Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 26th August 2011, 22:11

oaktree11 is on a distinguished road
Default Seats for the "wider" driver!

One of the attractions of the Sportster for me is that it is wider than the 7'esque clones.

I am really interested in what seats other builders have chosen? I would like to fit the widest I can without modifying the chassis at all. I suppose I would lean towards the comfort end of the seat spectrum rather than the purist racing type seat!

The seats in my 320 are rather comfortable....
Available from eBay
Old 26th August 2011, 22:30
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Cobra Roadster 7's they pinch a bit if I have a winter coat on, otherwise they're fine and I'm not a 'small' person. Makes for good hold in the corners though
Old 26th August 2011, 22:40

Thanks for the quick reply Patrick. They look like agood seat, are the slots for the seatbelts essential?
I guess I need to sit in a few of the options, I am what people politely describe as "prop forward build"! (not surprising, I have played in that position for over 40 years!)
I was looking at Toyota MR2 seats has anyone tried them?

Last edited by oaktree11; 26th August 2011 at 22:43..
Old 26th August 2011, 23:02
Enthusiast

The seat belt holes are optional but they belts sit much better through the holes than they would over the top:

You can't pass IVA with just the seat holes as Cobra don't have suitable EU documentation to say they're strong enough to withstand a crunch. I had to add the seat belt bar anyway after my first go at SVA. I omitted the cobra logo from my order, I got them direct and had them finished with vinyl I supplied so the whole interior would match.
Old 27th August 2011, 06:47

I have to say that your interior looks great. It shows how attention to detail matters. The Cobras look even better in the car and the matching trim really works.
Just so I am clear, will the car pass SVA with the holes in the seat IF the seatbelt bar is fitted?
I suppose I am going to have to get into the detail of the SVA sooner rather than later...
Old 27th August 2011, 06:53
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree11 View Post
One of the attractions of the Sportster for me is that it is wider than the 7'esque clones.

I am really interested in what seats other builders have chosen? I would like to fit the widest I can without modifying the chassis at all. I suppose I would lean towards the comfort end of the seat spectrum rather than the purist racing type seat!

Hi Oaktree
I am building a Cabrio , which is narrower than the Sportster and wanted good quality seats, and have managed to fit A4 Sports seats with all the adjustment that comes with them (except height, as they have to be set as low as possible). I have altered my transmission tunnel, but don't know whether you could get away without. I'll measure the new seat space and let you know what you need.

This is what I did:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikes_b...57603853068706
Mike
Old 27th August 2011, 07:25
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Hi
I had some Cobra seats which, when I measured them up, didn't quite match the IVA head restraint criteria. So I got some temporary black recliner seats - comparison here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3310545...in/photostream
which passed ok, and no requirement for the seatbelt bar (rather surprisingly, but may vary from tester to tester??).
I found that you need a very narrow but very tall seat in order to (i) fit (ii) meet IVA requirements.
Hope this helps
Tim
Old 27th August 2011, 09:23
Enthusiast

Thanks Yes with the seat belt bar added they passed SVA with the belts going through the holes. The bar is higher up than the holes.

There's more details on my SVA issues here: http://www.msportster.co.uk/sva-day/
Old 27th August 2011, 17:40
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree11 View Post

I fitted seats from an early MX5. They have the advantage of a proper steel frame and adjustable back rake. At the time someone was selling retrim kits in leather which I also took advantage of.

Robin
Old 27th August 2011, 21:53

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I do like the idea of fitting seats from a production car - the MX5 for example. I dont have my chassis yet (well, I do but not at home - long story!). Could someone tell me how much room there is to play with in the sportster in terms of available width?
I was looking at this for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-...item45fbadf955

Last edited by oaktree11; 27th August 2011 at 22:16..
Old 30th August 2011, 07:49
Enthusiast

Those look similar but not identical to the MX5 seats I used. The headrests are bigger. I suspect those are from an imported car. (Eunos was the name for the car in Japan I beleive)

The MX5 seats are a tight squeeze - I had to fit the drivers seat on the passenger side and vice versa. I re-used the runners giving about 3" of adjustment before the transmission tunnel got too wide.

Robin
Old 30th August 2011, 08:10

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Looks like IVA testers vary from one to another. My cabrio passed with Cobra 7 seats, with slots, and no bar. The only issue the tester had was the slots were 1mm too low. Just 1mm. I persuaded him the cushion would compress under my weight and after a bit of umming and aaaring he let it pass. I was the first IVA test he had done though....
Old 23rd November 2012, 20:29

Default detail of seat fitting

Hi all, I have resurrected this thread because I am looking at how to fit the MX5 seats that I now have.

I just wondered how the rest of you fitted the seats to the floor. I am considering mounting the subframes to two flat steel plates welded between the tunnel and the sidefame.

I just didnt want to reinvent the wheel!

Thanks

John
Old 24th November 2012, 16:55
Enthusiast

I used the original MX5 runners and some spacers made from 25mm box section as I recall. Bolted straight through the galvanised steel floor with some penny washers underneath to spread the load. SVA man was happy.

The galvanised steel floors are at least as strong as a production car and mine are fixed with stainless pop rivets and bonded with sikaflex so they aren't going anywhere....

I am sure there are some pictures on my original website somewhere.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/martincla...s_modified.jpg
Old 24th November 2012, 17:55

Robin,
Actually you have answered the question I should have asked-ie are the floors themselves strong enough to bolt the seats to. Right now mine are just laying there and look a bit flimsy but I can see that when riveted and bonded they would be quite different.
That reassures me. What I am going to do is temporarily fit the floors with a few rivets then position and fit the seats.
The reason for this activity is that I have a welder coming to reposition the bump stops and I would like him to weld the cross bar on the roll over bar and I want to measure from the actual seat position.

Btw, what seatbelts did you use? They look cool

Thanks for the help - John

Last edited by oaktree11; 24th November 2012 at 17:59..
Old 24th November 2012, 19:32

NigelB is on a distinguished road

I thought for a long time about this and whether the floor needed strengthening at all. I came to the conclusion that all the floors need to do is support the weight of the seat and driver which is a vertically applied force. The galvanised floor panels, firmly secured at regular intervals to the steel lips around the chassis will do this adequately. Any other forces on the floor / seat joint resulting from sudden changes of speed either fore and aft or laterally would be countered by a good quality 3 or 4 point harness. In fact the only reason the seats need to be secured is to stop them moving backwards under hard acceleration and then not being able to reach the brake pedal (and even worse, not being able to keep your right foot on the accelerator!!).

Radical thinking probably but I'm pretty sure to basic Marlin set up is strong enough.
Old 24th November 2012, 20:06
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

There are some interesting tips and diagrams in the IVA manual. I used 'load spreader plates' ie 100 x 100 x 4mm steel plates bolted to the underside of the floor panels under the rear seat runner mounts. The basic premise was to prevent the bolts ripping through the floor in the event of a sudden stop (crash) as the front bolts will want to push down on the floor and the rear bolts will want to lift up. Maybe I was being overly-cautious. They did not attract any comment from the IVA man anyhow.

I also took the opportunity to weld the securing bolts to the bit of the seat runner which attaches to the seat, thus when removing the seats, all I have to do is lie under the car and remove the 4 bolts and the seats lift straight out. Although make sure the holes line up exactly or they are a b..... to put back in

Tim
Old 24th November 2012, 20:54
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Just to add to the options....
I mounted my seat runners through steel strips across the floor. The strips were bolted to the floor edge lips just to add a bit of stiffness and spread the seat load.
Like Robin, I also used stainless steel pop rivets to fix the floor to the chassis.

Drivers seat by marlinpeter, on Flickr

......peter
Old 25th November 2012, 08:08

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

My seats are bolted via the runners straight through the floor panels and are quite easy to remove. Its a bit of a stretch to reach the inside bolts from the edge of the car on your own.
Going to replace the carpeting soon as its a poor job. How much does one need ?
Old 25th November 2012, 10:09
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

All I can remember is ordering far too much Den. Probably twice as much as I needed. I know I bought the carpet from woollies trim - ill see if I can find the invoice later