Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st March 2017, 21:17

couerdelion is on a distinguished road
Default Couerdelion's 250 SWB Coupe Build

I thought I'd start a build thread from the very beginning (Pre-everything!)

I've started searching for a 2.8 Z3, have an idea on kit manufacturing times (5-6 weeks before Stoneleigh) and have the money sat in the bank ready to go.

Research I've done pretty much tells me it'll be nigh on impossible to get a decent insurance quote over here in Dublin, Ireland so I'll be building it here but then shipping and keeping in England to use when I'm over (quite often!) - Originally from Leeds and all my family still over there.

There's also the consideration of road tax. The 1.9 would cost me e700 to tax (used to have one that I swappped for an SLK). The 2.8 would cost a whopping e1391 a year in road tax.

I've been searching ebay / autotrader for a suitable donor and hope to get one this week. Got outbid on one today. Trying to keep it to a tight budget but prices seem to rising daily as we head towards summer. With the cost of road tax they are nearly all 1.9's here. Buying in UK is an option but I'll be buying blind as I'd have to fly in and drive it out (unless its NI).

Once I have a donor I'll order the kit. First time building something like this and looking forward to it. Got a mate helping me but he's as clueless as me.

Really enjoyed lurking and reading the build threads - theres some fantastic finished cars on here.

Plan for my build is to keep everything simple. Will complete the kit pretty much as is designed, without much modification, and then paint it myself to keep costs as low as possible. Seen some of the results of painting that members on here and other forums have got from both roller and spray and been impressed enough to give it a try. Not sure on colours yet. Maybe a dark matt grey. If the build process goes well then the mate will probably buy himself a kit too and that may get a few modifications if the confidence is there.
Available from eBay