Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 17th December 2011, 16:25

veloce500 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Question - Spyder weight

Hello All

Im interested in building a Sammio Spyder but before I start I'd much
appreciate some owner/builder thoughts on my 'weight problem'.

I have a target build weight of 550kg or less (thats unladen weight). Im limited to that weight for reasons I can bore you all with on request !

For a Sammio Spyder build Im looking at a 1200 Herald donor, which before strip down will be in the region of 800kg. I'd like to build the Spyder with the 'deluxe' frame and retain the 1200 lump. Obviously I appreciate there are many other variables that add or subtract weight of the final build, but the body change will be the main factor.

So really for now Im just after some very basic advice - is a 250kg weight saving feasible ? Has anyone weighed their finished cars ? Any thoughts or guide figures would be much appreciated.

As a PS Im sure the Sammio 2CV kit would give a final weight very close to the 550kg mark (based on Lomax and Burton weights) but I dont want to go down the 2CV route again really.

Regards all and Seasons Greetings
Andrew
Available from eBay
Old 17th December 2011, 17:06

Patton is on a distinguished road

Hi, Skippy is abasic build without interiorlinings inner wheel arches etc and she weighs in at 570kgs thats wet and 20ltrs of fuel, hope it helps and welcome to the madhouse, regards Pat
Old 18th December 2011, 09:01

Thanks for that Pat and for the welcome

On that basis 550kg sounds well within reach. Discussions with "Bank Manager" can begin.....

Regards
Andrew
Old 18th December 2011, 13:25

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Welcome aboard .....I have been asked about the 550 kg. or under ruling before.
As you say , its easy with the Chevaux.

The red 66 car that featuires quite prominently on our website was weighed at the MOT station and weighed 690kg. with a 14 stone driver....that puts the car at just a tad over 600kg.

That was with about 10 litres of fuel and a fully lined and trimmed cockpit , proper seats etc.

So Pats at 570kg. and 66 at 600kg. sounds about right.

If you substitute the plywood for aluminium or fibreglass sheet , that will make a massive difference.

Also , if we made you a 20mm x 20mm box internal frame instead of the 25x25 standard item , that would bring the weight down surprisingly too...the Chevaux has the smaller diameter frame and the weight difference is surprising.

550kg is very achievable , I am sure.
Old 18th December 2011, 15:01

Thanks Gary

I doubt I'd use plywood, so with a ligher substitute (and draining that 20 litres fuel from Pats 570kg) gets to 550 easily and without having to go to the '20' frame. I'd much prefer the beefier 25. Im sure a sub-550 can be done with it now and the figures for Number 66 seems to confirm that.

Its surprising how much plating, trim, choice of fasteners etc etc can add. But its the big lumps that count of course. Ive found K-series engined De-Dion Caterhams consistently below 550kg, but X-flow engined cars consistently above, unless they are live axle and so on. Anything Pinto - forget it ! 550kg is largely academic for most people of course.

For info - for your Chevaux 'files' - a friends fully trimmed Lomax 224 c/w heater etc. weighed in at 525kg at our local weighbridge. My old 223 quite a bit lighter for obvious reasons..

Regards
A
Old 18th December 2011, 15:51

25 x 25 frame is cool...easier for me to do in the jig anyways !

Have you read the FUND RAISER thread ?

Your '' Bank Manager '' might find that of interest !
Old 19th December 2011, 07:46

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Perhaps there's a usp for the Sammio Chevaux and (possibly) the forthcoming Spitfire based Sammio:

A sub 550kg single seater version with a 'Guzzi motor that can legally be driven on a provisional licence...

Mind you, the thought of hoards of spotty seventeen year olds blasting around the countryside in lightweight, high powered sports racing cars does send a shiver down my spine.
Old 19th December 2011, 15:52

Dont worry Mr T - the requirement is for a B1 full category licence for sub-550kg vehicles.

It used to get granted automatically when passing the motorcycle test. That doesnt happen any more (not since 2001 I think ?) and a B1 is only granted with a full car licence. So fear not the spotty ones attacking from this direction.

Guzzi engines - I have a Triking that weighs in at 360kg. Sadly its an early one with a Guzzi gearbox though and that really needs changing. Thoroughly recommended otherwise although do need to be careful going around corners without a passenger !
Old 19th December 2011, 18:38

[QUOTE=veloce500;25223]Dont worry Mr T - the requirement is for a B1 full category licence for sub-550kg vehicles.

So fear not the spotty ones attacking from this direction. QUOTE]

Check the link below, specifically the paragraph entitled 'Supervision':

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/faq-answer?id=Q504

So long as it's 550kg's or less, only has one seat and is displaying 'L' plates it looks like you can climb aboard a Fireblade powered Seven on your seventeenth birthday and legally drive off into the sunset without ever having had a driving lesson.

That's quite some loophole...
Old 19th December 2011, 18:45

flippin 'eck - I see what you meant now re: the single seater clause .....!
Old 19th December 2011, 20:21

My mates son drives one of those 3 wheeler pickups on that clause ....the asian looking ones.

Wish I hadn't read that though.....gets you thinking.......

centre seat mid 50's Formula 1 style Sammio anyone ?

I guess as long as the hard tonneau was fitted or moulded permanently fixed , you could do a single seat LHD or RHD Sammio Spyder which would be quite cool...

What are the engine restrictions ?
Old 20th December 2011, 08:33

Loving that Merc'' Gary.

As for the engine restriction on the sub 550kg 'quadricycle' category, I haven't found anything in the legislation yet that would prevent a provisional holding 17 y/o (or 16 y/o in receipt of the higher rate of disability living allowance) from do'nutting around Halfords car park in a Hyabusa or TVR V8 powered single seater!

That's if mummy and daddy can afford the £1,000,000 third-party only insurance premium.

Could be a market for the ultimate Christmas prezzie for spoilt little rich kids...
Old 20th December 2011, 10:10

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

TVR V8 powered single seater!

Hmmmm. My godson has just turned 11. I reckon in 6 years time I will be looking for an excuse to upgrade or replace what I am planning on building now. That would be a cool birthday pressie for him. His parents think I am a bad influence now...