Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 2nd May 2019, 11:18

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road
Default New idea....

Hi to all. During the past couple of years we have had two companies that have made Porsche 356 Speedster replicas using the Boxter as a base. These companies are DNA in the UK and Starke in the USA. There is also a very nice 356a Coupe replica built by speedster Clinic.

Why doesn't someone build a 356 Coupe style kit or even a retrostyled version for the 911. I'm sure you can find many old 911,s at a reasonable price that could be upgraded this way (although some purists would hate this idea).

Something similar to this....

Or the classic 356 Coupe panels adapted to a 911.

Well, it.s just an idea.
Available from eBay
Old 2nd May 2019, 20:57

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

It does sound good, as you said the purist wouldn't like it, but they wouldn't be buying it.
Old 3rd May 2019, 03:09

Aus Simmo is on a distinguished road

I like that car a lot. Ignoring the donor/base car (to remove purists from the equation) its a cracker.

In my opinion it needs an older 911 as I think the more recent ones are a bit bloated to pull of the sleek lines of a true 356 tribute. The obvious problem being that older 911’s are the most sought after and therefore expensive.
Old 3rd May 2019, 07:35

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

The biggest issue I have with 356 style cars on Boxster or 911 donors is the scale.

Old Porsches - 356's, 550's, 718's and early 911's were compact and the dimensions had balance.
As Porsche developed their cars, in order to fit wider tyres to cope with more power the bodies had to be widened, then lengthened and raised both to fit in all the extra stuff a modern car has - ABS, Power Steering, Climate Control, an infotainment system (whatever the hell that is), etc., and to keep the looks balanced.

Hence, to my eye, a 356 body that's much wider and taller than the originals just doesn't quite work.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the styling of modern Porsches, but they've been designed to look great at the size they are, while the 356 was designed to look good as a tiddler.

To give you an idea of just how bloated a modern Porsche looks compared to the early ones, this is a 550 Spyder parked next to a 'lightweight' Boxster Speedster -

while this is my Spyder (similar size to a 356) next to a modern 911 -

As you can see, the moderns have grown so much that they're now about 25% bigger in every dimension, making them just too big imho.
Old 3rd May 2019, 18:37

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

One is a grown ups car, the other is driven by Noddy.

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 9th May 2019, 22:19

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

And a lot of lardy modern cars actually have less room inside than their smaller earlier versions. Plus they take up more room in the parking spaces.
Old 13th May 2019, 15:44

Barber is on a distinguished road

Nice looker, how about a Scimitar? The front struts on a Z4 are probably too high?