Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 16th April 2017, 21:18

deni is on a distinguished road

New, longer studs were used.

IMAG0796.jpg

All went well, but there is one thing I am not sure about so please, if anybody can advise it would be great. I have tightened the screws as tight as it was possible but I still have a small gap between the lowering block and the bottom plate (first two pictures below), even though the bottom leaf of the spring fits quite well in the gap of the lowering block (last photo).

IMAG0801.jpg

IMAG0804.jpg

IMAG0802.jpg
Old 17th April 2017, 07:48

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Nice work. Just a thought, did you loctite the blanking studs in to stop them dropping into the diff casing?

The slight gap between the lowering block and bottom leaf could be to prevent the rest of the leaves in the stack from being clamped in place and allow them to move laterally. As far as I'm aware, the bottom leaf should be fixed to the diff and the rest should be able to slide from side to side -

http://www.canleyclassics.com/techni...swing-springs/

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Last edited by Mister Towed; 17th April 2017 at 07:57..
Old 17th April 2017, 09:29

Mister Towed - Thank you for your reply. I did not use Loctite, so thank you for pointing this out. I've only tightened them as much as I could with mole grips, but now you've mentioned this I think I should use Loctite, as the studs are not held with the nuts above the spring like before. So, next time I'm working on the car I will fix this.

Cheers,
D
Old 17th April 2017, 09:40

Default Swing Spring

I have another question I hope someone can help me with please. I was reading in a Herald manual that the original spring has the front and the back side, and should be positioned accordingly. I've checked the old spring and I saw the markings. However, I could not see such markings on swing spring. Does a swing spring has front or back side, i.e. the side of the spring that should point towards the engine?

Cheers,
D
Old 17th April 2017, 09:41

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Deni - Not sure if the Herald set up is the 100% the same as the Spitfire (although they are obviously very similar).

But there was a hole in my lowering block that needed to be enlarged slightly for the rear spring to locate properly.

More details in this post:
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...&postcount=530

Finally, although I did fit a lowering block initially, I eventually removed it as the rear of the car was too low.

Hope that helps and good luck, Paul.
Old 17th April 2017, 10:03

Hi Paul,

Thank you for a quick reply. I think I will remove the spring and do it again, but this time using some Loctite (I have noticed that there are quite a few Loctite variations, with different numbers on the bottles, presumably representing a different strength?) and checking the centre hole too.

Btw, how do you make your pictures visible at all times, without logging in? (I upload my pictures directly via this forum page).

Cheers,
D
Old 18th April 2017, 20:06

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deni View Post
…Btw, how do you make your pictures visible at all times, without logging in? (I upload my pictures directly via this forum page)…
Deni - I host my photos on an external website (like Photobucket) and then post the links to the photos.

When you attach a photo load on this site, the code appears like this in the post.
( I've added some spaces so that the photo itself doesn't appear. )

[ attach ] 4320 [ / attach ]

However, if I open the photo itself up in a separate tab, I get this link...

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...0&d=1492376892

To turn the link into a photo, you need to add some code to the front and back of it.
( Again, I've added spaces so the photo will not appear. )

[ i m g ] http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...0&d=1492376892 [ / i m g ]

Then if you remove the spaces you get this.

Now I am not 100% sure if the photo above is visible without logging in.

There may also be a quicker way of doing this, but I've not actually tried to load photos on here.

Hope that helps, Paul.

PS
if you 'Quote' this post, you will be able to see the photo code in action.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:49

Thank you Paul, I thought it must be because you are using a host website to upload the photos. I will try to use the Photobucket website next time.

Cheers,
D
Old 19th April 2017, 12:41

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Good luck Deni - will be interesting to see how you get on.

I am back on my build, the engine saga continues - it never ceases to amaze me how real life keeps blocking me. So I am now trying the "one day a weekend is my time" routine - I will see if that works.

Anybody going to Stoneleigh at end of April?
Old 20th April 2017, 12:06

Hi Marc,

Yes, I was wondering what happened with your build. Glad to hear you are back on it and I hope it all goes well.
I agree - "often and little" someone once said, and I will try to stick to it too.
Good luck with your build and I will keep checking your thread.

Cheers,
D
Old 20th April 2017, 12:11

Marc F is on a distinguished road

Yes, I am still plugging away. Sadly, I have forgotten how to post pictures so I need to try and understand that process again.

But real life is a bitch - I envy those who have retired and can devote serious time to their cars. I get pulled from pillar to post on all manner of domestic matters - kids, house, family illness. And don't talk to me about where the money goes...

But I am still going, and still fermenting plans