Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 24th March 2020, 21:40

Hughandjen is on a distinguished road
Default Private plate

Back in July I was looking for a nice mumble plate for my tribute 250. I thought F250 WTF. would be quite a cool player. (Use your imagination s as to what WTF stands for). I contacted DVLA and they said that the plate has never been allocated and they would put it up for auction if I liked. Of course I said yes and he sure enough in Feb they told me the timed auction would be held in March.
Starting price was £130 plus fees etc so I started bidding. My max was £300 plus fees which would be £500 plus in the end. Unfortunately someone bid against me😩. After a couple of extra bids they are winning at £320 plus fees.
It’s gone too high for me now so if anyone on here as deeper pockets than me and want a great plate for their 250 then log on to DVLA timed auctions. Bidding stops at 11am tomorrow morning!!!
Good luck
Available from eBay
Old 26th March 2020, 07:21

smash is on a distinguished road

I've always bought from Speedyreg in Ireland. Be creative with your searches and they have bargains...
Old 26th March 2020, 08:06

Thanks that’s a good idea
Old 26th March 2020, 09:26

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Have you considered a ‘normal’ plate from the 1960s to go with the car?

This would be well under your budget.

https://www.plates4less.co.uk/person...-plate/AFW894A

If you want to chance your arm, you can get Black & White plates made up.

I stayed legal and went with raised plastic letters on my ‘1965’ plate.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 26th March 2020, 09:34

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If you want to chance your arm, you can get Black & White plates made up.

I have a black and white show plate with a legal black and yellow that I can clip over the top. I quite regularly 'forget' to clip the plate over and just run on black and white rear plate. I have been pulled a few times and had a photo from the speed police. The number plate has never been mentioned. Even the MOT man is okay as long as he has seen the bl;ack and yellow in the boot.
Old 26th March 2020, 09:44

That’s great advice. I will be getting black and silver shoe plates made up and chance my arm?
My friend had a new McLaren and never put a plate on the front of the car because he said it looked ugly!!!!!
He never got stopped in 3 years
Old 26th March 2020, 10:20

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I used to ticket people with dodgy 'show plates' all the time, but then I was a complete b&stard.

Actually, the only ones I actually prosecuted were those who'd altered the characters so much that the reg couldn't be read or was misread as another vehicle.

I almost arrested one driver because she was driving around in a Mitsubishi Lancer with a reg ending EVO that pinged as a stolen car from South Wales.

When I asked her if the reg number was correct she maintained that it was and that it was her car. On closer inspection I noticed that the letter O had a bit of black tape on it, which, when picked off showed up a 5mm gap half way up the right hand side of the letter. When I asked her if it was actually meant to be a C she got really angry and said 'Any fool can see that's a C.' Funnily enough, she got a ticket for failing to display her registration.

Oh, and I also ticketed a Ferrari owner for no front plate after he went past me at about 150mph on a local A road while I was driving a diesel Peugot prisoner van. I didn't try to go after him, obviously, but when you've had a unique custom wrap on your Fezza it makes it quite recognisable when you're sitting at traffic lights a few days later and a police van pulls up behind you...
Old 26th March 2020, 12:09

Show Plate and legal plate showing ther fixing method : https://photos.app.goo.gl/cvep1i5ymY6AcHBX7

What it looks like when Mr Towed is around : https://photos.app.goo.gl/iDqfZfXCWcPURWGR6
Old 26th March 2020, 13:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Haha, as I said, I wouldn't have pulled you over just for that as you can still read the number.

Anyway, I retired from persecuting the innocent motorist three years back and I now push bits of paper around instead of people.
Old 26th March 2020, 13:43

When I first had the car I used to get pulled over a lot as it was still registered as a BMW Z3 on the PNC. Hasn't happened since I re-registered it
Old 26th March 2020, 19:27

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
... still registered as a BMW Z3 ...
My Z300S is correctly registered on DVLA as WNZ3005 (thank you Speedyreg) but still comes up as a BMW when being MOTed.
Old 27th March 2020, 08:58

Mine comes up as BMW too, you cannot change that bit. The model is a Z300S Barchetta rather than a Z3 so when plod looks it up on his computer because he doesn't recognise the car he sees a name he doesn't recognise and assumes it is something old. If he sees Z3 he notices the car doesn't look like a Z3, assumes there is something dodgy and pulls you over for a chat