Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 2nd November 2012, 09:06

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Stop Start

Info for all.

On Wednesday, my son and I made the long round trip to Poole and collected all the jigs, templates and moulds for the Sammio range (Not the G46, that's Gaz' area) and brought them back to Preston so no fabrication is now scheduled to be done in the South West.

We've managed to engineer a slow down in production so that we can regroup, check and repair moulds where necessary and make modifications as muted on this forum in other threads. The frames will be rejigged and test fitted onto a factory specification 'mule' chassis and undergo a minor redesign to accommodate the optional door programme.

An immediate priority is going to be to make up any shortfalls for my customers (Since 2nd June) and those others already promised (Donnysoutherner, I'll be PM you soon). Once set up in the new environment, I will be putting in place some rigorous quality processes, including check lists, final check fit to the mule chassis and I trust current and future customers will accept that this may take a little time to achieve. For the time being, the lead time for Spyder will be around 12 weeks (Though hopefully we'll improve on that) and Cordite will stop until the door / frame mods are done.

The current plan is to aim for a full relaunch at Stoneleigh 2013 where we should have representative cars for the entire range and a 'Non-club' area in the club area for a Sammio meet, extending into the evening with possibly a BBQ or something. (Any musicians amongst you, feel free to bring along your banjolele)

I'll be a bit quiet for a couple of weeks now as I'm headed off to get some sun but as things move on, I'll be posting progress here.
Available from eBay
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:00

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

All sounds very sensible for the long-term success of the marque. I wish you the best of luck. I do find myself thinking, "When I build the next one, I'll do x, y and z".
Have a good holiday, I expect it is much deserved.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:12

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Enjoy your holiday Andy. When you get back, the main area that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet that could do with looking at is the bonnet fit.

On the Lancia style bonnet the nose 'cone' isn't actually straight, but is further away from the front cross-member on the nearside than the offside, which has implications when making a bracket. I'll post a picture of what I mean once I've refitted my bonnet.

It'd also be nice if the back edge of the bonnet more or less matched the line of the body. Mine was a mile out and still needs work to get it right after about forty hours of fettling
Old 6th November 2012, 21:31

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Andy - I've already covered a number of ideas with you via PMs.
But here are a few extra thoughts if you are planning to make some changes.

The following is taken from the original Cordite development thread...

Quote:
... the bulkhead ... We are moulding it without a sunken battery tray but all bulkheads will be supplied with one bonded in place ... by fitting afterwards we don't need to create two bulkheads ( RHD and LHD )... so LHD conversion is very straightforward...
Even if it is only offered as an optional extra, a "drop in" battery box would be useful.

The only other change I would make to the fibreglass parts would be the front foot wells.
I've already got the plywood to follow the template you used on the Demonstrator.
But ideally, this is the shape the fibre glass part should be supplied like.

If possible the frame work also needs some fine tuning to replicate the Spitfire bodywork:
- Add steering column mounting points.
- Provide space in the frame for the steering column to be connected.
( I've seen a "kink" in your frame, but DonnySoutherner & I don't have this is our frames. )
- Provide a bigger gap between the pedal mounting plate and the bottom of the frame.
( My pedals currently hit the front foot well, so I need to make some adjustments. )
- Provide some means of mounting the silencers (single or double) at the rear of the car.

I think you are doing the right thing by taking stock of what you have.
I am sure by the re-launch you will have turned a good kit into a great one.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 6th November 2012, 21:34

Paul L is on a distinguished road

PS

I keep forgetting to say I have a Spitfire 1500 manual that has chassis dimensions in it.
Let me know if you want me to send you a copy of it if it would be of any use.

Obviously the photo above doesn't show these as they are further down the page.
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:27

Thanks Paul. I've now got full manufacturers manuals for all our donors and frames will be made to the dimensions in them.

I've been very quiet here for a few weeks, not only as I've been away for two of them but there's a lot going on behind the scenes. A bit early to publish details but Gaz and I have some interesting ideas up our sleeves which should come to fruition for a relaunch in the Spring at Stoneleigh. To accommodate that, we are looking to move to a bigger unit (again) where we will have space to continue production of the current cars and develop the new ones (Yes, that's a plural there )
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:53

garyh is on a distinguished road

As you're turning into one of the countries few remaining car builders, how about a track day? Do you have any pics of your car with the alli interior, is it done yet... or the 3005 on the road like Phil?
Old 23rd November 2012, 16:00

That is definitely on the cards Gary. we were just talking about a 'Get Together' earlier today and agree it would be a great idea. Again, watch this space for any developments.
Things are a little slow at present with making room and a probable move before the end of the year but everything is on track. The Ally Cordite is next 'off the line' and Vanessa is currently in for MoT. (3005?)
Old 23rd November 2012, 18:29

3005, isn't that the RAL colour for wine red.
Old 24th November 2012, 05:23

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
3005, isn't that the RAL colour for wine red.
I do believe it is, but I also believe that 3005 is the number of Spyders that Phil J could build before I finish mine...
Old 26th November 2012, 13:16

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road
Default Website not working

http://www.sammio-spyder.com/home.html
Is it me or has something happened, wanted to reference the gallery for pictures of the screen fixing but got something random instead..
Pops
Old 26th November 2012, 13:34

Hi Pops,
the new web address is:
www.sammio.co.uk
Any links can be referenced from there.
Old 28th November 2012, 18:21

slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Andy
Glad the move went well and you now have some space to take stock and have a break.
Progress is a little slow on Spyder 125 at present; I plan to have it on the road mid/late 2013.
Just a gentle reminder that I should be on your list for a grill and screen. Perhaps you could confirm. No rush at present.
All the best
Slarti
Old 29th November 2012, 08:40

Hi Slarti,
Yes, I'll be making sure that all shortfalls are dealt with as soon as I possibly can.
Cheers and thanks
Andy
Old 5th December 2012, 08:54

Default More changes on the way

Gents (and if there are any on the forum, Ladies)

As muted in previous posts, things, they are a changing. For many reasons, and not least because we (Gaz Davies and I) will shortly be expanding the range of kits and want to include some sales of classics, as of 1st January, the company will be renamed 'Ribble Kits and Classics' and all products re-branded to reflect this.

The web site will be revisited and a new URL will be generated, though the existing one will still be accessible under its original name.

More controversially, the cars are also to be renamed. This decision is purely to start building a 'corporate brand' with a running theme consistent with the 'Ribble' theme. So, here goes...
  • The well loved Spyder will become the 'Ribble Pilot',
  • The Cordite will be the 'Ribble Navigator',
On the way (More of these later when we have painted prototypes) are the
  • 'Tornado'
  • 'Ribble Gunner'
  • 'Ribble Rigger'
  • 'Ribble Riot'

We are currently negotiating with a large automotive concern in Norway to distribute the Chevaux overseas which may, or may not, be renamed by them so we'll hold off on that for now, but if one does sell in this country, it will be sold as the 'Ribble Pilot CV' as cosmetically it is identical to the 'Pilot'.

Now, changes in the existing cars. I've mentioned this on other threads, but to keep all changes in one post, I thought it a good idea to list them here.
  • Both Pilot and Navigator will be supplied without doors as standard
  • Door kits will be available for both cars
  • Pilot and Navigator rear bodies will be remoulded without humps (Enables boot space and removable/hinged humps)
  • Left and Right handed humps will be available as required (Enables LHD, RHD, Twin)
  • Both Pilot and Navigator frames will be revisited and check measured against factory drawings
  • Frames will be standardised so that a door option would only require a bolted frame strut to be removed
We are now looking to move (again) into a much larger workshop to enable this to happen. Not too far away though, we're currently bidding on a 3000+ sq ft facility in Wigan. If and when this happens, contact details will be published both here and on the web site.

As you can surmise, we are very busy in the background and there are other changes planned and I'll make sure you see them here first

Now I stand back and await the fireworks
Old 5th December 2012, 08:59

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

That all sounds very exciting and the next positive chapter in the story. I wish you the very best of luck.

I like the names a lot.
Old 5th December 2012, 10:18

davecymru is on a distinguished road

That all does sound exciting and i look forward to seeing how things progress, but i must say that from a commercial perspective while changing the company name makes sense, changing a well established and widely known product name doesn't seem to.

I can see that you want to do your own thing and that you want a break with the past, and to that end changing from Sammio to Ribble is fair enough and achieves that well goal. But changing the established product names Spyder and Cordite to those new (in my opinion also not as catchy) names, doesn't seem wise even if you are making modifications to the underlying product?

Please accept that this is just my personal opinion and i really don't want to sound negative to your overall plans as i respect that you're putting a lot of blood sweat and tears into all of this, but i thought it worth sharing my thoughts on this one small part as I've seen a number of these sort of changes in business over the years as companies buy each other out and I've never seen them go well where the underlying product names were changed.

Just my 2p, feel free to ignore, i won't be upset
Old 5th December 2012, 11:28

I would agree with Dave about model names. If it looked like a Pembleton, the Gunner etc.. would match. But not Italian 50's sportscar? But all the best anyway, and you will have my continued support.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:56

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

good luck, sounds like the start of a great new venture...
Old 5th December 2012, 13:51

seanick is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Is that Ribble as in the Yorkshire river?? Sounds a bit wet to me.
Mind you ribble sounds like rubble....and rubble is a bit rough.

To be honest............stick with Spyder and Cordite. Good names and well known.

Anyone following these cars knows the car has changed hands, and as long as the revised product is as you hope it will be, sales will not be a problem.
They sold like hot cakes for the first two years, as they are!
Whatever you do, it will have to be quick or the momentum and following that Gary and Mike built will be lost........

Last edited by seanick; 5th December 2012 at 22:36.. Reason: better.