Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 17th March 2012, 08:11

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road
Default 17 Mar - What are you doing this weekend?

I have a really busy weekend but unfortunately not a lot of it will be spent working on the car.

I might try and get the engine timing set, a fan belt on and some of the water hoses fitted. If I can get a new dizzy cap and leads then I will put new plugs in too.
Available from eBay
Old 17th March 2012, 09:57

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Polishing, starting to clean some of the over-spray from the engine and then after i come back from a b-day party full of 3 & 4yr olds, i'm going for a blat before it gets dark to get over it
Old 17th March 2012, 12:05

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

JUST GOT BACK FROM THE WORKSHOP ....Had big plans to do some work on my Teardrop Trailer this weekend , but can't get enthused at moment !

So knackered - Jennette and Sam have just jetted off to Gran Canaria for a weeks holiday , second holiday I have missed due to workload in the last 18 months....so a quiet weekend for me ......
Old 17th March 2012, 12:46

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

My original plans of working the chassis have been scotched due to the weather (Who would build a car . . .Outside . . . In the North West of Rainy England eh )
... so I've done some sorting in the store shed, finished assembling the front suspension units and have made a start on the rears.

I currently have one rotoflex drive shaft built up, new doughnuts and universal joints fitted and installed in it's vertical link. (The old ones just about disintegrated when I was pressing them out!) and now building the brake unit up.

With other commitments I reckon I'll get one done today and the other tomorrow so all four corners will be refreshed.Things will accelerate once I get the chassis finished.
Old 17th March 2012, 13:35

Well, I got the carb cleaned up and moving freely and fitted the oil filter.

When I write it down it doesn't look a lot. Cleaned up the metal bits of the water piping but need to get new rubber. Ordered a fan belt, HT leads and half a dozen spark plugs but won't be able to pick them up until next weekend.

Might try and pick up an electric fuel pump and a battery this afternoon when looking for rubber pipes.
Old 17th March 2012, 18:55

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

I got the engine and gearbox back in my chassis and I started on modding the bulkhead. Recessing for the wheels, welding up the holes and then cleaning and painting it! Just put the first coat of chassis black on it, so came in to get a beer.

Went to see Gary this morning and saw the built up Spyder as well, it's nice. Can't wait to get mine on the road now!!

Mr T - I mentioned the tonneau and he is going to give the trimmer a rocket up the perverbial! He apologises!!

Last edited by tlrtone; 17th March 2012 at 19:17.. Reason: Changed 'cup of coffee' for 'a beer'
Old 17th March 2012, 19:05

Ooo - i might paint chassis black over what i have POR15'd. That will give me something to do in the morning before the normal day commences.
Old 17th March 2012, 20:39

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtone View Post
Mr T - I mentioned the tonneau and he is going to give the trimmer a rocket up the perverbial! He apologises!!
Cheers Tone, the squeaky wheel gets the oil...
Old 18th March 2012, 07:34

Well I spent a short while using my amazing graphic skills to adjust the pictures of the G46 to see what it would look like with a more cab back stance.

I am sure you will want to congratulate me on the quality of the MS Paint editing but hopefully you can see past that to the image I was aiming at.

Option 1 - Keep it standard - Most likely option at this point
Option 2 - Cab back and longer bonnet - Difficult to curve the rear arches nicely and not sure how easy to extend the bonnet piece
Option 3 - Cab back and extra section between bonnet and cab - Still hassle with the rear wings but possibly easier at the front.

Any views?

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3
Old 18th March 2012, 07:38

For me option 2 strikes the best balance. The longer doors make it look sleeker imho.
Old 18th March 2012, 08:41

garyh is on a distinguished road

Can you paint door the same colour, it would help...Garyh
Old 18th March 2012, 09:07

I could make the doors longer in option 3 as well. I will have a go at colouring in the doors later if that helps.

I am thinking more about the difficulty of option 2 compared to option 3.

Is it easier to stretch the bonnet or stick a section in between the bonnet and the door?
Old 18th March 2012, 10:30

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Hey

For me lengthening the doors has left the back too short, Stock looks best re the length of the bonnet verses rlength of rear.
Build it, drive it, enjoy it...
Pops
Old 18th March 2012, 11:32

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default G46 images

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Well I spent a short while using my amazing graphic skills to adjust the pictures of the G46 to see what it would look like with a more cab back stance.

I am sure you will want to congratulate me on the quality of the MS Paint editing but hopefully you can see past that to the image I was aiming at.

Option 1 - Keep it standard - Most likely option at this point
Option 2 - Cab back and longer bonnet - Difficult to curve the rear arches nicely and not sure how easy to extend the bonnet piece
Option 3 - Cab back and extra section between bonnet and cab - Still hassle with the rear wings but possibly easier at the front.

Any views?

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3
WCA

Our car will look more like option 3 on your graphics, but with the bonnet shut lines gone and using the standard width door. Bonnet to be cut in after (not sure how yet)

I think your sketches show the doors to far back the maximum you can pull them back is 200mm as the two forward (not sure what they are called) torsion bars then get in the way of the floor and your drivers seat would be off centre and only about 300mm wide. This also leaves the head fairing a little longer as it is a bit foreshortened in your sketch.

We are defiantly cutting the body next week and will post photos soon.
Old 18th March 2012, 11:35

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
I could make the doors longer in option 3 as well. I will have a go at colouring in the doors later if that helps.

I am thinking more about the difficulty of option 2 compared to option 3.

Is it easier to stretch the bonnet or stick a section in between the bonnet and the door?
We are going down the route of lengthening the bulkhead rather than extending the bonnet, however you longer bonnet looks better with the shut lines extended.
Old 18th March 2012, 20:17

davecymru is on a distinguished road

At 4 0'clock today the sun finally came out and after a day of official mothers day duties, i finally escaped for an hr in the Spyder!

To all you lot who are still building and may be starting to flag, or getting frustrated, let me tell you that it's REALLY worth it when it's done!
I only did a 40 min 'round the block' to test my replacement gearbox and speedo and it was ACE!

There are a few things being added to the "tinker list" as a result, but the fact that a police van followed me for 5 mins and _didn't_ pull me over means that tonight I'm a very happy boy
Old 18th March 2012, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post

There are a few things being added to the "tinker list" as a result, but the fact that a police van followed me for 5 mins and _didn't_ pull me over means that tonight I'm a very happy boy
Must've been nearing the end of their shift. I'd have pulled you over anyway, just for a nosey. Oh, and to check all your documents were in order of course...