Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 6th December 2013, 13:12

garyh is on a distinguished road

Mdf?
Old 6th December 2013, 15:36

Danny_HUFC is on a distinguished road

what happend to the origional side skirts from the z3? why dont you just modify them?
Old 6th December 2013, 16:04

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

The originals disappeared on ebay for £60.

I have been playing though and now have a different plan.

Extend the front wing panel down to the bottom of the sill.

Extend the rear wing panel down to the sill. Probably actually make a separate panel, bolt it to the sill and the blend it into the existing wing with filler as the rear wing is a big piece to start playing with.

Fill the holes along the sill.

I have mocked this up in cardboard and painted to see what it might look like. Unfortunately it got dark so the painting was completed by torch light. I shall inspect again in the morning.

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 6th December 2013 at 18:31..
Old 6th December 2013, 16:06

zagmad is on a distinguished road

maybe a pot riv panel to give it a period look.
Old 6th December 2013, 17:47

Looks like I don't need a mold, just grease proof paper and an angle grinder - http://youtu.be/g_FDYbWs5eY
Old 6th December 2013, 18:08

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Surely you aren't being serious! I expect when you take it to MOT (unless they know BMW's in detail) It would get failed for being patched rather than welded.
Just make up a GRP cover and be done with it - or buy a pair or sill covers like the ones you sold Moral there - don't sell ANYTHING until you are ABSOLUTELY sure you don't need it!
Old 6th December 2013, 18:11

Little Red Car is on a distinguished road

The mocked up sill panel looks good. How about attaching it with visible countersunk stainless steel allen-drive bolts? Easily removed if damaged and with a nice retro/modern twist.

Are you set on the idea of side pipes? With respect, I think they might make the middle section of the car look too deep, making both the nose and tail look too high? Your car, your way, of course though.

The two-tone rims look great, might taller rubber fill the arches even more?

Great project, I look forward to seeing it progress.
Old 6th December 2013, 18:40

Mitchel - I have edited the last picture on my previous post to show tyhe panel lines. The from and back would be removable panels with just the bit below the door being filled. If Mr MOT gets stroppy I will remove the front wing to show the holes beneath.

L R C - Side pipes are still up for debate which is why they have been removed for the week or so. I will play a bit this weekend and hopefully post up some more pictures while I decide. You are right about the taller tyres though. I am getting my other set of wire wheels powder coated when the money fairy arrives and might get some taller tyres fitted to those. Given the rate I am sliding the back end about at the moment though I might need to replace the rear tyres before then. :-) Glad you like the sliver on the rims. I was surprised with how well that turned out.

Taller tyres might help save the exhaust. I went under the back of the car earlier (which is why it is reversed onto the ramps) and saw a little marking on the cherry bombs. Maybe I could knock up a skid plate while I am doing the glass work on the sills.

Old 6th December 2013, 18:58

Pandora is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
I haven't played much with making glass fibre panels but what I have learnt so far is that the molds need to be strong enough to support the glass while it goes off.

I am struggling to work out how I can mold this as a single piece. I am guessing I can make it in several pieces and then stick them together. I am now going to scour the garage / house for suitable things to make the molds out of.

My level of expertise is minimal. Last time I used cling film to line the mold which actually worked quite well but I also discovered that the mold deformed when I rested it on the floor.

Any hints, tips of advice welcome.
happy to discuss, but easier to speak on the phone - it's too complicated to describe in writing.

I'll PM you my number

But basically - make a model, wax it, lay up mound, glass timber to outside of mould to give it strength, pull it, wax it, lay up moulding.

Split lines just need 2 steel rules to work out - place them on the face and if the included angle is diverging, you need a split mould or the moulding will get stuck in the mould
Old 6th December 2013, 21:52

Tribute Automotive is on a distinguished road
Default Z300S Captive Breeding Programme

Nick, Your car has offspring!

Old 7th December 2013, 09:00

Looks good Chris.

I don't suppose you want to make a sill cover panel and extend the front wing a bit as per my plans?

It would save me cocking mine up and whoever is getting number 2 might also be interested. I will be taking some more photos to more clearly show what in am planning.

If you are likely to help out please post or pm me over the weekend so I don't waste too much time getting covered in glass fibre.

Cheers
Old 7th December 2013, 12:26

zagmad is on a distinguished road

possibly a sheet of fibreglass. cut to length allowing for the arches furthest peaks on the curve and then cut that to shape. not sure who makes them ready made. just options. usually with the right keyword google has something.
Old 7th December 2013, 13:45

I wonder if this will persuade Chris to add sills to the standard kit?
Old 7th December 2013, 16:02

Link to exterior door handle removal (just so I can find it later) about 1/2 way down this page: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=35961&page=3

And this looks pretty handy too : http://adkusters.hobby-site.com/BMW%...ocumenten.html

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 7th December 2013 at 16:06..
Old 7th December 2013, 20:53

ive been following this thread and i know that no one likes critism but 'in my opinion' your spoiling the car. the side repeters look out of place the side exhausts are too low (have a rethink about 'fake' ones coming out a little higher) and the spay job? i havnt seen it in person but it looks terrible on the pics.

also ive had a few beers !
Old 7th December 2013, 20:54

and that cd badge? ohhhh man
Old 7th December 2013, 21:01

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

To be fair to WCA it ain't finished.
Old 7th December 2013, 22:29

I also have had a few beers and still accept the critism/comments.

I am trying out different ideas before I decide what works. The biggest thing I have learnt is that what seems like a good idea in your head or photoshop doesn't always work. I don't want to get the car finished and decided I got it wrong.

Originally I thought the holey side sills would look good. They don't. I am really glad I didn't spend big money on a paint job only to discover that.

Side exhausts? Still not sure about that. I think perhaps slightly bigger and higher but that wouldn't work with the real exhausts. So real exhaust only or keep the fakes? Not sure yet nand will wait until I fit sills before deciding

CD badge. If anyone thinks that is the final badge then they are having a giraffe. I want a shiney badge there to see if it adds focus to the grille or not. Sounds like a little thing but it is surprising the difference painting the headlight bowls black made.

Silver on the rims of the wheels. I think it looks good at the moment. Close up it is just silver hammerite but it lets me make a judgment.

I am not running on the big budgets or with the absolute final plan. I am making it up as I go along on next to no money. Putting cardboard and sticky tape along the sills lets me see if they look better that way for 50p of paint instead of £50 for a showroom finish.

I show every photo up on this forum so you can see and jugs my thoughts and ideas. I listen, think and then decide to act. Please continue to comment, praise and criticise. You will create me a better car.

Last edited by WorldClassAccident; 9th December 2013 at 12:42..
Old 8th December 2013, 09:03

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

WCA, I certainly can identify with you budget-wise!

Its because I'm broke that makes me so devious! Most people would just buy bits and put them on, but I try to make or modify as much as I can.
Its labour intensive, but does not cost actual cash!
Keep up the good work, you'll get what you want in the end:-)
Old 8th December 2013, 09:07

Thanks Scottie!