Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 17th September 2017, 17:21

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

I've just started to fit mine - using 24mm black Dzus fasteners as also decided to bolt clam down to start with (may hinge later). I've bonded / glasses a couple of angle brackets to clam so it can bolt to rear support bar from within engine bay so they are hidden.

For the screen itself I drilled a pilot hole first with 2mm drill at low speed (using a dremel) and then drilled it out with 6mm drill again at low speed. Halfway through the holes and touch wood all OK so far !

I've read conflicting views of whether to use sharp or used drill bit. Both bits were relatively new
Old 17th September 2017, 19:36

Nostromo is on a distinguished road

I wasn't sure what to use to hold it down but they seem like a good idea. I was looking at some phillips headed screws with massive flat heads o get a decent surface area for them to hold on to then gluing a nut underneath for it to screw into.

With regard to the clam, I've also gone for fixed for now and used bonnet pins front and rear then will nut and bolt/quick release the sides where the clam meets the side skirt to hold it all in place.

Thanks for the info on drilling the screen. Yeah, some people have said you'll not crack lexan, just go slow. And others have said about using a really blunt drillbit. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

How have you got on with your doors? I've not attempted straightening them up yet but its on the list.
Old 17th September 2017, 19:40

molleur is on a distinguished road

I use the 60 degree drill bits here:

http://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass_...tic_drill_bits

I'm sure you can source them locally. Works a treat.
Please read the entire advertisement.
Old 27th October 2017, 19:49

Been quite busy with the car just recently and managed at least an hour each day outside having a fettle.

Have done some work on getting everything aligned and closing in the shut lines. It's quite slow work and the driver's side seems to be much better than the passengers but it'll get there. Doors are now in just about the right place and have made up some brackets to go inside to push them out to the right place to meet the side skirts. Have also made up brackets to hold the skirts in place and now started on some more for the front bumper.

I've also sprayed up a couple of bits in the engine bay, hinged the bonnet and strapped it so it doesn't open too far. Pictures of stuff below.

I've gone back to looking into hinging the rear end although it'll be a little less elaborate and a little more wobbly (when open) than Wozzys frame that he's made. The main issue is the crash bar is too deep so you'd need to remove some of the clam to clear it. My plan is to get hold of some thinner box section and make up my own shortened less deep crash bar because I just don't want to cut the clam about. It may work, it may not...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171006_172008.jpg (86.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20171018_151010.jpg (81.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20171018_151223.jpg (84.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20171027_152958.jpg (86.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20171027_153022.jpg (88.9 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Nostromo; 28th October 2017 at 12:41..
Old 27th October 2017, 21:41

wozzy is on a distinguished road

Looking good, keep up the good work mate.
Old 27th October 2017, 21:54

How are the top of the doors against the roof?
Old 27th October 2017, 23:44

They're actually pretty good but more through luck than anything else. It's not that easy to explain (I'd take a photo but I'm at work) so at the rear edge of the door, I've managed to trim the door skin so that the top half of the mr2 door is inside the door skin, and the bottom half is outside of it which pushes the bottom of the skin outward and the top of the skin in then I've bent some brackets to space the bottom of the mr2 door out a touch more to meet the side skirt. I hope that the addition of bit of rubber door seal at the top will give it some extra rigidity as it'll push the top of the door out a bit more.

I'll take a photo this weekend.

Last edited by Nostromo; 28th October 2017 at 06:29..
Old 28th October 2017, 09:05

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Looks good and great to see you making progress. I’m having to do the same with spacing the bottoms of the door skins out of push them flush. Tops of mine are ok and it helped me with alignment to cut the roof panel off from the rear clam. As for the tops of the doors against the hardtop/ MR2 door jam I know Retro200 used some rubber stops in the top corner here which I was planning to copy.
Old 28th October 2017, 14:15

I ended up cutting the tops of the doors off and refitting them get them to sit better.
Old 16th November 2017, 20:55

Have done a lot of work on the door skins to get them to sit better onto the doors. They're finally starting to come good. The rear edge of both doors are impacting upon the clam so will trim them back once the doors are fitted. Overall quite happy with how they're comin along.

Made a new exhaust out of the old one and a new muffler

Fitted (although it needs a bigger exit)

Last edited by Nostromo; 17th November 2017 at 08:13..
Old 17th November 2017, 13:36

Looking good, what's the noise like on the new silencer?
Old 17th November 2017, 14:24

Little bit noisier than standard on tickover but its peppered with air leaks at the moment so could get a tiny bit louder. I've not sealed it up yet. It could be the noisiest thing in the world when I get to drive it but the plan for now is to have two exhausts. One like this (for MOTs and things), then another deleting the cat for when I feel like being obnoxious... which will probably be most of the time.
Old 23rd November 2017, 18:54

Fog lights - went for Rings as the hellas are just a bit too expensive for me at the moment. Could always just buy a set of hella covers I suppose.

And my new tail pipe. 3.5 inch... not too ott.

Have also started on a bit of fiberglassing. Never done it before so it's a big step.
Old 24th November 2017, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftyDS View Post
I've just started to fit mine - using 24mm black Dzus fasteners as also decided to bolt clam down to start with (may hinge later). I've bonded / glasses a couple of angle brackets to clam so it can bolt to rear support bar from within engine bay so they are hidden.

For the screen itself I drilled a pilot hole first with 2mm drill at low speed (using a dremel) and then drilled it out with 6mm drill again at low speed. Halfway through the holes and touch wood all OK so far !

I've read conflicting views of whether to use sharp or used drill bit. Both bits were relatively new
I am getting the windscreen guy to bond mine in, he reckons it will be fine with just that, but mine can stay in place as the clam will lift.

Looking good Nick, thinners with get the fibreglass off your fingers afterwards
Old 24th November 2017, 18:12

Today's efforts:

I fiberglassed the headlight surrounds into place:

Which seems to have gone quite well. Also did my as sender door which had split where the b pillar meets the main part of the door. I'm not posting a picture of that because I've disappointed myself

Also cut and fitted the number plate lights. These are Peugeot led units. Look good and seem to aim in the right sort of direction.

Old 25th November 2017, 12:29

landmannnn is on a distinguished road

you are right about the lamp covers, Ring says cheap. I have seen some Ford badged covers.
Old 25th November 2017, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmannnn View Post
you are right about the lamp covers, Ring says cheap. I have seen some Ford badged covers.
Ah ok, maybe for now i'll just take the covers off then
Old 26th November 2017, 11:51

retro200 is on a distinguished road
Default mrs200 number plate lights

i used ford transit connect number plate lights they fit the raised area spot on, loads on ebay , ive got a 08 tranny lwb here at the moment i am working on they look the same as well. glad your makng progress keep at it !!
Old 26th November 2017, 21:09

I'm using the Transit Connect also
Old 30th November 2017, 21:57

Grew some berries and glued the sideskirts on yesterday. Today's little job was to work out the mr2 to Sierra door handles. Was pleasantly surprised to get it right first time.

Doors are getting stuck on tomorrow! Making good progress