Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 16th September 2008, 13:31
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road
Default Track (airfield) Day

I'm planning to attend a day at Keevil on the 27th October, and then maybe another shortly afterwards on the 10th Nov' at Colerne (with Ken Robson - which kit yellow car owner), if the 27th goes without issue.

Anyone else in the SW fancy either event?

http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/calendar-2008.pdf
Available from eBay
Old 16th September 2008, 19:45
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

Hi John.

I'm looking at going to Woodbridge.

http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/tr...trackdays.html
Old 16th September 2008, 22:03
Enthusiast

That should be good. Shame it's a bit too far, to be worthwhile for me.
Old 24th September 2008, 09:22
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

This date (27th Oct) is working out to be a good target date for me.

I am hoping to have the GRP completed by the previous week but I am expecting a weeks slippage, I lost two weeks sorting out an engine sensor fault.

I may drop in and meet up anyway as its not too far for me and I may even have a car on the trailer if they will let me on the track on the day.

'Tash is usually pretty good if its not over subscribed for the day.

It would also be good to see the yellow peril again if the 27th proves a 'week too far' for the body.

JohnC
Old 24th September 2008, 13:15
Enthusiast

I've booked the 27th, but not the 10th yet. I'm hoping the 27th will be a good laugh, as presently it's looking likely it'll be me and 4 friends going. I'm the only one in a kit car, the other 4 consist of 3 Corrados (between 200 and 270bhp), and 1 GT4-WRC (circa 300bhp). I'm actually a little worried I might get a spanking, but we'll see!

John - Dave Gallop might pop along to Keevil, to see how my car goes. As it's the first 5EXI where TD have had complete freedom on the front and rear geometry, I think they are keen to see the effect.
Old 30th September 2008, 20:44

KrazyKen is on a distinguished road
Default Track Day Heaven

Hi Guys

I have finally joined the forum to share and receive our thoughts. I am a big fan of track days (look out for the next edition of Complete Kit Car) and have done quite a few over the years. Of the local (to Bristol) airfield track days I rate Colerne as the best due to its smooth surface and fast flowing layout. A group of us from the Bristol Pegasus Motor Club (BPMC) are planning to go there on the 10th November through Motorsport Events.

I know that John Dry is considering going it would be great if a few more could join the party.
Old 30th September 2008, 21:29
Enthusiast

Hi Ken.

Would love to go. But it's a bit of a trip in the car, especially in November. Though the weather could not be any worse than the summer.
Old 9th October 2008, 16:22

Default Track Day at Colerne 10th Nov confirmed

Hi All

Just to let you know that the Track Day on 10th November at Colerne through www.motorsport-events.co.uk is in full swing and booking up fast. There will be a number of Marlins there and a few from the Bristol Pegasus Motor Club. The Marlin factory are also considering using it as a test session for the developments to next years races cars.........so watch this space.

Ken
Old 16th October 2008, 20:30

Hi Guys

Just to let you know that I have confirmed and paid my booking for Keevil on the 27th and Colerne on 10th Nov today. Don't forget the Stroke Assocaiation day at Castle Combe on the 25th October.

Cheers

Ken
Old 17th October 2008, 06:58
Enthusiast

I bit short notice due to trying to predict the weather.

I'm going to Woodbridge, Suffolk, airfiled tomorrow in the Marlin.

http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/tr...kdays.html#oct
Old 17th October 2008, 12:53
Enthusiast

Ken,

Good to learn you'll also be at Keevil - should serve to further spice up, what is looking to be an interesting day.

From my friends / friends of friends, we've assembled the following:

911 GT3-RS
VX220
Nissan Primera GTe (he he)
Corrado 1.8turbo (ought to book soon)
GT4-WRC (will be booking next week, once a new rear diff has been sucessfully fitted)

The ones to watch will be the 911 (obviously), and the GT4 (this will suprise I suspect).

Here's to good weather!

John.
Old 18th October 2008, 16:05
Kit Car Dreamer

Mr|Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Suspicious character

My friend Adam was at the Woodbridge motorshow today and sent me this via MMS;

Old 18th October 2008, 18:23
Enthusiast

Hi mate.

Yep meet your friend and he mention he knew someone building one. What a small world.

Good day for testing the car. Looks like I got some engine damage though.

Weather was perfect. What a great day.

Possibly big ends/pistons. Winter project!
Old 26th October 2008, 08:50
Enthusiast

eaa53 is on a distinguished road

I have not got a start date for my new job so its looking good for me to attend and watch.

I have stalled on the body fitting and I need the special front clam fitting and the man that will do that lives close to Keevil so can visit the track day and the GRP delivery man at the same time, sound like a plan.

What is the weather prediction?

My checks are looking as if this current rain front will pass over for a nice day to follow.... good planning if it happens...

JohnC
Old 26th October 2008, 14:02
Enthusiast

John - If you take tenner (for MSE) and a lid, subject to car reliability I'll take you for a few laps.

Weather - good am, poor pm. I guess I'll find out how secure the 5exi tent is at 100+.
Old 28th October 2008, 21:23
Enthusiast

Well it wasn't quite the day I'd hoped for.......

However I still got plenty of track time, both as a driver and a passenger - I'm wearing the white helmet in the Celica GT4.

http://eventpictures.fotopic.net/c1602292_1.html

As for the car, here is the story (pasted from a honda engine forum, as I'm lazy!).

"The story of the problem, is as follows:

This morning I starting driving to my local track. I met my friend on my way, and pulled alongside his car.... at this point my car cut out. Naturally I assumed this was a totally freak occurrence so tried to restart the car, and nothing happened. Given the car cut out all of a sudden, I thought the first thing to check was fuses / relays. Sadly all the fuses and relays were fine.

I then lifted the engine cover, and started checking sensor plugs for moisture, or damage, and they were fine. I checked for power at sensors, coils, and found there to be no problem at all.

Fortunately I had my laptop with me, so I plugged that into to the ecu to check the sensor values (with the engine not running) were sensible, and they were.

So again I tried to crank the engine, and it did eventually fire, but ran exceptionally rough and there was clearly an excessive amount of fuel being injected, going on the vapourised fuel being pumped out of the exhaust.

I concluded I wasn't going to solve the issue at the side of the road, and with attendance at the track being my priority, I got the car recovered to my home, and I went to the track.

On returning from the track, I thought for interest's sake that I would try and fire the engine.... it fired up first time and ran like the sewing machine it normally is. So I left the engine running, and it warmed up fine, and appeared very happy. Then all of a sudden, like when I was meeting my friend earlier in the day, the engine died.

Again I tried to crank the engine but nothing happened other than lots of fuel vapour came from the exhaust pipes, and engine refused to start.

When I got the engine started this evening it was my intention to get my laptop and log the ECU activity, but sadly I couldn't as the engine died at the very time I was about to collect a laptop.

What I have been able to establish from K-pro, is that the tps signal seems fine (progressive response with throttle opening), and all the sensors are giving sensible figures to ECU."
Old 28th October 2008, 21:38
Enthusiast

John. Been there on the tow truck a few couple of times now. Know how you feel.

At least it's a warm ride home in the truck!
Old 29th October 2008, 05:45
Enthusiast

I have found the problem, but do not know what was causing it. The reason I say was, rather than is, is that the fault has now gone, and hasn't yet come back. :?

What I established was that injector 1 was seeing 12v as soon as the ecu was switched on, so even during the pump prime, injector 1 was at 100% duty.

Following discovery of the injector being at 100% constantly, I checked the ecu for any stray wires touching pins, and could see no evidence of this. I did in the process of checking the plugs, mildly disturb the ecu - a couple of gentle knocks with my hands (the ecu is bolted to the chassic).

Having concluded something was not quite right, and I was powerless (it seemed) to do anything about it, just out of pure curiousity I started the engine before heading indoors. Much to my surprise the engine ran perfectly , and continued to do so for 15 minutes, by which time I'd had enough of watching the engine run, so turned it off.

Hopefully if I try the car tomorrow, it will run like normal. We will see......
Old 5th November 2008, 20:21

I too ended up on the back of a tow truck but thankfully after the track day. My clutch cable snapped on the way home. I picked up a new one from Marlin today and will be fitting with Dave on saturday ready for Colerne on Monday.

Is anyone else going???

Ken
Old 5th November 2008, 20:37
Enthusiast

I'm booked... I hope my ecu doesn't have another moment! I'm using a trailer for this track day, just in case I break something on track.