Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 18th July 2011, 18:02

mulberry is on a distinguished road
Default front coil springs

Has anyone got anyspare front coil spings, before i cut mine down to size, "back up pair" if i get it wrong..
Available from eBay
Old 21st July 2011, 06:17

Patton is on a distinguished road
Default springs

Hi, go for it I cut mine down by the same as my rear lowering block (80mm) thats with no load on the spring, it sits nicely I sliced mine as flat as poss across the spring it was abit squeaky bum but turned out a piece of cake but get replacments only if needed, Pat
Old 21st July 2011, 19:30

mulberry is on a distinguished road

pat you think 80mm is to low,? ive lowered the back by that much but me thinks she`s sitting on the floor. but im on 13" rims also, did you do it b4 vosa ?
Old 21st July 2011, 23:00

Sammio Builder is on a distinguished road

Well I've just cut mine down tonight, I went for 75mm but I'm using the swing spring setup.

Pictures of how it turned out here

Cheers for now,

Trevor.
http://sammiospyder.blogspot.com/
Old 22nd July 2011, 05:22

Hi, Mulberry it does look low on the herald rims but I' using 15" rims and VOSA didn't mind or notice on it's 13's as you can see in the pics she stayed on the trailer. Trevor, it wasn't to painfull then. I've just started sticking my pictures on blogspot also I'll get more uploaded and and put a link on here. Pat
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:14

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Hi Trev, It's interesting to hear that 2 1/2 turns (75mm in new money) off the front spring lowers as much as the 1" block and swing spring as that's what i've got on my back end. But then again i've got the straight 6 up front so i think that i'll start off with 2 turns and see how that turns out first.
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:16

Sammio Builder is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave,

It was actually 2 and 3/4 turns I cut off, to give you the heads up. I've changed the pictures on the latest update as the sun is shining today - good car building weather!

Trevor.
http://sammiospyder.blogspot.com/
Old 27th July 2011, 12:05

soporsche is on a distinguished road
Default Adjustable front springs, roll hoops and brakes

Hi all, ive gone for some good 2nd hand adjustable springs on the front rather than cutting down - similar to those used on the period rally triumphs, also adjustables on the rear but not the spring swing conversion (yet!).
Anyone have any direct experience of the swing spring vs fixed?
I suspect that these will be very very stiff when lowered to the correct (looks like a landrover at the moment) but should certainly eliminate some roll especially with the lighter Sammio body. Anyone else going the adjustable route and if so what types.
P.S. Im on 14 inch rims at the moment (MG wires and adaptor hub) but may replace with some 14 inch MG steel wheels painted to look period (actually spares on MGFs), Ive been told they will fit when looking at options and surfing the forums but not checked in detail yet.

Off topic but.... I have a roll hoop fitted above the drivers 'hump' but still considering whether to fit a brace bar from the hoop top left down diagonally close to the transmission tunnel into the passenger footwell... can anyone whos currently got their body/chassis stripped suggest a natural pick up point for the bottom of this brace if I do fit it (im trying to keep some room for an occasional passenger).

OK, i feel like ive hijacked the thread now, sorry!

Thanks and great progress Trevor, Patton and others...

Last edited by soporsche; 27th July 2011 at 12:13..
Old 27th July 2011, 20:58

Hi soporsch, I'm on lone to our ferndown office this week and had chance to call in and see Gary and Mike, No 2 is looking good they had just fitted your front adjustables loads of ride height choices, good idea! Your roll hoop is butch the brace could fit at the point where the floor pan joint is, 3 bolts hold the foot well down use the one nearest the tranny tunnel. i'm not getting much done on mine travelling to the bournmouth every day. Just got lights seats and paint to do i'm not liking this body work stuff so much flush mounting the rear lights.... Pat
Old 27th July 2011, 21:02

Me again, I'm using MGF wheels a minilite copy and bolt striaght on just for now as bright yellow is a modern colour, still can't tax her until the V5c comes back, night all Pat
Old 28th July 2011, 10:34

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soporsche View Post
Hi all, ive gone for some good 2nd hand adjustable springs on the front rather than cutting down - similar to those used on the period rally triumphs, also adjustables on the rear but not the spring swing conversion (yet!).
Anyone have any direct experience of the swing spring vs fixed?
I suspect that these will be very very stiff when lowered to the correct (looks like a landrover at the moment) but should certainly eliminate some roll especially with the lighter Sammio body. Anyone else going the adjustable route and if so what type?
When replacing front shocks for height adjustable, do you have to buy the struts and replacement springs? or just struts and keep springs, Sorry if this is a stupid question but trying to price up the swap out,
Regards
Psycho pops
Old 29th July 2011, 12:15

soporsche is on a distinguished road
Default suspension & update

Hi Patton, thanks for the update on No2 I havnt seen it myself for months as progress has been slower than expected but 'the builder' is a very busy man which I knew before I started and I like the work.
I am due some pics though!!

When it arrives, I will then start my own programme of bits and bobs; after reading the threads Im sure I will need a lowered floorpan and will eventually want to go the swing spring route.

It also will have a rename as No2 will dissapear, its currently known as project TS67 (well by me it is), to Gary its the Green car, to the wife its 'moneypit 2'

Thanks for the feedback on the MGF alloys, i now have a cunning plan!

Psycho Pops - if swapping out I would probably buy aftermarket shocks and adjustable coilovers as a set.. budget varies according to make but there are some OK deals out there.
In terms of handling, I do think the uprated front ARB(Spitfire) is a good idea whether you go swing spring or not and there are usually spitfire ones going as scrap or for low £ or the more expensive but shiny new ones from various suppliers inc Canley.
Having also driven a spitfire before and after - replacing all bushes front and rear with poly set makes a real difference... as with all these things it depends how far you want to go but if i were rebuilding from scratch I couldnt imagine putting a car back together without doing this.