Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 24th November 2011, 12:00

Doogle is on a distinguished road
Default Hooked!

Ok I'v just joined purely because I'v stumbled across the sammio kits this week.
I bought the Haynes book a while ago with the intention of building a locost type kit car..its not happened i sold my donor car earlier in the year but a friend has some cheap sierra parts going.. so as you do Iv started looking for a chassis again, long story short while searching on ebay i saw the spyder kit advertised, went to the website and I see the 550 kit.

I'm a VW nut but love anything classic, If i was to build a kit car id love a 550 obviously with links to vw and looking more like a real car, but I cant afford some rival kits hence the idea of a cheaper haynes derived kit and Iv never bothered looking too deeply at anything else, until now.

So i am hooked! Still got my van to finish and a bike project lined up but theres always room for more ;-)
Already hunting for a chassis and some donor parts which shouldnt be a problem, why is it i passed up a complete rolling chassis a few months ago! Always the way.
Iv got a splitty gearbox spare that should already have the diff the right way round IIRC

So..Is anyone building one of these themselves? Am really interested to know more and keen on building one!

I'v even been scribbling out some ideas for gear linkage this morning and I havnt even heard back from you guys yet about a kit!
Available from eBay
Old 24th November 2011, 12:21

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default Hi doogle

Great that you have taken a liking to one of the models in the Sammio stable. I'm not building the 550 but will look forward to seeing your progress as will all the other regulars on this forum

http://garyssammiospyderbuild.blogspot.com/
Old 24th November 2011, 16:38

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the fold, Doogle.

As a VW nut myself I'm looking forward to seeing a 550 build and if Gary ever produces a 718 RSK body I'll be getting my cheque book out. Again. I hope it all comes together for you.

Gary's creations leave a lot more work for the builder than the more mainstream kit manufacturers, but you can't argue with his prices. I reckon my Sammio Spyder will cost me about 30% of what I was going to spend on a 356 Speedster replica, while I'd estimate that Gary's 550 will come in at around 50% to 60% of anything comparable.

Best of luck!
Old 24th November 2011, 18:04

Thanks for the comments guys.
I'm watching Gary's build thread at the moment, he's not far away so might have to go up there one day if possible and have a look. Can't wait
Old 24th November 2011, 20:20

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

DOOGLE ....Despite the user name , I am Gary ( if you google Lancelot link you will see a picture of me ! )

Anyhows , welcome to our humble clubhouse !

First I need to go through the initiation process ....Mike , my glamourous assistant is prepping himself as we speak !! ..................

The 550 is a new kit to me ...the Sammio came about because I wanted a 550 or similar and couldn't afford one ...we haven't finished a 550 yet but there are 2 in the shop being built...You are welcome to visit anytime you want , just check we are definitely here first.....Any questions , fire away !!
Old 24th November 2011, 20:33

Hi Gary! Initiation process..the mind boggles, should I be worried! :-s

It looks a lovely little car, Iv been reading through your thread here on the 550 today (been off ill this week, always a bad thing sitting on the computer all day dreaming) looks like its coming along nicely, cant wait to see what it looks like finished. Nice to see it developing and I'll watch with interest!
Would definatly be interested in a kit when one or even parts start to become available.
Old 24th November 2011, 20:35

PARTS ARE AVAILABLE .....

http://www.sammio-spyder.com/sammio550.html

and don't worry about Mike - he will be gentle with you !
Old 24th November 2011, 20:43

How much is a body?
Old 25th November 2011, 07:13

Patton is on a distinguished road

Mike's is very cheap a 550 a bit more
Old 25th November 2011, 07:26

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Boom Boom!
Old 25th November 2011, 11:23

I take it mikes not the pretty one then? Though going by Gary's pics on google what woman wouldn't want that king of the jungle!
Old 25th November 2011, 21:41

garyh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I take it mikes not the pretty one then? Though going by Gary's pics on google what woman wouldn't want that king of the jungle!
20 years ago...
Old 27th November 2011, 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
How much is a body?
Hi,
We can do a basic body that will need a bit of extra prepping at the moment for £1100
If you want a slightly better quality one ....we need to do a bit of work to the moulds ( as soon as the G46 moulds are tidied up and flatted out , we are on it )

A better quality one will be £1250

Thats a right hand drive one as we haven't finished the Lefty dash yet....and is full body , clamshell , doors , bonnet etc...