Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Bertini Builds

Bertini Builds Bertini GT25 Builds and discussion

Old 27th October 2013, 18:04

Anthony Cherry is on a distinguished road

Thanks again DSG4ME. I love it when people get involved and give me ideas.
:-)

I have spent so long looking at the back of cars trying to figure out what lights to use.
Old 6th November 2013, 00:02

I have just had a shed load if Bertini badges delivered from China (300 to be exact!)

Now I just need to sell 150 kits lol ;-)

Old 6th November 2013, 05:08

Ozzie Dave is on a distinguished road

On your lights issue, smaller numbers are viable through other suppliers, but remember the biggest issue is 'e' mark certification and testing, you should also check what some of after market manufacters can do, one or whether you can make a compasite lamp by using one of the SVC part units, and maybe a modified reflector or suchlike that fits next to it. testing alone would be in the many thousands of pounds.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:35

DSG4ME is on a distinguished road

I think Ozzie Dave has a point there about having some special lights made if you don´t find suitable units. It would cost a fortune to have them made, plus type approval, testing. etc
I have looked around too see if there is anything similar to your Porsche units and there isn´t a lot on the market. Maybe 1990,s Alfa units or 2006 Honda Accord ???

Have you thought of making your own custom units using off the shelf lights (E marked). This was popular a few years ago with Pontiac Fiero based kits. (like in the first photo)
You just make the lamp surround in fibreglass/plastic and add lights of your choice. And some smoked glass/perspex to cover them.

Brytec has some nice looking LED tail lamp units which I think are not too expensive and are just another idea.

I´m sure you already have a good idea what the rear will look like. Can´t wait to see the next development of the car.
Those badges look very good, I hope you do sell many kits. :-)
Old 7th November 2013, 09:44

Ozzie Dave is on a distinguished road
Default lighting

like the top one, make a GRP housing for it, one that could have a perspex cover fitted over the top that follows the curve of the car should the user wish (yes then it can be done after regestration). far lower cost and no issues with legality. In certification the lights are tested for beam dispersion I believe (which really is stupid if made of lots of leds as it should not be required) but its a way around the issue and a significant saving.
I would be surprised if cut down lamps passed as they would have been 'modiefied', from when they had their original certification.
Please dont take this as a critisim as its not meant to be, it looks great, its just trying to get something done when there may be a far cheaper option, and a cost like that could be recouped over a number of units, but why not turn it into profit earlier(as long as its not too bigger compromise).I did certifications on a charger cost over 8K, after making 500 units decided to change and required new set of certs, solution change a plug and the charger cost me $3 with certs already done by someone else!

Last edited by Ozzie Dave; 7th November 2013 at 09:46.. Reason: final line added
Old 7th November 2013, 22:01

Cheers for the replies guys. I think it will be fine in the UK. As it just needs to pass the MOT. I'm not aware of the US or Aussie regulations. But I have a few contacts in both countries and will check it out. I'm running with the 996 rear lights for now. Hopefully they will be fine as the cluster is unchanged apart from the top indicator.
Old 7th November 2013, 22:02

The rear is now filled smoothed and ready to have the moulds and mouldings made.

Old 8th November 2013, 09:07

Hi there,

Now that smoothed out rear is looking good. It kind of reminds me a little of a modified Z8 special. It also looks very wide. The light units look good.

I suppose there,s not long left to see the ´finale´. :-)
Old 8th November 2013, 09:18

I was defiantly influenced by the Z8, F type, E type and eagle speedster rear ends.
The Porsche lights really help the back look wide. A look I really like.

I should have some finished mouldings and the mould done for the rear around Christmas. The first finished and fitted kit fully painted around mid February.

It needs to be totally done by mid February to ensure I can get it in a feature for a kitcar magazine before the stoneleigh show.
Old 10th November 2013, 10:46

Here is a Bertini GT25 article in the news section from the November issue of KITCAR magazine.
Old 18th November 2013, 15:57

I have had some key rings made. I intend to include a key ring with each kit. I'm a bit of fan of the little details 😃
Old 19th November 2013, 12:53

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Hi - I posted about my Z3 based 'special' back on page 2. Just an update - it is now on the road. Still some detailing to be finished but I reckon a decent paint job and fitting the wire wheels (and the interior) are the last big jobs.

As you can see, the style is far more '50s than your more modern interpretation so I don't think they will be appealing to the same buyers, not that I am selling the kits.

Old 19th November 2013, 14:04

It looks great :-)
Defiantly has a different feel about it. Yours has a funky retro vibe.
I spoke to Chris last week and he said it was pretty much finished. Great work!

I look forward to meeting up with you at stoneleigh. :-)
Old 19th November 2013, 14:45

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

See you at Stoneliegh hopefully.

Will yours be ready then?
Old 20th November 2013, 01:13

The car should be finished sometime in February. I hope to have two cars for the stand at stoneleigh. :-)
Old 17th December 2013, 10:53

With the front mold completed and the first molding made from that mold. We have now moved onto the rear.
This is a progress shot of the construction of the rear mold. It's nice and thick and constructed such that when the moldings are taken from it the one piece rear will include the rear light mountings and the boot lid returns to reuse the existing boot rubbers.
We should have the first molding made from this mold just after Christmas.

Old 21st December 2013, 09:03

Things are moving along quite quickly now. There has been a news article in KIT CAR BUILDER magazine in USA and also the first rear moulding has been produced. I expect to start fitting them to the actual car early in January.
Then it's just a boot lid, mini front wings, bonnet light brackets and under skin.

Old 30th December 2013, 08:50

Here is a hint of what the prospective Bertini Fastback coupe lines might look like. The fastback should share all the body panels with the roadster except the boot lid. This will mean roadster customers could convert their car to a fastback at a later date.

Old 2nd January 2014, 13:12

Hi there, I really like the idea of a Bertini Coupe or fastback hardtop, especially if one can inter-change tops for summer or winter use.

I hope you don´t mind, I have done a quick Photoshop image of what a Coupe could look like. I`m sure you have many ideas in the pipeline.

Happy New Year.

Old 2nd January 2014, 13:45

That's pretty much what I was thinking.
I like the addition of the central exhausts.

The coupe and roadster will be stand alone cars. They will just share the majority of the panels. This will mean a roadster owner can turn their car into a coupe. But this would be a pretty permanent change.
It is however my intention to make a removable hardtop for winter use. This will be more back swept than the existing Z3 hardtop but will still enable boot lid opening. It may be made with a 355/mr2 buttress style rear to enable more fastback lines and still allow boot lid opening.