Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 7th February 2012, 17:37

GazDavies is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel tank

I know that most have used a Spitfire fuel tank but has anybody used a Herald fuel tank in their Spyder?

Having not started the build yet (deposit is in the post Gary) I am assuming that the spitfire fuel tank is used just because it fits better? Seems a shame to get rid of a perfectly good tank from the herald just to buy another.
Available from eBay
Old 7th February 2012, 18:26

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Same question I have been pondering - better still, two tanks, one modified to go the other side at the rear so you have one filler on each rear wing.

I am getting my kit delivered soon so will investigate further, but in the meantime I did buy a Spitfire tank off ebay and will mount this at the rear of the Spring across the boot supports, as I think Gary has done on a build before.

I did have a look at the early Landrover tanks as well as they are quite square, but since I want to get the car on the road for the summer, I don't want to spend too long on choosing! Maybe for the next project....a cordite maybe
Old 7th February 2012, 18:59

davecymru is on a distinguished road

The Spitfire tank is "easy" as it's wide, tall and narrow and ideally fits cross-wise behind the seats.

That said, as there is no pre-cut filler hole in the bodywork and as the supporting frame is easy to mod either by welding or bolting new bits on (as i did for my seat belts), then you should be able to fit just about any tank you want in the rear area as it is quite large and apart from the rear spring, there ain't much else back there!
Old 7th February 2012, 19:23

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Gaz , firstly , good to talk today and thanks in advance for the cheque !

You can use any tank that fits ....we use Spitfire as its symmetrical , oblong , easy to mount , upright filler cap and has a triumph friendly sender unit , ie. it works with the stock fuel gauge....

No reason why you can't use the Herald tank , it won't go in its stock location as the body is lower , but as Dave says , lots of room to fit it elsewhere....

I have used Morris Minor , Austin A40 and aftermarket fuel tanks also .....bit trickier to get a working fuel gauge but not impossible.....

As with all Sammio builds ....its your car build it your way...
Old 7th February 2012, 19:35

Patton is on a distinguished road
Default "Tank's"

I've used a reliant robin tank (40 ltr's ish) a flatish rectangle, but the plans for the burlington conversion give instructions on moving the filler hole to on top if your interested (or anyone) I'll dig them out, much flushing before cutting and welding or you could turn it into a dog WOOF! take care Pat
Old 7th February 2012, 19:44

That's great, as long as there is plenty of room I will have a play around with the fuel tank from my Herald and try to find a good place for it. My plan has always been to build in a storage space behind the seats so I guess that I would have had to do this anyway.
Old 7th February 2012, 21:18

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

I'm going with a Spitfire tank mounted behind the rear springs to free up space behind the seats for a luggage hold.

Mine cost me about twice what I got for the Vitesse tank on ebay, and as Gary J says, the filler is in the right place, it's a convenient size and shape and the sender works with the Herald or Vitesse fuel gauges.

If you do decide to modify your existing fuel tank just bear in mind what Patton's already hinted at: that you can create one hell of an explosion with just a little fuel vapour and a spark if the concentration of fuel and air is just right. If it's triggered when the fuel/air mix is at its optimum concentration, which sod's law suggests will be the moment you strike your arc, believe it or not you'll get a bigger blast than you could with conventional high explosive.

At least you'd then have the world's first supersonic sammio...
Old 7th February 2012, 22:08

I won't be modifying the herald fuel tank, just seeing if I can make it fit in there somewhere. If I can't, or simply think that it won't look right (filler position) then I will be buying a spitfire tank.
Old 7th February 2012, 23:31

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Umm, I need a new Scimitar fuel tank if anyone has one or a nice stainless stell one to hand

Old 8th February 2012, 14:08

garyh is on a distinguished road
Default Scimitar fuel tank on ebay

Item number: 260950357086

Try this WCA.
Old 8th February 2012, 14:35

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Cheers for the heads up