Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 30th May 2016, 22:18
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Hope it all gets sorted properly. Build is looking really good.
Old 14th July 2016, 11:57

Rickard is on a distinguished road

Well, I think I have solved my problem with brake servo and master brake cylinder collide with inlet mainfold system - I think that I have to angle my brake pedal 90 degrees so I get my servo and master cylinder into where the battery box is placed. It is a common way with US cars and hot rods to hide the servo and master cylinder from engine area. Now I have to decide if I buy a kit or do I make my own - there is about £200 for a complete kit. i think I start with making my own.

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/zenca...34b6e7181439ff

or
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...bly,60736.html

I also got a spreadsheet of Excel where I can put numbers in of what setup of you have of your car and then calculate what diameter you should have on the master brake cylinder. It would be nice to put in some figures of an existing Marlin and see what the calculation says...anyone who can get me some figures?

Last edited by Rickard; 14th July 2016 at 13:04.. Reason: adding link of solution..
Old 14th July 2016, 13:03

Default Calculation spreadsheet

Here is the Excel-file - but I put no responsibility in if it is calculated right or so, but I am curious about if it is good enough to start with...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Breaking_calculation_Marlin.zip (22 Bytes, 19 views)
Old 15th July 2016, 11:44

morris is on a distinguished road

Hi Rickard,

Have you considered just ignoring the Marlin pedal box altogether and going with floor mounted pedals such as below

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...dal-assembly-2

This is the route I'm looking at for the future so that I can upgrade to a 90 degree V8 or 60 degree V12 engine without the servo and master cylinder getting in the way of the wider heads and intake manifolds.

The master cylinder and servo would then be low down facing forwards and out of the way of anything. Ot would save you using up the space in the battery box as well
Old 18th July 2016, 07:23

Hi Morris, hmmm yes in a short moment I had that solution in my mind also but I have not been measuring so much so I can say it would fit/work...

Yes - I am thinking to skip Marlin pedal box at all solutions

In this car it will just be accelerator and braking pedal so it can maybe be done in a easy way in the end... I am going soon on vacation so then I have time to think and check out in a better way..
Old 19th July 2016, 23:12
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickard View Post
Here is the Excel-file - but I put no responsibility in if it is calculated right or so, but I am curious about if it is good enough to start with...
Hi Rickard

Is there a program attached here?
22bytes suggests there is not.........?
It seems to be an empty file compressed. When I try to unzip the folder my pc tells me there are no files inside the folder.

Regards

Mike
Old 21st July 2016, 07:20

Oops, sorry - I think I forgot to add the file - so we try again then....
Very sorry..
And the file is not so big and advanced....but maybe it could give a clue of information - and in this state I am curious of finding if the calculation matches the reality in this experienced problem in Marlins....??
Attached Files
File Type: zip Breaking_cal_Marlin.zip (7.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 21st July 2016, 22:08

Also add in that I think second line for piston in front brake would be used if you have a 4-piston caliper...but I am not 100% sure...

This was a comment to the Excel file - who has been looking into that and feels a little confused...??
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:27

Default Happy new year to all in this forum

Hi, I am thinking that it is best to sum up my building situation - I have been busy with helping my neighbours, so more time to think about the building situation instead...

I have made some adjustments in the transmission tunnel - because the automatic gearbox are a little bit wider than manual (looking the same on the other side - better picture later...). I have also made a new gearbox mount - the holes of Marlin was not in the right places to fit the gearbox.

Then I have been thinking of how to make the most of BMW steering parts so I can survive the first of two SFRO inspections. I found a way to split the longer steering shaft that Marlin provides in the kit and then make some new parts to fit them together in a mechanical way so SFRO will be happy (which prohibits welding, if you can´t have a materiel test that shows how it will act in a crashsituation). I have a better picture soon...

Next challenge will be a new setup with standing pedals instead of Marlins kit, I have to cut out and weld in a small box that allows the pedal fits in the firewall. This just for the main brake cylinder not to interfere with engine intake - this is for having the steering in the opposite side of the car from a british way.

The radiator mounting should be a smaller problem - thanks to Morris_Marlin excellent pictures at Flickr. I have a little adjustment made on the radiator which should make it easier I hope.

Then next move will be fitting the electric wiring from the engine through the firewall.

I also have to mount all braking and fuel lines before SFRO inspection.

After that it is electric wiring time....

So soon I can move into the warm part of our garage.... ( I tries to make all mechanical changes and welding in the bigger garage).