Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 14th July 2015, 19:12

euclid223 is on a distinguished road
Default Build Stand

Hi,

I've recently taken delivery of a chassis for a Roadrunner SR2 ( my first kit ). I'm looking forward to getting started on it, but before I do I want to get it up on a build stand with castors.

Can anyone recommend a good pattern for a build stand or even just provide some hints and tips? I don't have a welder or any experience welding. I'm hoping you can make a decent one out of wood?

Cheers
Dave
Available from eBay
Old 14th July 2015, 20:48

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

Someone on here used the under carriage from 2 shopping trolleys, personally I'd get some 6 inch swivel castor wheels and some 3x3 fence posts if it has to be out of wood, are you going to do a build thread on here? Ed
Old 15th July 2015, 07:47

Thanks. I ended up getting pointed to the Locost USA forums last night and some threads there on build tables.

I think I'm gonna build a 4' x 10' workbench on locking wheels with a storage shelf underneath. Either with a MDF or 18mm ply worktop and cross-braced legs.

I already started a build diary at http://davessr2roadrunnerbuild.wordpress.com/. I'll happily start a build thread to go with it too though

PS I'm going to edit that last post... As my "fuel removal technique" is a newbie illustration of most things you shouldn't do

Last edited by euclid223; 15th July 2015 at 07:50..
Old 15th July 2015, 17:52

Now that's a comprehensive build diary, you should start a thread on here and just post a link each time you update.
I spotted the blue shelving units in your garage, cut in half height ways with some castors attached would make a good stand, I think if I where building a similar car i would consider a purpose built lift/table maybe to support the frame/chassis and let the wheels dangle, similar to a motorbike lift, this would facilitate the car being easily moved to the very corner of the garage when not in use, your wooden table sounds like a knee saver though, how would you get it off once built?
like this but custom for the chassis.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...709360&alt=web http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...941493&alt=web
4 of these would be useful.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...801210&alt=web
This type is new to me, I can see its uses.ed

Last edited by a big scary monster; 15th July 2015 at 18:14..
Old 16th July 2015, 06:00

Yeah... My wife is normally actively disinterested in anything to do with the car. Soon as I suggested putting it on a table with wheels she's massively interested. Can't wait until it's possible to roll it out the way.

I'm thinking I can use the engine winch to get the car on and off. Should be easy enough when it's just a chassis. That idea scares me once the engine is in though
Old 16th July 2015, 16:22

WCA world class accident is an active member on the tribute section mainly his build thread for his z300 has a few pictures of his very long wooden wheel ramps, he built them to get under his car but also I believe to compensate for the slope of his drive and to get the car up higher as he had a very smashed ankle at the time, message him he will send you pictures if you like, 2 of the motorbike stands in my links would be useful but costly. Ed
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:36

Took me a little while to get started, but I adapted a workbench pattern and added some wheels to it

https://davessr2roadrunnerbuild.word...a-build-stand/
Old 3rd September 2015, 06:37

I like the storage tray underneath idea, how long will it be before you have to drill a hole in the top to access something? Is it very sturdy left to right if you give it some abuse? Just wondering whether a diagonal brace on the short side may be an idea. Especially with children around? Once you have 2 of them made I can see it not been that bad to get the finished car off. Ed
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:02

garyh is on a distinguished road

Looks great, how do you get the car off once fitted?
Old 4th September 2015, 07:21

It seems pretty sturdy left to right so far. I haven't noticed the slightest bit of play in it. That was before the worktop went on too. Diagonal cross braces ain't a bad idea before the weight increases thoigh (for the 30 min effort). Like you say... Kids around and all.

Big test will be when the engine and gearbox go in. Assuming it all holds up, my winch will do from 500kg to 2 ton with the arm at different extensions. I'm thinking 4 straps out in a square to get it down (plus a helper) and take the rollcage off. Maybe a bit of ballast where the seats are.

Should have better control of keeping it flat then
Old 4th September 2015, 19:19

Only saying about the brace as quite literally a belt and braces approach, after my friends 3 year old tried to get on his freshly restored 60's lambretta whilst on its stand and over went the whole thing. Especially with a cool race car like yours your kids will have all their mates in drooling.