulation. I guess its pretty heavy and not that resistant to twisting. It does allow for low door sills and a flatfish floor. Personally I'd prefer to go for a multitube, highly triangulated chassis made out of smaller section mild steel tube (like a more sophisticated midengined Locost)

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/rossnzwpi/media/246GT_chassis_blueprint_zpsfxumy6tw.jpg.html?filte rs[user]=146005730&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Old 23rd December 2016, 23:04
Enthusiast

Actually a chassis a bit like this one on the locust site, with lower sills is what I have in mind. Sorry if the photo links are not working:

Old 24th December 2016, 00:18
Enthusiast

Hi Axel. The 206 doesn't look that different to the 246 and the bumpers etc don't go down much. The droopy front and back you refer to is, I think, because the replica moulds somewhere along the way were taken out too green and drooped. The progenitor was a genuine 206GT that a gentleman had a mould taken from and then he adjusted the length of the wheelbase slightly to suit his Lotus Europa chassis by shifting the rear wheel arches. DGT, Deon, etc are based on this faulty mould.
Old 24th December 2016, 00:28
Enthusiast

Default open source Alfa V6 mid engine sports car

A guy named Tim Wright has been designing an open source sportscar (mid engine Alfa V6+Alfa transaxle) and has 3D CAD modelled the engine and weighed it in minute detail. His chassis is a bit too wide and more of a track day car with limited door access but it is very interesting. In the interests of open source he might contribute his measurements and ideas (he is a suspension designer by trade)

his build diary:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...p?f=14&t=13521
Old 24th December 2016, 10:45

Default dino

Hi rossnzwpi

Funny that, a guy in england was selling a full front end just the same a few months back! went for silly money too!
Loved the 246 chassis plans-shame it's not bigger so I could study in detail!!
I had a visit to a small kit car recently company and they have given me a little food for thought. Alfa engine and an mr2 turbo gearbox. Search turbonutter lancia mr2. Interesting. Or the engine to go for lexus rx300 mr2 box, bolts straight up-no adaptors.
I'm trying to source a box at the moment and see if it'll bolt to my cosworth V6.Also looking at a focus rs box so I'll look at both. But really want to ditch the deon chassis.

Ian
Old 25th December 2016, 21:36
Enthusiast

I was doing a search for chassis and came across this English company who will customise their design. It uses MGTF running gear and they size it as a replacement for VW beetle chassis in kitcars. Worth a look:
http://www.pievalleybuggies.co.uk/chassis.html
Old 28th December 2016, 12:50

Default chassis

hi all

I had looked at these guy's before and assume the quoted price is a starter price before any customizing of the chassis is done. Dehavilland use the complete mgf subframes along with the mg engine in their chassis build, but are said to be looking into a V6 engine mod option. But they still use the original JHClassic's moulds so still with the inherited body anomalies.
I happened to come across some original dino 246gt side gutter/rain strips and also a front screen rubber filler strip. To my amazement the gutter strips fitted straight on to the return I had bonded onto my deon/JHC so side glass and door glass must be the same in the 206/246? The screen filler fits the scuttle and the upright front screen pillars width wise although does not fit at the top!! Therefor the 246gt screen must be about 20mm taller than the 206. This confirms to me why a friend's replacement dino screen didn't fit. After a small accident resulted in his screen shattering the local auto screen people broke the replacement screen while refitting it,then claiming it was too big for the opening! I remember he sourced a replacement at the time from deon.
I studied your chassis pictures and compared them to the cascu build on face book a couple of years ago.Although similar there are quite a few differences. The pic you posted shows outriggers not fitted on his chassis, and also a slight difference in the centre tunnel. Do you have a date on the blueprint?

ian
Old 31st December 2016, 05:12
Enthusiast

Sorry the blueprint is just a photo of something that was up for auction - its all over the 'net but only in the size I have here. Personally I wouldn't want to do a replica of the real Dino chassis because its not that great and you could do better with modern design. It also is dimensioned around a symmetrical engine/gearbox and would probably require quite a lot of rethinking with end-on transmission and the suspension that would force on you.. If you had a V6 or V8 Ferrari combo then just buying Cascu's chassis would be the easiest path.
Old 31st December 2016, 05:17
Enthusiast

"Do you have a date on the blueprint?" the legend on the blueprint says 4/3/69
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:24

Default chassis

Hi

Took a look at the open source pages. Wow! some knowledgeable guys out there! I agree with you that the dino chassis is dated and possibly heavy too.
I've sourced a couple of gearboxes and I have a spare V6 cosworth engine so I'll have a mess around with them see what fits best. I would like to stick with he ford box if possible as my mate owns a ford dealership so parts are no problem,but will look at the mr2 box as well.
It was mentioned on here before about coming up with a "locust" type chassis
plan and it's a shame it never got going. So my next thinking is to copy the deon chassis I have but alter it to my needs and update it. People who own DEON'S/JHC dino's have said that they handle very well, and I know it was tested on the track so they must have done something right?

ian
Old 3rd January 2017, 20:43
Enthusiast

Hi Ian, from memory the suspension was designed by a company called Geoscan? Hawk Stratos kits have lots of info on uprating the driveshafts, hubs, brakes etc because they too used Lancia Beta rear uprights and Fiat 125 fronts. It would be great if you could measure the geometry of the Deon you have and post sketches/photos of it
Ross
Old 4th January 2017, 16:07

Talking dino

Hi all

we seemed to have Hijacked axel's thread here!!
I've started a new thread on the forum so head over there!

ian
Old 5th January 2017, 09:38

No problem for me as I have no important updates at the moment...just minor work done during the holidays!

Happy new year to everyone!!
Old 9th September 2019, 10:03

Hi guys

it's a long time now with no updates and the car is still sitting in the garage, I have done some work inbetween but not worth showing.
I thought I can fresh up my motivation with a running engine mated to a longitudinal gearbox, so I bought a Ford 2.9i V6 cologne in good condition last week.
Two things I would like to do now:
1. get rid of the EFI and put carbs instead to keep the original 60ies spirit and look, three double carbs and may be I can use the EFI manifold with a adaptor plate...
2. Find a gearbox for midengine configuration.

I know the TVR had triple carb configuration so I think this change can be done without much problems, use the 2.3 or 2.8 standard ignition and some carbs will do it for me. I do not intend to go for maximum power, just need V6 sound and a running engine.

The gearbox will be much more difficult, I have a VW adapter plate with flywheel, but I need to rotate the VW boxes (beetle or VW bus T3) upside down to have the midengine config.
Some people did this with Porsche boxes in a GT40 but Porsche is no option for me, that is too expansive.

Does anybody have advices for alternative gearboxes? I am pretty lost at the moment and don't know if an upside down VW box will last...
Did anybody do something like this?

Thanks guys, any help is much appreciated!
Axel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0094.jpg (97.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Axel; 9th September 2019 at 10:06..