Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 24th April 2016, 20:37

306craig is on a distinguished road
Default New Tribute member

Well I think I have had quite a good weekend!!! Following my chat with Chris on Friday morning I came home and trimmed out the offending Mk1 wheel arch bits (see pic 27). No wonder I had got the entire back end wedged solid!!! Then re-aligned the back end, marked up, back off, fitted the rear 'parcel shelf', roughed up the top of the windscreen, loads of glue, back end back on (see pic 30). Result!!!!!!

Saturday saw me doing some gardening and generally pottering about the house, but got an hour or 2 to get the exhaust mid section changed (old one was rotten) and the new (fleabay new) twin exit back box fitted (see pic 31). Currently held up with zip ties, and will need a little bit of cutting / shaping of the rear skirt for it to fit properly, but a good idea of how it will look. Sounds reeeeeeally good too.

Weather wasn't brilliant today, but dry long enough for me to measure up and get the rear lights fitted, think they are looking good. Now off to fleabay to look for rear number plates and vintage rear reflectors a la original GTO.

Not bad for 3 weeks in I think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27.jpg (92.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 30.jpg (96.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 31.jpg (97.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 34.jpg (97.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 24th April 2016, 21:12

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road

When you factor in the bad weather and the rust repair you have done, you are doing really well for 3 weeks of spare time.
Old 24th April 2016, 21:16

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

Never sure about the S111 landy rear lights, but I do know the tyres are in the wrong place!

Good progress, keep it up...
Old 24th April 2016, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute Automotive View Post
When you factor in the bad weather and the rust repair you have done, you are doing really well for 3 weeks of spare time.
Cheers Chris. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Will keep plugging away whenever the weather permits.
Old 24th April 2016, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmannnn View Post
Never sure about the S111 landy rear lights, but I do know the tyres are in the wrong place!

Good progress, keep it up...
I know what you mean about the rear lights, but I am on a budget for this build. Plus when I throw on a pair of reflectors, which I found on the bay tonight, hopefully I can maintain the inspiration of the original.

Thanks for the tip on the wheels, I thought they looked quite good up there!!!!!!
Old 10th May 2016, 10:27

Hi folks,

Not been on for a while, the weather turned cold and wet again in Belfast. Then i had to have a weekend off for some drinking commitments in Twickenham. Anyway back on the job and got some good work done at the weekend.

Got both sides of the rear end bonded, riveted and first skim of filler on. And then got the boot lid lined up and fitted. Need to get the remote lock sorted but that can wait for now.

Forecast is good for the latter half of the week and the weekend so hopefully get plenty done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160506_143407.jpg (92.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 20160506_192924.jpg (85.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 20160506_192533.jpg (94.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 20160506_192542.jpg (94.0 KB, 70 views)
Old 10th May 2016, 18:33

Coming on. BTW I am told that filler absorbs water, so if it is out in the rain you will need to make sure it has had a chance to dry off before painting.

Not completely convinced filler does actually absorb water though.
Old 10th May 2016, 18:39

molleur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Coming on. BTW I am told that filler absorbs water, so if it is out in the rain you will need to make sure it has had a chance to dry off before painting.

It most assuredly does absorb moisture if it is polyester based. Even polyester
gel coats are semi-permeable. to some extent.
Old 10th May 2016, 20:29

Smile

Quote:

Thanks for the encouragement and the tip. I had heard somewhere it absorbed moisture so will make sure it is good and dry and then get some primer on.
Old 10th May 2016, 20:36

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by molleur View Post
It most assuredly does absorb moisture if it is polyester based. Even polyester
gel coats are semi-permeable. to some extent.
Polyester!!!!!! I thought cheap 70''s suits were made of polyester. Just nipping to the garage to check my tin of filler............... Yup, sure as eggs is eggs, UPOL easy sanding POLYESTER filler. Damn!! That could cause problems or at least slow me down. We will have to choose extremely carefully when I do filling.

Cheers for the tips boys.
Old 10th May 2016, 20:55

Today's daft question - when you are fitting the fuel hose flange and then the external vintage style fuel cap, do you need longer filler neck and overflow hoses, or can you get away with adjusting what is already there? Cheers.
Old 10th May 2016, 21:13

jones is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306craig View Post
Today's daft question - when you are fitting the fuel hose flange and then the external vintage style fuel cap, do you need longer filler neck and overflow hoses, or can you get away with adjusting what is already there? Cheers.
Take a look at my the ad there is a picture of how I did it, not necessarily saying the way I did it was the right way but it works for me.

To clarify, I used an old original enots fuel cap that screwed onto an alloy flange from car builder solutions. So maybe different if you are reusing the mazda neck.

Good luck
Old 10th May 2016, 21:28

Quote:
Polyester!!!!!! I thought cheap 70''s suits were made of polyester. Just nipping to the garage to check my tin of filler............... Yup, sure as eggs is eggs, UPOL easy sanding POLYESTER filler. Damn!! That could cause problems or at least slow me down. We will have to choose extremely carefully when I do filling.

Cheers for the tips boys.
You should be okay if it is dried out, low setting heat gun assist or a hair dryer.
Just don't get it too hot! It may crack.

There is a reason not to use copious thickness of poly based filler. Very light skim coats only.
Old 10th May 2016, 21:50

Agreed. The wise advice is to limit the thickness of polyester filler to a few mm. If you need to build up more use chopped strand filler with a polyester skim.
Old 10th May 2016, 22:32

Quote:
Agreed. The wise advice is to limit the thickness of polyester filler to a few mm. If you need to build up more use chopped strand filler with a polyester skim.
Exactly, thanks for clarifying..
Old 11th May 2016, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones View Post
Take a look at my the ad there is a picture of how I did it, not necessarily saying the way I did it was the right way but it works for me.

To clarify, I used an old original enots fuel cap that screwed onto an alloy flange from car builder solutions. So maybe different if you are reusing the mazda neck.

Good luck
Thanks Jonesy. Love the fuel cap job you did, and love some of the Enots fuel caps available. To be honest as this build is on a (rapidly expanding) budget i was looking at reusing the original fuel neck and cap, and then getting one of the fake fuel caps that then go over the orginal fuel caps and attach with grub screws. Fairly cheap and nasty i know, but as i say cheaper. We will have to see though, i do like the Enots caps and flange set up. Cheers for the tips.
Old 11th May 2016, 13:27

A big thanks to Molleur & Landmann for the tips on filler. I have to admit i had never heard of chopped strand filler, however i am off to find some!!! Cheers guys.
Old 11th May 2016, 14:12

jones is on a distinguished road

I too was on a budget and just was lucky on some of timing of my purchases I guess.

The benefit of chop strand is that it flexes a little, that will help with the bridge between metal and fibreglass body as well as reinforcing the join. Filler does only that, put on to thickly you will get stress cracks later on, probably after the beautiful paint job is complete.

Another tip suggestion which I wish I had done upon reflection is a thin layer of glass fibre matt bridging windscreen frame to kit body. I will be OK as I used chop strand and skimmed with filler for final surface only.
Old 11th May 2016, 14:59

Depending on the area I'm working, I'll use a single layer of chopped strand matt over any thickly built up areas of chopped strand filler as well.
Old 11th May 2016, 15:20

Quote:
A big thanks to Molleur & Landmann for the tips on filler. I have to admit i had never heard of chopped strand filler, however i am off to find some!!! Cheers guys.
You will even find it in Halfords, upol B I think in blue tins. Another tip, you can dilute filler with fibreglass resin to spread it more smoothly. It avoids the ice cream look you posted before and takes time off sanding.