Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 23rd November 2011, 11:30

red5 is on a distinguished road

Hey buddy - im near sherborne.

Mx5 powerframe I think is balenced so the engine sits on its mounts on the front suspension frame - i dont think separating engine from these mounts would be good karma.

extending the prop , and RSJ type support onto the rear would be more mechanically sound me thinks.

Also extending the steering column ( its a brakeable one ) might be a nause.

The Electrics are degree level to get your head round.

Last and most important one - MX5 is classed as a monocoque , removing the body = removing the main part of the car and its registration - Therfore you would need to IVA the new build..............

Ill PM my contact details if you still want to look
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:44

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Gary - Get behind me you devil! I will not be tempted. ;-) I really want to build the cheap and simple (not quick lash up) to learn what I can and cannot do. One car, one chassis and one body. IF I enjoy it then I might start playing and spending more money but for the moment this is a trial run.

Red5 - The engine sits on the subframe that holds the suspension but can easily be separated. The front subframe will be moved forward 10 inches with the wheels and suspension attached while the engine stays where it is with new mounting points built into the chassis.

I agree the engine could move forward to but one choice is extending the prop shaft and the other is extending the steering column and the prop takes a lot more torque.

Leaving the engine where it is, relative to the rear end means that everything mechanical (other than the steering column) is bog standard MX5 so if anything on the drive train breaks it can easily be switched out.

I know about the IVA but again, keeping it standard MX5 makes that easier. First check of the body shell (without screen) looks like it should pass and the stretched chassis gives even more crumple zone so hopefully I should be in good shape.

Sherbourne is a bit far at this point unfortunately but I may look you up again later,.

Thanks WCA
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:51

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default I'm with ya...

Loks like supras hold their price anyway... But it sounds like you can do alot already? Stretch this, stretch that! Lets make it happen
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:56

Default Loads of MX5s on ebay

If you Strrretch to £750, you could have one by saturday... i'm sure you can make some money from it.
Old 23rd November 2011, 13:50

I will wait until the January sales - when people are most broke and easiest to negotiate with I think.
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:50

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
One car, one chassis and one body.
Now there's a novel idea. You could try asking Gary J if he could knock up a one-off body to fit a single donor that wouldn't need much modding. A Triumph Herald or Vitesse, for example?

How about the 3 series Beemer? You'd have a lot more engine/drivetrain choice there and I've seen a few Cobra alikes that use 5 series mechanicals, so it's clearly possible.
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:16

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

The reason that I am using the Miata parts for my Sammio is because the availability of Heralds in the US is pretty limited!

I think that it is the perfect choice for the Sammio here. The wheelbase is almost identical. The body needs to be widened by 6 inches to fit the width of the Miata. I actually think that the added width will be a great look. And, the added cockpit width will be welcome by us "supersized" Americans!

The Miatas suspension cradles will bolt into my stiff and light space frame. (The Miata is a unibody and can not be used in the same way that the Gary uses the Herald.) By keeping everything in the same position as the Miata all suspension drivetrain parts, steering, pedals ect will be used in their stock location. The left over Miata parts can be sold for what most people will pay for the car to begin with.

There are several forums in the US dedicated to the MX5. There is a huge aftermarket supply of performance parts. All of which can be used on the Sammio MX5 Spyder.

I don't know about the "Soul" of the car. But, for sound, an aftermarket exhaust with a more aggressive sound is easy. Even a simple "Cherry Bomb" glass pack can give you a great rumble. The suspension on the Miata is a true double Aframe. Which is FAR superior to the swing arm designed used on the rear of the Triumph. When a Swing arm moves the tire contact patch lessens because the tire is moving in an arc. This causes snap oversteer. With a double wishbone design the tire moves more vertically allowing larger contact patches. And with this design the car is more predictable and control able. Hence, the great "power slides".

In the Miata, the scrub radius, ackerman, bump steer, roll center, brakes, steering are all better than on the older Triumphs. Nothing against the Triumphs. Just the natural progression in Engineering.

I think that Gary has done a great job to enable a cool car to be built and registered economically. But, for here in the US the Miata, I believe, is a better choice.
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:30

jmc - The G46 is all of the above without the need to get the body widened as it fits just fine. Stick the G46 onto of an Mx5/Eunos/Miata and you have a great car with the advantage of more flexible space than when it is on the Scimitar.

I have used Google Sketch to try and create a 3d model of what I have planned. It is not great as I am new to the software but if you dowload the free SketchUp software and then search the 3D warehouse for Sammio you will see what I have done so far.

Feel free to improve on it and load your own version up. Tag it as Sammio so we can see what has been done. The dimensions on my model are VERY approximate.
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc14 View Post
The reason that I am using the Miata parts for my Sammio is because the availability of Heralds in the US is pretty limited.

I think that Gary has done a great job to enable a cool car to be built and registered economically. But, for here in the US the Miata, I believe, is a better choice.
Yes I totally agree with the comments you've posted JMC, and I completely understand your problem in not having a ready supply of old Triumphs in the 'States. Of course the Miata is a suitable alternative donor due to their plentiful and cheap availability.

As a retired military engineer, however, I just love the older machinery: carburettors that you can balance; gears that you can hear meshing; oily smells that permeate the interior; proper, age-old dirt that gets ingrained into your palms while you fix broken parts at the roadside; and horse 'n' cart suspension that actually discourages you from crashing.

By all means build your Sammio on an MX5 platform. One day you may even go blasting past me as I slow for a slight bend in the road, but as I double-de-clutch my down-change (while holding the lever in place to stop it jumping out of third) and listen to the raucous roar of my ancient straight six on the overrun, you know who'll have the bigger grin on their face.
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:58

Me, as I drive back 30 minutes later to tow you home?
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:36

Ha Ha!

Best of luck with that, my MX5 broke down on me at the most inopportune moment.

Much as I like Japanese cars for their reliability, it was a myth as far as the MX5 goes. Or didn't, in my case.
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:40

jmc14 is on a distinguished road

i love the old cars too!
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:46

Only joking.

I just think there will be less going wrong and there will be more parts available to fix things.

i want to enjoy the building and driving rather than the restoration and repairs
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc14 View Post
i love the old cars too!
Nice one. My personal daily driver (Saab) is reliable, fast, quiet, comfortable, handles and is utterly boring.

My work car is reliable, fast, quiet, comfortable, handles and is utterly boring, even though I have to drive it at more than double the speed limit on a regular basis.

Sheer speed ain't all it's cracked up to be though: the toughest part of driving really fast is predicting what the other guy (or gal) is going to do in front of you and making allowances for it. That's where most 'press on' drivers get it wrong and kill someone, usually themselves.

In one of Gary's creations my stonking 95bhp is going to feel like plenty and my moniker acknowledges the fact that, after years of classic car ownership, I just know that they break down. A lot. And, as the 'Pistols would say, I don't care!
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:04

Oh BTW JMC, I've got to take my hat off to you for going out on a limb and importing a British body kit in the first place.

Jolly good show and all that.
Old 24th November 2011, 09:40

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Now there's a novel idea. You could try asking Gary J if he could knock up a one-off body to fit a single donor that wouldn't need much modding. A Triumph Herald or Vitesse, for example?
Following this thread with interest and quite enjoying the sparring....

I can see merits for both sides of the argument.....I love the fact that the flexibility of the package is giving you so many options ...I am a Hot Rodder primarily and refuse to be restricted by Kit Car mentality....open the box , bolt part A to part B building just aint my style .....nothing wrong with it but I like to think I am a bit more creative than that....

I may have an answer.......and I may not !!

WCA ....You want space frame , modernish 90's style mechanicals
TOWED .... You say keep it traditional and horse powery with an engine that looks like it belongs...

How about this ....

I have been keeping this one on the back burner as a potential turnkey option for the G46....

Its a TVR TASMIN ....made from early 80's up into the 90's can be run injected or not , modernish interpretation of a trad chassis , SPACE FRAME , HORSE POWER , credible donor that can be bought between £500 and £2000 easily....I have been watching these for a while on ebay.

More expensive start than an MX5 but no space frame build costs and NO SVA/IVA !!!......so potentially less expense.

Track width is about right.....Wheelbase is 94'' ....what we going to do about that ?

If you , or anyone else wants a G46 body modified to fit a Tasmin , I will shorten the rear deck , modifying the wheelbase and reposition the cockpit etc if required ....basically modify the G46 to qualify for the Tasmin chassis FREE OF CHARGE !!!!!

Whats the catch ? I would want to pull a quick mould from the area we modify that can be used with my existing mould to give the G46 another option....so I would need the bodyshell to be kept back for about 2 weeks after production to achieve that...

I'm sure the TVR has advantages and disadvantages ...but its a viable candidate in my book....

Now discuss !!
Old 24th November 2011, 09:52

Default Great batting, think man.

Well done, Gary... I like the the option 'keep it real'
Old 24th November 2011, 10:26

Once more you piss on my plans!

I am definitely up for this even though it comes with the Ford 6 pot lump ;-)

I am off to eBay to find me a TVR. If anyone on here sees one then please let me know.
Old 24th November 2011, 10:30

Could be the basis for a proper Black-Poole rocket Gary. (Geddit?)

I like your thinking.

Is there any way the 90's 3 or 5 series Beemers could give up their mechanicals?

That would give engine options from 1.8t diesel up to V8, with brakes and transmissions to suit.
Old 24th November 2011, 10:48

Where are all these cheap TVRs?

ebay/autotrader/pistonheads/bluecycle all say NO!

:-(