Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 20th August 2014, 20:38

davecymru is on a distinguished road

I've just put the old radiator back in place and positioned the bodyshell on the frame to see how much i'd need to lower the radiator by for the Miglia, as i had to do that previously for my old Sammio Spyder.

and....

it all seems to just.... fit!
Panic started to set in that i'd ballsed something up!
Jiggled shell around just to make sure i'm not being a numpty!
Nope still seems to fit.
Jiggled shell around again, while starting to grin.
Still seems to just fit in the std location.
Quick txt to young Mike and he's just confirmed that i can leave the radiator in the normal position and it all should fit just fine!!!!

<stands back and waits for the "have you read the extensive build instructions" comments!>

Old 20th August 2014, 20:58

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

It fits? Where's the fun in that?
Old 21st August 2014, 10:06

Marc F is on a distinguished road

That is definitely the impression I had got, that the Miglia had that extra bit of development in it so that things fitted and worked. So well done.

But to be honest, with all your experience of radiators what did you expect :-)
Old 25th August 2014, 12:33

The new radiator is here and mounted and i notice that the newer style "traditional" Vitesse rad that i have gone for has offset cooling tubes rather in-line like my original one and the one on my Sammio. So i'm expecting good things from this!

But ignore the bolt-together bits, this weekend has been about the bulkhead!

After much pondering and looking at the big pile-o-aluminium i ordered from metals4you.co.uk i first extended the sides of the supporting frame forwards with 25x25x3mm steel box section.

Then I welded a horizontal 4mm thick steel plate from the drivers side upright and spaning across the back of the brake and clutch cylinders to bolt them to (making a nice strong pedal box even before the extra alloy L section and panels are in place!!)
This is also what the new throttle pedal is going to be bolted on to. Now from this point onward i'm hoping that everything else is going to be alloy.

You can see that plate and the first of the alloy cross members in this pic

And now for the fun part making all of the panels!

ATM it feels very much like "Insert tab A into Slot B" And I've already learnt the hard way not to fasten anything in place until I've got _all_ the parts ready!!

I've already got a load done but i've also found that i really need the front floors in place before i go too far!
So I've had to bite the bullet and start fabricating two of those out of alloy so that i could get the measurements for the rest of the parts. But i'll be using the main dropped floorpans from Mike when they turn up.

Last edited by davecymru; 25th August 2014 at 12:35..
Old 28th August 2014, 20:21

And the lowered floorpans have been fabricated and I've started on the rest of the bulkhead!

Lots of bonding (with Tiger Seal) and also riveting together have made them very strong and given me much needed foot room!

I've also now altered and welded on the changed steering column mounts so that i can finish fitting the steering and cutting the front bulkhead panel on the drivers side.

Along with finishing the steering i'm also going to fabricate into the bulkhead a battery box. As if i didn't have enough drilling and pop-riveting to do as it stands!!
Old 28th August 2014, 21:22

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Very nice work Dave.

I must confess I'd never used rivets before my build and they are great little things.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 28th August 2014, 21:41

Thurcroft flyer is on a distinguished road

looks great coming along fine now I like the ally floor pans. did your pedals fall in place for your seating position o.k. or did you have to alter them. mind you if you look at my frame and then yours, although they are for the same base vehicle, they are fabricated quite differently (intresting)
Old 29th August 2014, 10:22

Cheers guys!

I did pick up on the frame differences and mentioned them to Mike as my pedal plate was simply in the wrong position!
He has said that he is trying to make the frame simpler, but also better and he's now looking at getting it all tigg'd together in order to offer a better quality product.

Personally it didn't bother me nowadays, but i know that "me pre-Sammio" may have been a bit more cautious placing an order if i knew i'd _have_ to make the alterations i now have.

On the topic of alterations, i took a load of pics at the Mark Moor International Vehicle festival the other week as a part of my "mood board" and i'll post some of those up here shortly in case they can also inspire others.

Plus there were some REALLY nice cars!!
Old 29th August 2014, 12:57

Mark Moor International Vehicle Festival 2014

350+ cars, vans, tractors & bikes from all generations turned up to what was an amazing show!!

My favourite car of the show. "The Duchess"

Nice interior!

The Tri-King parked next to it was also amazing inside and something for me to aim for!!

Old 29th August 2014, 13:01

I was on the scrounge for ideas for my interior, and this _really_ old one showed what can be achieved with a load of alloy a lot of patience (well... some) and some pop rivets!

The Cobra that turned up looked lovely inside, but was a bit "leather fetishist" for my tastes!

Although it did have one feature that Towed may want to consider in case of future cooling issues!!

I can't for the life of me remember what this was, but i really like this interior and especially the door handles

And i know i need to change the gear lever on the Miglia and this has given me a cunning idea! More to come on that one next week...

Last edited by davecymru; 29th August 2014 at 13:05..
Old 29th August 2014, 13:05

There were also more than a few pretty, pretty engine bays on show! The Mini boys really know how to make the most of a small package (fannaaarr)

And for the nerds amongst you, there were 2 of these at the show!!!

While i like a shiny engine bay, i do think the hot-rod boys win!!

An alternative idea for a fuel supply for the ocd amongst you

Old 29th August 2014, 13:26

like the Viking trike dash very clean and neat.
Old 29th August 2014, 13:53

Tr3 maybe?
Old 29th August 2014, 18:13
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecymru View Post

I can't for the life of me remember what this was, but i really like this interior and especially the door handles

My guess is that is a Vincent MPH.

http://www.vincent-mph.co.uk/index.htm
Old 1st September 2014, 10:05

humm.... Vincent does sound familiar.. it was V.nice whatever it was and i do like the Door Handles as a possible for the Miglia!

Lots of build progress this weekend, but not many photos to show for it.

The lowered floor pans turned up!
I've decided to use the alloy ones at the front (to look a bit posher!) at least for the moment and those along with the new glass fibre rear ones from Mike have now been trimmed, and bonded and bolted in place!

This means that the frame is now finally all bolted down and the fun can really begin.

(Note: pic above taken before these next "adjustments")
I then realized that i'd mounted the seat belt mount points on the wrong side of the frame so i cut them off and re-welded them on the front instead...

I've also re-adjusted the steering mounting so that I've got space to fit the dash gauges.

The front of the bulkhead also got bonded and riveted in place and I've mounted the starter solenoid as the first point of starting wiring everything up:

The plan from here is:

1) Trial fit body so that i can adjust the exhaust length and fit new exhaust bracket. fyi, i'm reusing the original one, at least for now, as it's very nice!

2) Finish fabricating the bulkhead, as that will allow me to..

3) Re-fit all of the wiring.

4) Run the last leg of the clutch and brake lines to the servos, that means that i can stop it once I've started it (always useful!!)

5) Adjust the steering column.

By doing all of that i will then have a running and driving moon-buggy and once i'm at that stage i will consider fitting the body! As i'm not making the same mistake as with the Sammio and doing that inside the garage!

How long to do all of this?? Fingers crossed, by next weekend?
Old 1st September 2014, 10:29

Looking good...... Did you receive your grill???
Old 1st September 2014, 11:23

Very nice - the alloy panelling is going well. That was one of my discussions with Mike, about the fibreglass bulkhead, but he was not happy with its fit so we decided alloy was the way to go.
Old 1st September 2014, 16:45

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Love the alloy floorpans/bulkhead, wish I'd done that with mine. Would've saved me a fortune in Hammerite rattle cans to keep the rust at bay.

Those internal door handles look like S2 or S3 Land Rover jobbies to me - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover...item33800da0fe

t'other side is also available on ebay.

Good luck with the moon rover stage, let's see this one on the road in double quick time!
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurcroft flyer View Post
Looking good...... Did you receive your grill???
Mike has said that it will be with me this weekend coming. Which will be good as it means i can cut the grill hole before i fir the shell!
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:38

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Hey dave my starter is on the other side of the engine (non manifold) side, ehat r u using?