Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds

Phantom GTR/Vortex Builds In a Vortex with your Phantom build? Share your build experiences here.

Old 20th November 2007, 13:42
Kit Car Dreamer

Nathan2504 is on a distinguished road
Default New GTR builder in Nottingham

Hiya all.

I have seen the pics from your last meet and you all have some truly amazing looking cars. I am considering a Vortex build, I have not done a kit car before but I have loads of time on my hands and I love to look of this car. I am going to see Chris this Saturday and try to make my mind up once and for all!

I have my donor. A 1997 Rover 827Sli, its got quite high mileage but seems to be in good nick. I have done 3K in the last 3 months and all I can find wrong was a few minor electrical problems (now sorted) and one wheel bearing starting to go. Not bad for 400quid, even the air con works.

Any advice on things to keep my eye out for with these cars would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I start stripping her down in January (this was my original plan as that’s when T&T runs out) where would be the best place to start.

If I do start my build, I look forward to meeting some of you at some point.
Available from eBay
Old 20th November 2007, 22:54
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Hi Nathan,

welcome on board.

Couldn't say what to look out for on the 827 as I only drove mine back from where I bought it and started stripping it down straight away.

Let us know how you get on on Saturday. It would be great to get a few more Phantoms on the road. I am obviously a bit biased but as you say they are just a beautiful looking car.
Old 25th November 2007, 15:25
Enthusiast

ricola is on a distinguished road

Did you make your mind up then?
Old 25th November 2007, 17:40
Kit Car Dreamer

Chris was a little busy. We are meeting next Saturday instead.
Old 25th November 2007, 22:45
Enthusiast

kenmorton is on a distinguished road

Marketing was never a strong point!
Just noticed that the web site still has the old address and telephone number - how are potential customers supposed to get in touch?
Old 26th November 2007, 06:30
Kit Car Dreamer

yea! I actually got the 01926 number from this forum, after trying the number on the website numerous times.

One of many set backs, it took me 3 weeks to get registered on this forum too!
Old 26th November 2007, 06:41
Kit Car Dreamer

Ricola: I like your website. Thats a very well documented rebuild you did on the Phantom.

I missed you guys at Stoneleigh, had a family emergency. However I did meet one Phantom builder, at the Donnington Kitcar show. Unforunatly I have forgotten the name, but he said he doesn't use this forum.
Old 26th November 2007, 13:20
Enthusiast

I'm guessing it was the light purple car you saw? I was there but just for the sunday morning, they put me by the entrance :-)

I'm only down the road from Chris so if you want to see mine at the same time give me a shout as I should be about (07789221502)

Rich
Old 26th November 2007, 18:09
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

Things on the rover to look out for:

Rattley Tappets, much easier to adjust before you put it in the phantom chassis.
Rear calipers can seize easily.
Coolant header tanks crack around the seam

Cant think of a lot else at the mo, which year rover is it, the MK2 had some extra faults the MK1 didnt.

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Phantoms.
Im about 5 mins down the road from Chris as well, however my car is in storage at the moment.
Old 4th December 2007, 18:47
Kit Car Dreamer

Thank you to Eddy and Rich, who had the time to see me on Saturday. Sorry for the sharp exit, it was the temp that dropped a bit too quickly. Hope you sorted out those starting problems.

I have a few quick questions. Don't go out of your way to get this information for me, but if you happen to have it to hand it would be of great help. I am worried about the lack of head room in the car. Can you tell me what the approximate internal height is, so I can start calculating possible seating options? Also, what is the internal width of the space behind the seats? I'm just wondering if my golf clubs will fit (I need 125cm).

My main concern is the Phantom that Chris demonstrated to me only had "less-than-an-inch" clearance from the top of my head to the roof-lining. This means I would not be able to wear a crash helmet, hence attend any track days in it. I am wondering just how low you could mount a seat to free up more space. I have just tried to measure my height while seated (looks quite funny!) and I need around 100cm to the top of my head, but then an additional 10cm for helmet and anti-head-banging-on-roof-clearance.

Cheers guys! Be in touch soon.
Old 4th December 2007, 20:07
Enthusiast

Take this with a pinch of salt as mine was the first body and the mould has since been modified...
Width behind seats at base is 123cm, but both sides get wider as you go higher so I'm pretty sure your clubs would fit.
Very hard to measure headroom as this will be very dependent on seats, I'm 6'2" and I've managed to get a comfortable amount of space above my head, not sure if it is enough for a helmet though.
Rich
Old 5th December 2007, 12:35
Enthusiast

EddyP is on a distinguished road

IIRC Norman has fitted a set of golf clubs into the back of one before, so they will go.
As for the head room, I know that chris has his seats lifted slightly, on spacers to improve the angle of them. I have the same seats as Chris, and have plenty of head room, mine are on normal runners, with no spacers.
And I know that Chris has driven one of the earlier red cars on a track whilst wearing a helmet, so you should be ok.
You're welcome to come and try to sit in mine with a helmet on if you wish.