Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 2nd July 2013, 17:35

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Hi Charman.tech, if you'd like to PM me the numbers some time I'd be grateful as I'd like to do a little more research.

The philosopy was to keep the mechanical side of the car 'as is' and simply re-body the Scimitar in the manner of sports specials of the day. The point was to retain all the good qualities of a proven design, edit out the bad bits and gently tweek where necessary.

Indeed the Essex is a very heavy lump but its an unbreakable engine which can be tuned, and is certainly suited to the Scimitar, which drives very much like a late fifties/early sixties car and as a recreation of a fifties sports special will be a lot of fun.

WCA - I can dream.
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:00

Default V5C - est arrivee!

Another milestone was almost passed today - my new V5C arrived!

Not bad considering it has only been 3 months (nearly) since the car was Vosa'd. (Full credit to Tribute Automotive for untangling the bureaucracy)

- Unfortunately I appear to have something called a 'Sammo G-46' - so the V5C is on its way back to Swansea!

Old 2nd July 2013, 19:29

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike55 View Post
Hi Charman.tech, if you'd like to PM me the numbers some time I'd be grateful as I'd like to do a little more research.

The philosopy was to keep the mechanical side of the car 'as is' and simply re-body the Scimitar in the manner of sports specials of the day. The point was to retain all the good qualities of a proven design, edit out the bad bits and gently tweek where necessary.

Indeed the Essex is a very heavy lump but its an unbreakable engine which can be tuned, and is certainly suited to the Scimitar, which drives very much like a late fifties/early sixties car and as a recreation of a fifties sports special will be a lot of fun.

WCA - I can dream.

Sorry wasn't dissing the Essex and it did go rather well in the Scimitar.
However I was told at a race meeting once that the Essex was better known as a "boat anchor"
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:30

Charman.tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Another milestone was almost passed today - my new V5C arrived!

Not bad considering it has only been 3 months (nearly) since the car was Vosa'd. (Full credit to Tribute Automotive for untangling the bureaucracy)

- Unfortunately I appear to have something called a 'Sammo G-46' - so the V5C is on its way back to Swansea!

Interesting point that, what are you going to register it as?
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:40

AndyP57 is on a distinguished road

I think he's meaning they misspelt it as a 'Sammo'
Old 2nd July 2013, 19:44

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Nah, it is because it was registered as a road going G46 - surely there is only one of those... ;-)
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:03

Viatron is on a distinguished road

I always thought the boat anchor moniker was attached to pintos?...
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:16

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting anyone was dissing the Ford engine - it is a bloody heavy block more suitable for a diesel (for which the block was also designed).

As for a 'boat anchor' - quite right, the Essex was indeed marinised.

From Wiki (if you believe it) :-

"The Essex V6 also formed the base for the 3.4L Cosworth GAA which, with the benefit of DOHC heads and fuel injection, generated 462 bhp (345 kW; 468 PS) at 9,000 rpm. This engine was used in the racing version of the Capri RS 3100, competing successfully in the European Touring Car Championship, as well as in Formula 5000 single-seaters"

- a 462 bhp G46....gulp.

Would be nice to find one of those engines though...

(Thinks: must redouble my efforts at finding the engine number details..)
Old 9th August 2013, 17:33

Too busy working (for peanuts) to do anything on the car, however the following was waiting for me when I arrived home this pm:

So after five months of waiting for the DVLA to get its act together it's official: I own a Sammio G-46!

- Now I must find some time to start building it!
Old 9th August 2013, 17:49

scimjim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From Wiki (if you believe it) :-

"The Essex V6 also formed the base for the 3.4L Cosworth GAA which, with the benefit of DOHC heads and fuel injection, generated 462 bhp (345 kW; 468 PS) at 9,000 rpm. This engine was used in the racing version of the Capri RS 3100, competing successfully in the European Touring Car Championship, as well as in Formula 5000 single-seaters"

- a 462 bhp G46....gulp.

Would be nice to find one of those engines though...

(Thinks: must redouble my efforts at finding the engine number details..)
a GAA powered Scimitar - called Blue Thunder it is the most successful Sprint & Hillclimb Scimitar at National levels to date. I believe that Bev once had to fly to Malta to pick up parts for it! (turn up the volume )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY5_T59MceY
Old 9th August 2013, 21:35

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

That does sound good.

Mind you, did you see Clarkson driving the F Type on 'Top Gear' last Sunday? That crackle on the overrun is something else! Shame it's auto only and nigh on seventy grand for the base model
Old 10th August 2013, 01:17

Scimjim: Sorry to subtract 'AAA' from the official list of Scimitars as such. I think I saw Blue Thunder at Curborough?

- Perchance I've been advised of a previously unknown Reliant Company project relating to a test in April 1955 at Le Mans of a G46-style vehicle known only as 'Broadsword'.

Apparently the code name for the project was 'Danny Boy'. My investigation should reach a conclusion in about 8 months.
Old 10th August 2013, 08:50

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Whoo hoo a real "official" G46!
Old 1st September 2013, 23:53

scimjim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Scimjim: Sorry to subtract 'AAA' from the official list of Scimitars as such. I think I saw Blue Thunder at Curborough?

- Perchance I've been advised of a previously unknown Reliant Company project relating to a test in April 1955 at Le Mans of a G46-style vehicle known only as 'Broadsword'.

Apparently the code name for the project was 'Danny Boy'. My investigation should reach a conclusion in about 8 months.
Yep - you would have seen Blue Thunder at Curborough every August for the RSSOC sprint.

Sounds like someone's pulling your chain re Broadsword & Danny Boy - "Where Eagles Dare" was 1968
Old 7th September 2013, 18:20

...oh well there goes that pretence.
Old 6th October 2013, 13:16

Monthly update: October 2013

Nothing to report. Have been working long, odd hours so no G46 time, other than thinking about style options.

Took an unpaid week off in early September with the other half who needed a break and went to Cornwall. I came down with a virus day after we arrived.

I think a lot about the car and as other builds on this forum (and other cars elsewhere) take shape I note interesting choices between those that have modified the body, and those that haven't.

Looking forward to see mickey1mo's G46 in colour.

No work scheduled for next week but bike in for brake discs/pads and also a new footrest after dropping it last week (oops), so no transport for a day or two.

Will spend a few days at the farm moving junk from one end of the barn to the other in order to get the XJ6 out of the way so I can shuffle the junk back in order to make space for the Scimitar to go up in a couple of weeks.

Should be set to start work on her by the time it starts to snow....

Last edited by Nike55; 1st November 2013 at 16:29.. Reason: Zpellingz
Old 1st November 2013, 16:46

Monthly update; November 2013

Nothing to report. Have worked last 21 days straight through to cover shifts; a little stir crazy.

Current work scheduled until next Tuesday then off until who knows when..
Hopefully will get up to the farm in middle of next week to carry on with sorting out space, Jag strip etc

Love mickey1mo's G46 colour, it was very close to the one I had in mind.
There's one Red one (Orca), one blue one, (mickey1mo). So that leaves BRG,
and Yellow... If I was going to 'build to sell' it would BRG, wire wheels and brown/red leather interior...

Looking forward to seeing photo's of mickey1mo's G-46 complete, as I'm still not sure if I'm going to move bulkheads etc.

I've used 'golden mean' calculations on photographs of the plan, side, front and rear elevations and was surprised that the G-46 fits surprisingly well, it just doesn't seem like it 'in the flesh'.

I hope to physically start work on the thing in a couple of weeks (maybe) so will update as and when.
Old 20th January 2014, 22:49

Annual Update 2014 (Just in case any friends drop by).

Nothing happening at present, hope to resume (start?) in April.

Oh, can advise that Clas Olsen do a neat, cheap, tarpaulin 3 of which I have used to wrap the G46 on the drive since April 2013.

They have survived sun, wet, frost and high winds and show no sign of damage, although they have creased and wrinkled a bit (but who wouldn't).

Have also used them on the chain link gates of the workshop (to provide some respite from the east wind and they have survived considering they are simply fixed in place with cable ties.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Tarpaulin/Pr407375000

See you in April

Last edited by Nike55; 20th January 2014 at 22:50.. Reason: corrections
Old 21st January 2014, 18:09

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tarpaulin link.

The ones I buy tend to fall apart far too quickly.

Hope you are able to get stuck into your build in April.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 21st January 2014, 19:21

Cheers Paul, they are very good for the price.

I've been watching your progress with interest. Amazing what can be done on the driveway and new skills learned. Sadly I have a dwarf wall six inches away on one side and a shared drive with a neighbour's car two feet the other way, otherwise I'd have put up a marquee. Sadly the neighbour works nights so there's nothing much I can physically do at present. (Excuses excuses..)