Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > General Build Chat

General Build Chat Area for general build chat, questions, tips, tricks and progress

Old 20th May 2013, 22:00

woodsmith is on a distinguished road
Default Side screens or side windows? MSVA

In the MSVA section on glazing it says in things to check:

Quote:
2 Check that side screens (where fitted), windscreens and windows are securely attached to the vehicle. Note. Side screens are permitted to be detachable, i.e. slot into position, but must be secure such that during normal use they will not become detached or interfere with the driver's control of the vehicle.

3 Check all windscreens and other windows wholly or partly on either side of the driver's seat (not including side screens), are made of safety glass or safety glazing and marked by the manufacturer, to one of the European , or acceptable, standards.

4 Check all other windows (including sun roofs) and side screens are made of:
a) safety glass (as above), or
b) safety glazing.
Note. "Safety glazing" means material (other then glass) which is so constructed or treated that if fractured does not fly into fragments likely to cause severe cuts. There are no markings for safety glazing.

I am thinking of door window glazing at the moment. I had intended to use Land Rover door tops but the shape an size of the windscreen I now have won't fit with the steep angle of the Land Rover door top.
So that leaves me either having to find an alternative door glass that fits or using 'safety glazing' in side screens, which I assume to be some kind of acrylic or perspex type material.

But what is the difference between "windows wholly or partly on either side of the driver's seat" and "side screens"?

Cheers.
Available from eBay
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:15

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

I think the words "where fitted" are the ones you need to concentrate on
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:28

Would that make, for example, Land Rover doors with removable door tops able to be glazed in non glass safety glazing?

If that is the case I could make removable door tops of any shape and glaze them in perspex...
Old 25th May 2013, 07:32

When my car went for its SVA (back in the SVA days) I only had the windscreen fitted

Landrovers have always been a thorn in the DVLA's side as they are so part detatchable and interchangable.

What are you building?
Old 26th May 2013, 19:23

I am building a reverse trike van.
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...8&postcount=31
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...9&postcount=32

The model in the posts has changed as I now have a windscreen that is from a Leyland Lynx bus. The screen is almost 1m tall an so the shape of the cab front, in profile, changes quite a bit and the angle of the Land Rover door tops won't fit.

I am also thinking of it being more of a 'curvy' shape and so that requires the doors to have a more shapely profile. It would then be easier to not use glass that I can not cut to shape. Also give the wheel arch in the rear corner of the door I an unable to use wind down windows from a conventional car door.

I think you may be right about the 'where fitted' aspect as I could just build it without door tops and leave it open for a 'side screen' to be fitted later.
Old 28th May 2013, 18:21

I just remembered, there was a polycarbonate supplier I talked to who would supply custom glazing (curved or flat) which was E-marked (or whatever the current marking is) to get through the IVA... I think they were a rally car glass supplier. I'll try to find their details.

Chris

edit: Doh, I just realised who you are! Did the extracts for suspension and car design I sent you help at all?

Last edited by chrislandy; 28th May 2013 at 18:23..
Old 4th June 2013, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislandy View Post
I just remembered, there was a polycarbonate supplier I talked to who would supply custom glazing (curved or flat) which was E-marked (or whatever the current marking is) to get through the IVA... I think they were a rally car glass supplier. I'll try to find their details.

Chris

edit: Doh, I just realised who you are! Did the extracts for suspension and car design I sent you help at all?
Hi Chris, yes that was very helpful. Seems odd that I was planing on building something complex and sporty and now I am building it as a truck with a simple ladder chassis!

E-Marked Polycarbonate would be great. I could then design side windows the way i would like them to be and not worry about finding car glazing to fit.