Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Closed Thread

Old 28th February 2016, 19:28
Enthusiast

Nubodi Automotive is on a distinguished road

Lastly for today, unless there are any questions, is the result of the above.
Although it not our best work here's Nicks car WCA which he got back yesterday. Considering it was two bonnets stitched together!!

However Smash's (Scott, remember this is his thread before it got hijacked sideways) car will be our best work yet and will be on show at Stoneleigh in a few weeks.

Last edited by Nubodi Automotive; 28th February 2016 at 20:59..
Old 28th February 2016, 19:44
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
knew my bodyshop well and he suggested using the booth.

I don't know how hot he dialled it up to but it was only in there about an hour
If you put a GRP bodied car in a bake oven I would not advise heating above 25 degrees.

1/Just for the record, although its not really any business of yours, I agreed a saleprice of £8600 for the Kobra as it was a prototype and needed work. The customer asked us to do more work on it which brought it up to £9800. (sorry I lied then about not selling one under £10000...shoot me now. I can post the sales invoice if you wish?

2/My wifes car was accident damaged but was only cosmetic and the outer panels were unbolted anyway. The boot lid still did not fit. Chris made another one free of charge and this was a better fit but we could not spend the time on it to get it perfect as we were busy with other builds. We think the main problem may be the hinge. Why do you persist in harping on about this car, are you so perfect? We are not, and should not be judged by by this build. Post a picture of your car so everyone can see your work?

I so look forward to a chat with you at Stoneleigh.
Old 28th February 2016, 19:46
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Looks lovely Richard, I take it that it is base and clear ? if so what lacquer do you use ?

Jeff.
No lacquer just 2K gloss black. Scotts car will have several coats of lacquer and then cut back after a week of hardening.

Last edited by Nubodi Automotive; 28th February 2016 at 19:51..
Old 28th February 2016, 20:02
Enthusiast

Quote:
The red oxide primer that you get in aerosols is porous and will absorb moisture, it is basically the same as a grey aerosol primer.

The Resin/ Zylene based stuff is not porous, it is also more of a treatment system, this is what is used to paint bridges, steel beams in construction etc.

Personally I would never advise driving a car in primer of any sort for any length of time. more so at this time of year, I have seen so many paint jobs ruined because of this.

Hope this helps ?

Jeff.
The one we get from the paint suppliers must be this type then. It says on the tin non-porous to water ingress.
Old 28th February 2016, 20:54
Enthusiast

Quote:
Result then.

If a customer needs his/her car back in primer for any reason, I
would always flash a coat of colour over it just to be on the safe side, then prep and paint as per usual when the vehicle comes back in.

Jeff.
Good idea, great work by the way.
Old 28th February 2016, 20:57

swifty is on a distinguished road

The black paint job looks great, black i believe is the hardest colour to get a good finish as it shows every little imperfection in the prep work, well done.
I used celly on my build as i don't have access to a booth plus i was a virgin sprayer (the thought of Madonna singing like a virgin has just sprung into my mind, ohh happy days) so chose the more forgiven route for my first attempt but me thinks i may regret it in the long run as already i am finding the paint is very easily chipped as its so soft. Any way keep on posting info as it's what make's this forum what it is.
Old 28th February 2016, 22:42

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Jeff H - You are about 30 minutes down the road from me. I can drive down during the week and show what he has done
Old 29th February 2016, 11:01

smash is on a distinguished road

So....TNT delivery man has been today - he has delivered a box of BMW hub adapters, tri-ear spinners and lead mallet!

I expect I'll have to pay VAT and duty before the wheels will be released to me...

Still no response from Lockwood international regarding dials - why do companies advertise contact email addresses and just ignore them!!
Old 29th February 2016, 11:29

wolfie is on a distinguished road

I hope that the squabbles have finally gone away, I have met Richard a few times and even managed to blag a free Nubodi T shirt off him. He is a very nice and knowledgeable chap, who loves doing what he does. He has posted many helpful posts on here on the way to do things - remember he doesn't have to spend his time doing this this he just does it to help other people and i for one are very grateful for his posts, help and ideas when building my Kobra ( and the t shirt ).
He should be praised and not slagged off as we need people to share their ideas on this site which is why i go on it.

Last edited by wolfie; 29th February 2016 at 11:31..
Old 29th February 2016, 12:59

Speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

Could not have said it better, well done Wolfie. I think the silliness is done now.
Tribute make cheap, affordable and great quality kits for the masses.
Nubodi shows the kits potential and makes the public sit up and notice.
Nuff said.
Old 1st March 2016, 19:46

EL PRIMER is on a distinguished road

WCA .Your car looks great , between Tribute fitting the new bonnet , Nubodi fettling and the painters painting it , you have all done a top job ...

Last edited by EL PRIMER; 1st March 2016 at 20:00..
Old 1st March 2016, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedjunkie View Post
Hi. Ive never posted before but could not hold back any longer.
I come from the American car world and forums and have read every thread on the Tribute site. I came across Richard Bird of Nubodi Automotive back in the late 1980's. I was at a show at Hickstead showground where his car won best of show. It was a Chevrolet Chevelle 1969 which had a big block engine and a shortened rear axle, fully 'tubbed' which he called Pro Street No.1. This car started the Pro street craze in the nineties. It was on the cover of Street Machine (remember that?) and was the best car I have even seen...ever! He has not mentioned here any of these fine vehicles he has built like this over the years. I wait for any new posts to his thread to learn. Although I've never met him he comes across to me as a good chap, where Danny HUFC gets the idea he is arrogant I'm not sure. Perhaps he could give us an example, I cant find any? Although with his credentials I would not blame him.
There's seems to me to be a bunch of three, Roadster, Danny (was that your excuse for an apology?) and Mister towed (although he seems to be changing his tune now) who are over loyal to Chris and Dan because they think Nubodi is taking the credit and limelight for Chris's work.
As I and others seem to see it, Nubodi came along when Chris never had any finished vehicles to show and has propelled his company to be a major player in the kit car industry via the press and standard of work. I am willing to bet none of the these three has even met him or spoken at length with him. You should be ashamed of this behavior. Hopefully this has come to and end now and he, Richard has not been put off and continues to post.
I am not wanting to re-new any arguments or indeed get involved with any , but just wanted to pick up on something in the quote above . I too , come from an American Car background , had several cars featured over the years in Custom Car , Street Machine etc. Even managed to get a few pics in Street Rodder magazine a few years back ! , roof chopped Chevrolet Sleds etc.mostly in the 80's when I was attending shows all over . The Chevelle sounds great ,My old 56 Chevy 2dr sedan was pro-streeted around the same time by Gary Smith , the new owner . I am sure I must have seen it at shows but would be interested in seeing a picture on here , if you can post one up . I'll dig out some pics of my old feature stuff too and put some up if anyones interested ?
Wheres the Chevelle now ? My mate Ron France had a pro street Chevelle a couple of years back , same one ?
My mate Shug from Glasgow had a really neat 32 Ford Pro Street 3 window Coupe in about 86 too ...so you must have had the Chevelle earlier than that ? I think Nick Arletts 47 Pro Street Coupe ( as ripped to pieces by Clarkson on Top Gear ) was mid 80's too ?

Anyway , sorry to hijack thread , just wasnt expecting to see anything about American and Hot Rod stuff on here .
Old 2nd March 2016, 13:28

Wheels arrived yesterday - great turn around from Australia. If I didn't know better I'd say they were probably made alongside Daytons in the same factory. They look identical. Very chromey, shiny and lovely...
Old 3rd March 2016, 06:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Smash - Your wheels might have set a new record for the further distance parts have travelled for a Tribute build.

I know this thread took a turn for the worst, but I still this it would be a shame if this statement was true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
… There won't be any finished photos of the car on this thread...
Perhaps you could start a new "On the road" thread with some photos in it?

Either way, good luck, Paul.
Old 10th March 2016, 18:14

Sorry to butt in again , but I dont suppose Speedjunkie or Richard from Nubodi himself could post up a picture of that Chevelle ? Start a new thread or pm me with it rather than cocking up this thread anymore , but my mate Ron is bending my ear constantly about seeing a picture of it .
Sorry again
Old 10th March 2016, 20:12
Enthusiast

I'm sure I have the magazine somewhere in storage at my mothers. I'll try and find it at the weekend.
The car was imported from the States, it was a 1969 SS Chevelle with a 396 big block engine. It was in pristine condition but the colour was brown. The car was stripped and sand blasted back to bare metal, it was painted at Prince Brothers near Reading Porsche Guards red. It ran a Mr Gasket vertical gate shifter on a four speed manual. The engine was stripped and bored out to produce around 550BHP. The axle was shortened with Strange shafts and 12 bolt posi rear end. Centreline racing wheels, very wide at rear, very narrow at the front. Alloy tubed inside and roll cage. Also had a parachute and wheelie bars fitted. It was running mid 10's but potential to go faster. Stock interior apart from race harnesses. I sold it to a guy named Roy Giles who swapped it and and my ex-girlfriend Debbie Turley (who he married and had kids) for a bright red full track ready Trans-am in mint condition (which I later wrote off in a multi Police car chase...opps)and a Triumph Bonneville show winning chop. and my ex-girlfriend Debbie Turley (who he married and had kids with). No idea where it is now but one of the fastest cars I every owned and one of the prettiest.
Old 10th March 2016, 21:33

y cymro is on a distinguished road

So Roy Giles swapped the Corvair and your ex girlfriend for a Trans Am and a motor bike?
Some years ago I swapped a girlfriend for an RS1600. I miss that car.
Old 10th March 2016, 21:45
Enthusiast

Well that's how the legend goes!
I must have bought and sold 500 cars or more in 35 years but its one of the top 3 I regret selling.
It was a strange time and seems like a previous life far, far away!

It was a Chrevrolet Chevelle by the way not a Corvair. The american car boys would string you up for such heresy. LOL

Last edited by Nubodi Automotive; 10th March 2016 at 21:49..
Old 10th March 2016, 22:05

y cymro is on a distinguished road

Ha! I thought a 550hp Corvair would be a bit much, even for you ;-)
Old 14th March 2016, 13:00

"Roy Giles Chevelle. Built by Reg Chatwin of RHC Chassis. Now owned by Andy Tipping."

https://www.facebook.com/Pro-Street-...79/?fref=photo
Closed Thread