Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 1st October 2015, 20:39

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Well done Scottie - great to hear you are back on the road.
Old 2nd October 2015, 05:59

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22
I have done a lot of research into why the Triumph 1500 engine has a fairly bad reputation, and it seems that due to it having only three main bearings,
(British Leylands fault) if it is revved highly for long periods (hours),
then the oil can get hot enough to have the viscosity break down with catastrophic results, ie. A totally wrecked engine.

Another problem, on both the four and six cylinder engines, is oil starvation to the rear of the rocker shaft. I fitted one of these kits (not from the USA, there are UK suppliers) for peace of mind.

Good to see the beast is back together. Are you going to Castle Combe tomorrow? The BRM H16 is being run and maybe the ex-Graham Hill Lotus 49. It's a fabulous meeting and the weather's set fair .

Old 2nd October 2015, 06:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Your car looks great.

Really glad to hear you are back on the road again.

Enjoy, Paul.

PS
Has your car been sending my car tips on how to mis-behave?
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:32

swifty is on a distinguished road
Cool

The car looks great Scottie, its the small details of the light covers that make the difference in a car build, there still a few more weeks of good weather to enjoy the open roads.

Good luck matey.
Old 7th October 2015, 23:01

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Scottie , how is the paint holding up . I'm thinking of using the same nitro acrylic paint on my project. I tried the link to your supplier you posted a while back and it looks like they don't offer it anymore ?
Old 8th October 2015, 07:04

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Hi L@L,
The paint is as good as it first was, and seems fine, I will check with the place I bought it locally and get back to you.
I hope they still do it, as I would use it again.
Old 8th October 2015, 13:19

Right L@LM, I can't vouch for the link I gave way back. but I have checked locally where I bought my paint, and the paint, or the "system" is called "Mac 5" and they still sell it, and have no plans to stop.

I think I bought a litre of paint and one of thinners for about thirty odd quid, and you've seen the results on the car, one hell of a nice cheapo paint-job that would be hard to beat at that price.

The contact details are: Border Automotive on 01432 360 458

or: info@borderautomotivepaints.com

They should be able to get you what you need, or send you a colour swatch or whatever, good luck with it and post some pics!
Old 8th October 2015, 19:43

Thanks , I'll make some enquiries .

I'm looking for Ford Midnight blue to paint my 1949 Triumph Roadster. I really want to get this project finished and sold so I can build a 250 SWB !
Old 9th October 2015, 08:14

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
...that would be hard to beat at that price...
Too modest, Scottie.

Hard to beat at any price- how much did you invoice yourself for the labour?
Old 9th October 2015, 08:35

Default Friday

Yes Ian! The labour!
Doesn't bear thinking about, although having said that, I still don't think I did enough prep, as there are small crazes, bumps and lumps that I missed, and painted over, and also the paint has sunk in some places due to my lack of patience, waiting for the primer to dry properly, you would have to look close to see the bits I screwed up on, but still the overall effect from a few yards away is ok.

P.S The boot lid was deliberately done by rattle-can just to prove a point! And it took bloody ages too!!

For anyone that missed it, here is a couple of pics of a cheapo thirty quid paint job:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 9th October 2015, 09:01

IanA is on a distinguished road

I'd give you £50 to do my Z300S like that !!!
Old 10th October 2015, 13:28

Lightbulb September Auction Results

Just browsing through the auction results in the latest Classic Car Weekly - 1967 Jaguar XKSS recreation at Bonhams - £359,500. The 1968 D Type recreation at the same auction realised 'only' £42,550.
Old 10th October 2015, 18:22

If you're after the "looks" which is why most people buy a replica , then I'm sure Scotties car would rank up there with the best of them . A tribute to its builder , no pun intended !
Old 11th October 2015, 20:48

Default Sunday

Since I got the car back on the road there have been a number of small irritating things which I knew I must sort out.

One was the exhaust note, it sounded as though it was blowing a bit, so today, jacked the car up and fitted a new gasket between the
"4 into 2 pipes".

This was another fiddly-arsed job, which is why I haven't done it earlier!
It was blowing there, although when the gasket came off it looked okay, but its better now with a new one on.

While I had the wheel off, I cut a chunk of metal out of the inner arch, which I had put in some time ago, not realizing that in so doing, I had made it almost impossible to get to the carbs and filters for maintenance work.

Some pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11th October 2015, 20:59

deggsy is on a distinguished road

The car is looking stunning Scottie though a bit fiddly to work on that's why I went down the flip front route
Old 11th October 2015, 21:05

Its not a bit fiddly to work on Deggsy, its INCREDIBLY fiddly to work on, and in some ways I regret not choosing the flip front, but as they say its too late now.

Having bonded all the inner rear arches in and so on, to convert it now would be so much work, right now I can't face it!
Old 11th October 2015, 21:16

deggsy is on a distinguished road

don't bother the car looks too good to start chopping it about
Old 12th October 2015, 06:20

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
Its not a bit fiddly to work on Deggsy, its INCREDIBLY fiddly to work on, and in some ways I regret not choosing the flip front, but as they say its too late now.

Having bonded all the inner rear arches in and so on, to convert it now would be so much work, right now I can't face it!
Don't really want to say 'I told you so' but I seem to recall being quite the advocate for the flip front during the Sammio vs Miglia pros and cons debate a couple of years back.

One of the joys of my car is the unrestricted access to the motor, and if I need the engine out (which I have done twice now), I just undo two electrical connectors and two bolts and lift the entire front end off.

I know it's too late for you to change yours now Scottie but for any other prospective builders I'd strongly recommend a flip front.
Old 12th October 2015, 07:35

Mr Towed, I kind of knew I would regret it at the time, but still went ahead and did it!

I have seen your thread many times and marveled at the access you have.

I will just have to live with it and hope I don't need to do too much work in awkward places! (Everywhere under the bonnet!!)

I will echo your words: new builders-go for the flip front!

Mick O'Malley, bought his D Type in fixed front mode the same as me, but during the build he converted it to a flip bonnet, really good move Mick!!

Last edited by Scottie22; 12th October 2015 at 12:00..
Old 13th October 2015, 05:27

Default Flippin' Front

The rear of my flip front only comes up about 16" before the underside below the mouth hits the chassis frame. I could have chopped a huge chunk off the body to get it to open right up, but that would have spoiled the look of it. Likewise the front of the frame, but I envisioned a scenario where the car was inspected and the bloke said "sorry mate, you've got to have a Q plate".

I've fitted a header tank on the bulkhead where the battery used to be, so I can easily check all the fluids. Anything other than that, the front has to come off. Not too big a chore: four M6 bolts and two trailer plugs.

My 'Historic Vehicle' V5 has come at long last, the MOT pass and subsequent 'taxing' seem ages ago.

I know you'll keep at it until it's done Scottie, just remember - it's no fun if it's easy