Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 6th December 2014, 14:26

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Paul,
I have doubts that the Red Miglia actually made what is claimed but anywhere near that would leave me very happy! and very very surprised!

Mac
Old 6th December 2014, 15:37

phil9 is on a distinguished road
Smile

well this is turning in to best bit of the day for me waiting for pic's ....its a great car one of if not the best...... but for some reason in the uk people like to knock the good old triumph ....nice car mate what is it a triumph u say ...o they say ...in the usa they love'em ......there right there are good cars...... europe were i be looking i think you get the big money i think its a 30k motor .....top job
Old 6th December 2014, 15:51

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
Thanks for your concern Towed I did get out although I wont pretend it was graceful!

Mac
Been there, done that, got trapped in the footwell, which is why I raised the issue.

As for valuing your car, I personally think most of the Sammio's taken to market so far have been undersold by a fair margin.

Like art works, one of these cars is worth precisely what someone is prepared to pay for it. When you've finished your car, take a step back and look at what you've actually created - these cars are simply stunning and way beyond what most people expect they can afford to own.

Advertise it as a cheap car, explain the troubled past of the previous owners of the marque in the ad and wonder at the lack of interest and derisory (if any) offers you receive. That's how many of them have been sold so far.

My advice would be to write up a hugely positive advert, pitching it as a very real (and far better looking) alternative to a Caterham 7 and priced to compete in that market, say £15-20k.

Put the ad in 'Octane' (and any other posh car enthusiast mags there might be), plus an ebay classified with a link to some decent you-tube footage of it howling round a track.

If it hasn't sold after a month or so then reconsider, but my expectation is that it will attract some serious offers if advertised appropriately.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 7th December 2014, 07:39

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Hey Mac, I know this is a kit car forum, and that is what most of us are building, but I think we all know the difference between a hastily-built "kit car" built by an amateur, and a bespoke hand-built one-off classic "relica" built by a professional!

Like Towed says, it will have to be advertised carefully in the right way, and in the right place, with a stress on the "hand built" "bespoke" and "quality" areas.

One idea may be to put in in a classic car auction with a good reserve, at least that way, you would get an idea of what value the auctioneer would put on it, and also what value the classic buyers consider it has, after all they are the people with the sort of cash to spend on some thing like that.

Also, if it were in the company of other original exotic machines, it may just get carried along on the wave?
Old 7th December 2014, 09:45

Quick update, hoping to get on and get the last coats of paint on today, spent most of yesterday cleaning the workshop so the dust is down to a minimum. swept the workshop 4 times until I was happy!
Although I had wet sanded the rear I hadn't got round to the sides, did the passenger side which only took about an hours then did a close up inspection and stoppered and small imperfection, welcome back the leopard look!

Fitted the second fake milspec:

Off to sand then paint, pics later.....hopefully
Old 7th December 2014, 10:48

just finished sanding back the leaopard spots and wet sanding the drivers side so am just waiting for it all to dry off. a quick shot showing the result of water in the air line when applying the last coat, lots of tiny pin holes. Each to his own but I dealt with it thus:
Wet sanded back with 600 wet until all the blisters were either gone or open.
Clean thoroughly using paint prep then blast them all to get rid of any dust or contaminants.
Left to dry for an hour and repeat the cleaning and air blasting.
Dried thoroughly with hot air gun on low from about 18" to 24"
Apply stopper and leave overnight.
Sand back and this is what you get, which looks awful but is in fact baby bum smooth.

I did consider going all the way to primer but spoke to a mate of mine in the trade who reckoned that as I'm still laying on at least 3 more coats this should be fine.

Passenger side done and ready for a final wipe down and paint.

Drivers side flatted and now drying, stopper in about an hour.

In the mean while im going to start wet sanding the bonnet again, I know I said it was done but have decided to refit and then spray the last coat all over to ensure there is no colour match issue between the bonnet and tub.

TTFN
Mac
Old 7th December 2014, 14:07

Well that's pretty much it for prep, all the stopper is flatted back /off and its masked up

And this took longer to sand than the bloody bonnet!

Right cup of coffee and a fag then paint mixing....stay tuned!

TTFN

Mac
Old 7th December 2014, 14:15

BazMason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
Baz,
Thank for the complement, I hope your right! there's no way its going to SL as import duty would be 100% !!
Its up for sale, sure you couldn't be tempted :-)

Mac
Mate, I would love to own this car however the truth of the matter is that I could not afford it. This deserves to make top money, sadly out of my league.

One day I will build myself one of these cars whether it be Sammio/Ribble, Tribute or whatever, one day....
Old 7th December 2014, 14:44

Cheers Baz, you never know make me an offer.....

So after talking to my painter mate I have this time slightly over thinned the paint and so far its looking good! Coat 1

Much reduced orange peel and a reasonable shine straight from the gun. You have to work a bit harder to avoid runs, none so far that I can see :-) about 20 to 30 minutes and the next coat will go down, aiming for a minimum of 3 and if I can get 4 I think that'll be it....

Back in a bit

Mac
Old 7th December 2014, 15:22

2nd coat on and the first....and hopefully last run!

The way its going on im eering towards 3 rather than 4 coats but lets wait and see. Coat three is decanted and ready for catalyst so another 20 minutes or so till coat 3. I'm going to knock back the catalyst a touch in coat 3 to let it flow a little bit more as coat 1 was touch dry in a little over 20 minutes without even leaving a finger print!

Back in a bit
Mac
Old 7th December 2014, 15:56

3rd coat on and still only 1 run that I can see.....

going for 4 then calling it a day.

TTFN
Mac
Old 7th December 2014, 16:31

4th coat down, very happy, need to get home and change out of my overspray ridden clothes so more pics later......
Old 7th December 2014, 17:02

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Good effort, colour looking mighty fine.
Old 7th December 2014, 17:58

Cheers T, much appreciated.

Final coat went on well couple of pics:

I did a quick walk around video which I will try uploading in a bit and post a link. I cannot tell you how relieved I am it went ok. I haven't done any serious bodywork for years and now am painfully aware of why that is!

TTFN
Mac
Old 7th December 2014, 18:11

Quick video walk around

https://plus.google.com/photos/11152...72187631903852
Old 7th December 2014, 18:32

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Very very nice! Seeing as I'm damn close to that stage myself it's good motivation to see how quickly you've done this and to such a good level!

As far as values are concerned....

Towed echoed what my dad always said: "something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it".

I would add my 2p as to what I think it'll go for, and why, but as this thread is going to play a large part in the sale, I'll just say that I think based on evidence of Sammio/Ribble sales from recent years there is going to be a _big_ difference between how much you will get for this in the UK compared to how much you could get from a sale to mainland Europe!

Get your Ad translated into German and the world is ur lobster!
Old 7th December 2014, 19:50

swifty is on a distinguished road

Very nice finish on the paint job Mac well done , it's taken a lot of hard graft but the result speaks for it self, i hope i can get as good a finish.

It will be very interesting to see how much interest the car fetches and the final price as this is the standard that the kit manufacture should of been selling the turn keys for if they had they may of had a good business model.

I look forward to seeing it in daylight, maybe a video of it running along with the induction ROAR.......
Old 8th December 2014, 11:18

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mac - Great work on the paint, really looking forward to seeing that colour outside in natural light.

The engine bay is also looking very smart too.

Good luck, Paul.

PS
Can I ask what sort of stopper filler you used?

As whilst this photo scares me when I think of how many imperfections I have to deal with.

It also gives me hope that I can get a smooth surface to paint eventually.
Old 8th December 2014, 12:12

Paul thanks mate. The stopper I use is this:

But as the BBC would say, other brands of stopper are available..
Its a single pack formula so no hardener it air dries. Because it air dries it should only be used for very small imperfections as if applied too thickly the base will never dry out properly.

Some shiny stuff going on:

On to the rear next then going to start on the dash.

TTFN
Mac
Old 10th December 2014, 18:29

Had to work for a living yesterday so no workshop. Finished a bit early so managed to get this cut out for the dial surround.

I have just finished gluing some rubber edge trim to it, very very messy!

Once the trim is dry the whole thing will be covered in leather, the edge trim will hopefully give the whole thing a bit of depth.

One thing I did manage to do yesterday was pick up the seat bases that I have had bent from 5mm Ali Sheet.

they are a bit oversized and will need trimming but the seats slip in nicely.

TTFN
Mac