Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 22nd October 2012, 09:38

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Cordite Doors

I've got a bee in my bonnet at present about doors and a future stance on their inclusion/exclusion on the range. Whilst fitting them to the demonstrator Cordite, I have been thinking about the current situation of 'Spyder doesn't have Doors but Cordite does' and of the sales since June, how some Spyder builders have requested Doors and other Cordite builders have mentioned going doorless.

I'd be interested in your views as to the possible stance of supplying both Spyder and Cordite without doors as standard and having them available as an option to both. I'm also thinking of supplying the 'glass' part of the door option as an outer skin, larger than the prospective void, and a separate inner structure for the builder to bond on once the skin has been cut to fit the hole, cut into a previously complete shell from a template. This way the doors will, by default, correctly fit the void and negate the shape changes caused by minor variations from car to car.

Thoughts Gents
Available from eBay
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:04

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I don't know the complexities but I would defiantly say you should have doors as an option. For me, no doors = no sale.

I like the idea of the outer panel separate from the inner. If you go for that option the door/no door debate kind of goes away.

1) If they want no doors then they glass the panel flush into the body work.

2) If they want doors then they make the panel fit the door whole with a nice even gap and bond in the separate inner panel to make it a door.

Everyone happy.

Is the side curve of the Cordite and the Sammio the same? If it is, or near enough, you could get away with the same panel for both and suddenly you have door/no door for Sammio / Cordite.

I know you are not doing the G46 but it is probably worth doing for the G46 too as the doors need 'tweaking' on that too at the moment.
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:17

Hi WCA, This is exactly what I was getting at. There's no way I would want to dictate a 'no doors' policy. With this stance, both Spyder and Cordite bodies would be supplied complete for both options so there would be no seams to fill if the doorless option was the intent but the door hole only cut (To template) if the doors were wanted. The outer skin would be marked through the newly cut void and made to exactly fit the hole.

For a production point of view, it means I could have 'ready to ship' bodies for both marques and door skin panels fabricated from the side parts of the same mould that the body came from. The only shipped difference would be an internal door structure and the frames (And I'm even thinking of standardising the frame as a doored one with a bolt in bar to give side support if no doors were wanted.)

Last edited by AndyP57; 22nd October 2012 at 10:21..
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:30

garyh is on a distinguished road

Keep it simple. That sounds like good idea. Andy do you have time to update us on all of your projects? please.
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:48

Paul D is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy,

Based on what you appear to be suggesting, would it then be possible then to 'retro-fit' doors to a Spyder that has been mostly built - but not yet painted?

Obviously modifying the metal frame inside the plywood sides would be a challenge! I have long regretted that we did not go for making up doors as on Barry May's car.

Paul.
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:56

I would believe so. With the prospect of a convertible frame, the brace strut could be removed and the door void cut out with a new door fitted into it. Bear in mind that this is at present a concept that I'll be looking at over the winter. Currently provided frames would need a lot of modification to fit the new concept(But knowing the ingenuity of some builders, not impossible)
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:23

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

The adaptable frame approach and using a template to cut the door skin directly from the body after it's bonded to the chassis sounds like an excellent solution. As you've already picked up, it'll reduce your production cost and complexity and leave the decision to the builder to have no doors, two doors or even one door, which is something I'd considered to give it a Le Mans look.

I did ask Gary J about doors when I ordered my kit in June 2011, but I have to say, I'm perfectly happy without them. My car is only 30" from ground level to cockpit edge so it's easy to climb over the side, while I've recently boarded a Triumph Spitfire and a Lotus Elise, both of which had doors, and found them harder to get into than my door free Spyder.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Old 23rd October 2012, 01:15

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Andy certainly a good idea to help cut down on your stock levels, yet still offering the choice. I want a door or two on mine!!!!
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:33

MoriniMan is on a distinguished road

I'm planning on half doors rather than full. These can be conventionally end hinged, or bottom hinged to drop down.
Old 23rd October 2012, 21:52

Slip Hazzard is on a distinguished road

From my experience during the Ginetta years doors were always a pain as the fibreglass body flexed and altered the fit - of course they were lightweight racing versions, it may be different in your cars.
Any way - no doors for me please Andy.
I would like a couple of handy lockable lockers to stow spare pants etc.
Slip.
Old 24th October 2012, 00:19

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Hazzard View Post
I would like a couple of handy lockable lockers to stow spare pants etc.
Slip.
Is that in case you 'slip yourself' ????
Old 24th October 2012, 06:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyman View Post
Is that in case you 'slip yourself' ????
No, I always go SAS - it was for the use of my glamorous passengers.
Old 24th October 2012, 06:41

....or is paratrooper? As Daisy Duke's favourite uncle I have to always be ready for action....
Old 27th October 2012, 09:00

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road
Default No doors G46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
The adaptable frame approach and using a template to cut the door skin directly from the body after it's bonded to the chassis sounds like an excellent solution. As you've already picked up, it'll reduce your production cost and complexity and leave the decision to the builder to have no doors, two doors or even one door, which is something I'd considered to give it a Le Mans look.

I did ask Gary J about doors when I ordered my kit in June 2011, but I have to say, I'm perfectly happy without them. My car is only 30" from ground level to cockpit edge so it's easy to climb over the side, while I've recently boarded a Triumph Spitfire and a Lotus Elise, both of which had doors, and found them harder to get into than my door free Spyder.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

We are not going to have doors on the G46 and the cockpit edge is 810 mm above GL (approx 32 inches) a bit of a leap but by the time the car is set up they will be nearer 760 mm ( approx 30 inches)

But would like side screens!!!!!!!!!!!!

and as said earlier jumping over is easier to get out of than a cobra 289 with doors
Old 27th October 2012, 09:36

I rather like the wrap-round sidescreens look too. It'd make it almost impossible to climb aboard without damaging them with no doors though. Unless they're hinged so you can swing them out of the way. Hmm...
Old 27th October 2012, 09:48

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of clip in side screens for mine but with doors.

Possibly two different designs of side screens. A low one for cruising and then a full height one for when I work out how to do the hood.

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 27th October 2012 at 09:51..
Old 27th October 2012, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I rather like the wrap-round sidescreens look too. It'd make it almost impossible to climb aboard without damaging them with no doors though. Unless they're hinged so you can swing them out of the way. Hmm...
Or at the risk of adding complication, retractable, using the mechanicals from the donor doors?
Old 27th October 2012, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP57 View Post
Or at the risk of adding complication, retractable, using the mechanicals from the donor doors?
Now, there's a challenge. Didn't BMW put a drop down door mechanism on one of its sports cars? Should be a pretty straightforward mod for the Cordite.

Oh yes, here's one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXp2CnPq-os
Old 27th October 2012, 10:26

And a slightly more interesting video of the Z1 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYZ7lAk-BdQ

Because of Clarkson's intelligent and amusing musings, of course...
Old 31st October 2012, 14:39

stig mills is on a distinguished road

I have a pair of Cordite doors if anyone wishes to have a go at retro fitting them.
£50 will do plus post or collected from Mansfield.