Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin 5exi builds

Marlin 5exi builds Calling all you sexi builders....sorry 5exi builders, show us your progress.

Old 10th May 2004, 22:49

Tim is on a distinguished road
Default The floorpan

I'm going quite slowly on my build (but steady!!) I have the sides and bulkheads all neatly riveted and glued and now its the turn of the floor. The manual (and Mark) suggests that you rivnut the floor and then remove it for later fitting. I'm a bit worried cos (a) I dont have a hoist so I dont see how I can fit the floor at the end without mucho struggling (screwdriver in one hand, bolts in another floor pan in a third all while lying on my back) and (b) if its not sealed the car will leak in minimal moist conditions and (c) it should be stiffer if its properly riveted and glued.

What has everyone lese done and whaddya think?
Available from eBay
Old 11th May 2004, 08:28
Enthusiast

holgate86 is on a distinguished road
Default floor

I've just fitted said floor sections on my back and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be. The rivnuts were already there (first job done)the chassis having been turned upside down. I was going to get assistance to fit the floors but had a go on my own and it was ok. I was going to use a stick on seal (draught excluder) but found a product that Ford use to seal the rear lamps. It comes on an 18metre roll and is a bit like play doh. I think it's worked out quite well. I prefer to be able to remove the floor panels for access in the future. If you want the part number let me know. Brian.
Old 13th May 2004, 13:30
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

I've gone the other way.

I believe the reason Mark recommends removing the floor panels is for ease of access while fitting the under dash components etc. And not to rivnut to the outer chassis rail because the body panel needs fitting too.

The only other reason I can think of is if you are fitting the inner storage boxes as these lip under a chassis rail.

I have used rivets and tigerseal. I don't think that'll let any moisture in! (Peugoet just use Tigerseal to fit the wings on the 206). I have waited as long as poss before fitting the side panels so I still have good access inside the car.

BTW I haven't riveted and sealed the centre tunnel section. This is to be screwed in place later with a sealer to prevent moisture.

You can stand inside the car without having to worry about being on a chassis rail and the floorpan doesn't flex.